PDA

View Full Version : Shen-Hao 5x7 Film Holders

Michael Alpert
23-Aug-2007, 09:01
Recently, I was asked to test the newly developed Shen-Hao 5x7 film holders. These holders are scheduled to become generally available at the end of this month, depending on shipping, customs delays, etc. The holders are made of wood, with a firm metal core and metal (or plastic) darkslides (I cannot tell which, and I don't want to scratch the darkslides to find out.). The holders are carefully made, with dove-tailed wooden parts for strength and durability. I am not sure what species the wood is, but it looks like spruce to me, with a very smooth tough surface and good tensile strength. One holder came in a natural (clear) finish and other was painted black. I believe that the natural finish will be the one that will become available. (The black paint did not look as durable or attractive to me as the clear finish.) All parts are accurately made. The dimensions (insert depth, overall dimensions, etc.) were identical to Fidelity holders. In the field, I found that I could use these holders interspersed with Fidelity holders without any awkwardness.

I've always used Fidelity or Toyo (8x10) holders; so I was, at first, a little suspicious of wood construction. However, I found that the holders work well. They are easy to load and use, with no light leaks or other problems. I made several suggestions to the importer that I will be implemented. One involved dust, which I needed to blow out of the light trap; but I've had that same sort of problem with other new holders. The slides and the locks are a little on the stiff side (especially the locks) but it is far preferable for them to work a little hard than for them to be too loose. I expect the locks to loosen up with use.

I know Badger Graphic Sales will be handling these holders. I am not sure what other importers in the U.S. will have them. With these holders (and with Fotoman's forthcoming holders) 5x7 again has all its parts available.

I have no commercial relationship with Shen-Hao. I am a customer of Badger Graphic. I was given the two holders that I tested. Otherwise, there was no compensation. I was not asked to post this message, and I am doing so simply to let people know about the renewed availability of 5x7 holders.

wfwhitaker
23-Aug-2007, 09:22
Thanks for the info. Judging from the photo at Badger Graphic's site, they're pretty, too. Hope they do well; sure would be nice to see these in 6 1/2 x 8 1/2 and 7x11. :)

Dave Aharonian
23-Aug-2007, 09:29
Thanks for the info. Its nice to know there will finally be something new on the market. I've been purchasing used 5x7 holders with mixed success so this is good news.

Michael Kadillak
23-Aug-2007, 11:40
Thanks for the info. Its nice to know there will finally be something new on the market. I've been purchasing used 5x7 holders with mixed success so this is good news.

I also am encouraged to see someone recognize the void in this market and step up. Speaking of 5x7 film holders what is the latest on the Fotoman (?) 5x7 holders and has anyone purchased their 8x10 holders and is able to comment on these after using them?

Many Thanks

Scott Davis
23-Aug-2007, 11:57
I saw some of the Fotoman 4x10 holders at APIS/PhotoArts Santa Fe at Midwest's booth and they seemed quite serviceable. Keith Canham was pointing out something about them that he had originally seen in a prototype that was a flaw, but in the production model had been rectified. Not having a 4x10, I was not able to put any film through one to verify film flatness/light tightness, but they felt in the hand to be every bit as good as a Fidelity holder.

As to the due date, I posted an inquiry on the Fotoman website, and his response was "end of september, perhaps earlier". Apparently there were some issues with the molds for the holders that had to get worked out. They worked out those issues with the 4x10 holders, so these should be easier to take care of.

Nick_3536
16-Sep-2007, 03:43
I received a few of these yesterday [Shen]. So badger obviously now has them in stock or did when I ordered -)

Ross Chambers
22-Sep-2007, 01:01
Yesterday I tried out the 2 Shen Hao 5x7 holders I received from Badger and processed the results today.

They seem good to me, they are smooth to load with film, smooth to insert into the back of the Shen Hao camera, the dark slides glide out for exposure, no fogging, it's a bonus to see the correct seating of the holder resulting from the contrast between the black of the dark slide and the lightness of the wood framing.

I'm used to the wee handles designed for extracting the dark-slides to be offset and the Shen Hao ones are both centred, but that's really nitpicking!

My only concern was that the Chinese gardener who came over for a yarn while I was shooting was uncertain of the translation of "Shen Hao."

Regards - Ross

Michael Kadillak
22-Sep-2007, 20:26
Some wooden 5x7 holders with carbon fiber dark slides showed up on @Bay for $129 each. Seller is View Camera Club based in China.

I wish them the best but for that money they can keep them. For this price I would rather have a plastic Toyo 8x10 holder with the special injection moulded end flap.

Rafael Garcia
23-Sep-2007, 15:53
Price?

Nick_3536
23-Sep-2007, 16:08
Just surf over to the Badger website. I think they are less then $70 but I don't really remember.