PDA

View Full Version : Hello from MTL & Looking into LF photography

mariomel
22-Aug-2007, 07:42
Hello all, I am from Montreal and looking to get into LF photography. I am currently working as a freelance photographer here and also in my last semester of the DIP photo program. I currently work 99% in digital.

I have an opportunity to trade an old Canon 10D for a Cambo monorail NX45 with 150mm Rodenstock lens, along with a few film holders. I am primarily interested in the LF for architecture work. I have been using a PC lens (tilt/shift) on a 5D up til now. I know very little about LF, except for a few webpages that I have read on the subject. I do know that the 150mm lens is more of a normal lens, not a wide angle. I plan on scanning my negs as I am very used to working in PS, and not really up to dark room work.

Can someone advise me on if this is a good combo for me? What are the things I need to know? Also, are there any places in Montreal that sell good used LF stuff?

Thanks, and looking forward to posting some stuff here.

Mario

Ralph Barker
22-Aug-2007, 09:29
Welcome to the LF Forum, Mario.

The Cambo sounds like a reasonable trade, although as you mentioned, you'll probably want a wider lens - probably a 90mm with good coverage to start.

Mark Sampson
22-Aug-2007, 09:31
The Cambo will be a fine camera for architecture. You will want a wide-angle lens, as well. The 90mm f/8 wideangle (made by at least five different manufacturers) will be the one to start with.

mariomel
22-Aug-2007, 10:03
Thanks guys. I'll look around for that lens.
I hope to be able to post on this site in the future.

M

Jim Galli
22-Aug-2007, 11:00
I started with a Cambo and a 210 many years ago. They are fine cameras. You'll want to find a "bag bellows" and an accessory shorter monorail to go with that 90 when you get it. Then the sky's pretty much the limit. I can't resist commenting that when the Canon is all done in a couple of years from now, the Cambo will be going strong.

Mark Sampson
22-Aug-2007, 11:34
I'll try to be more specific; some of the lenses I meant were these. Schneider Super-Angulon, Nikon Nikkor-SW, Rodenstock Grandagon, Fujinon-SWD, Calumet Caltar (usually a re-branded Rodenstock), one made by Ilex Optical. (There are more.) All basically similar in concept, all good, many different price points on the used market. A look at Kerry Thalmann's site, or the lenses section on the front page of this site, will help a lot.

Tri Tran
22-Aug-2007, 11:42
Hello all, I am from Montreal and looking to get into LF photography. I am currently working as a freelance photographer here and also in my last semester of the DIP photo program. I currently work 99% in digital.

I have an opportunity to trade an old Canon 10D for a Cambo monorail NX45 with 150mm Rodenstock lens, along with a few film holders. I am primarily interested in the LF for architecture work. I have been using a PC lens (tilt/shift) on a 5D up til now. I know very little about LF, except for a few webpages that I have read on the subject. I do know that the 150mm lens is more of a normal lens, not a wide angle. I plan on scanning my negs as I am very used to working in PS, and not really up to dark room work.

Can someone advise me on if this is a good combo for me? What are the things I need to know? Also, are there any places in Montreal that sell good used LF stuff?

Thanks, and looking forward to posting some stuff here.

Mario

Salut Mario,
Bienvenue au LF forum. Please contact Randy and Sal at 514-862-2613 for used LF Gears. He's not to far from Corelab.They handle all the camera trade show in Point Clair once a month.PM me if you need more info.

A bientot.
TT

mariomel
22-Aug-2007, 14:57
Thanks Guys! I got the camera today! I traded it for a used 10D.

I got the camera, two film holders, a polaroid holder, a shutter release, and changing bag and a bunch of film (some recent provia 100F and some expired BW from 1970!) Do you think the bw film can be any good?

Now I need to learn how to load the film, focus, frame and get the feel for the camera.

Hopefully I'll get to play with it soon.

Thanks.

Mario

Jim Galli
22-Aug-2007, 15:13
Mario, when the slide handle is at the top of the holder, the film notch will be to the right. Have fun!

Jan Pedersen
1-Sep-2007, 21:35
and some expired BW from 1970!)

Welcome Mario.
The 1970 B&W film could be just fine, depends on how it was stored but try it, you may be surpriced. it's possible that you would need to develope a little longer due to Base fog but B&W film does not age like digital cameras.
Have fun.

Rob_5419
11-Sep-2007, 18:07
Bienvenue Mario,

Lol - you do need a lens with that kit too ;)

Film from the 1950's like Panatomic X can be developped without problems. There is a technique to developing expired film in order to suppress base fog.

Perhaps it isn't the best way to start your LF experience, although for practicing on, and developing as usual, it might be just fine.

Good luck!

Capocheny
11-Sep-2007, 18:46
Now I need to learn how to load the film, focus, frame and get the feel for the camera.

Mario

Hi Mario,

Welcome to the club (from Vancouver, BC)... here's a link that will show you how to load your holders properly:

http://www.butzi.net/articles/filmload.htm

Quoting Jim Galli's comment:

"I can't resist commenting that when the Canon is all done in a couple of years from now, the Cambo will be going strong."

I can't agree with Jim more! :)

Cheers