PDA

View Full Version : Need feedback: current value Master Technika

Arne Norris
22-Aug-2007, 14:02
I've been looking to buy a used Master Technika. Most I've seen are about 20-30 years old. I'm looking for feedback on what the current going rate is for Mint or Mint- camera bodies of this vintage.

What have people paid or sold their MT cameras for recently?

douglas antonio
23-Aug-2007, 01:26
arne,

i doubt you will find a camera mint or mint- 20-30 years of age at a reasonable price.
a master technika in a really good condition would be about $2500 on ebuy.
on the camera shop basis the price is often much higher.
if you really want a mint- master and can afford a shop price, you may find one here:
http://shphoto.de/cgi-bin/shphotod.pl?f=GRUPPE&start=1&dif=50&c=Grossformat+Kameras,+Objektive+und+Zubehoer&t=temgroup

i have no connection to this seller!

douglas

Brian Ellis
26-Aug-2007, 17:07
I offered mine which was in mint minus condition and included a $250 after-market screen, new folding focusing hood ($500), original instruction manual, plus a couple small accessories here for $2500 and had no takers. I ended up selling it on ebay for somewhere around that price, I don't remember the exact amount.

gregstidham
27-Aug-2007, 07:43
I purchased a Technika IV in May 07 here on this forum. The body needed a hand grip and I also sent it into Technika service to have a lens cammed and tuneup. After I was done I had spent $1250 total. I think I got a fair deal IMO. The camera works great now after service. The sharpest and tightest field camera I have owned.

I looked on ebay for many months before. Technika IV's and V's were selling between 900 - 1500 for basic bodies and one lens maybe. A large 3 lens body kit with cams would go for 1800 - 2500. Master Technika bodies always were 2700 - 3500 depending on the accessories. New Master Technika's command at least 4000 - 5000, but I didn't watch those much because my budget didn't allow for that.

IMO, take a look at the IV and don't let the cam interchangability scare you. Sending the camera into Martin at Marflex for lens camming is easy and working with him is like having your own personal tailor for your camera. Service like his is rare in today's world of camera sales and repairs.

David A. Goldfarb
27-Aug-2007, 08:03
IMO, take a look at the IV and don't let the cam interchangability scare you. Sending the camera into Martin at Marflex for lens camming is easy and working with him is like having your own personal tailor for your camera. Service like his is rare in today's world of camera sales and repairs.

This is good advice, considering that if you want to have additional lenses cammed with a Tech V or MT, you'll want to send the camera in anyway to have Martin check the rangefinder and groundglass calibration, and you might as well have him install the focusing scales and infinity stops, and he might be able to do other useful things, like setting up multiple lenses to use the same infinity stops.

Frank Petronio
27-Aug-2007, 13:27
I bought a Tech V for $8-900 and spent $800 getting it CLA, cammed, fresnel, new bellows, etc. then added the grip and bracket, multi focus finder so I have about $2500 invested, including a Linhof select lens. I got a new covering from cameraleather.com and it was 30 mintues to install that. It is now a nice looking camera that works perfectly and I couldn't be happier.

Since even some of the Masters maybe be 20 pus years old, and well used, I would buy the camera based on milage, not year of manufacture. The only advantage I know of that the newer Master has is the top flap for raising wide angle lenses. Since I rarely use wides it is a non-issue.