PDA

View Full Version : Where can I find Kentmere art paper?

scorakci
21-Aug-2007, 18:27
I'm trying to make bromide print. I couldnt find any Kentmere Art Paper document in New York? Does anyone know? where can find in New York.
Thank you very much for your help
servet

matthew blais
21-Aug-2007, 19:34
I believe it's gone...as in defunct..kaput... and will not return

Robert A. Zeichner
21-Aug-2007, 21:37
I'm not sure what exactly you mean by art paper, but both B&H in NY and Freestyle in Hollywood handle Kentmere and while B&H shows the Bromide graded paper as a special order item, Freestyle appears to have this in stock.

matthew blais
21-Aug-2007, 22:02
From Tim Rudman's site:
2) Art Classic & Art Document update: **(see new update below)
As reported in WOLP, since Felix Schoeller ceased production of the base material used for these unique papers, Kentmere have been trialling a number of alternatives with a view to releasing its Art Classic and Art Document emulsions on the proposed new base, probably under the names Classic Matt and Art Matt.
** Update August 2007:
As reported in WOLP, since Felix Schoeller ceased production of the base material used for these unique papers, Kentmere have been trialling a number of alternatives. The plan was to release its Art Classic and Art Document emulsions on the proposed new base, probably under the names Classic Matt and Art Matt.
The new Art Classic emulsion did not bond well with this base and trial coatings proved disappointing and temporarily have been abandoned. Experimental work with hardeners is still under consideration and further work on this paper could be continued at a later date.

The new Art Document Pro on this base is successful but required a supercoat layer - fine for normal printing, but it inhibits infectious development and therefore makes the paper unsuitable for lith printing.
I must modify my earlier website observations about 'second pass' lith processing after bleaching a conventionally processed print. This is successful and potentially very interesting for the right image. The results are colourful pastels reminiscent of the colours of the old cadmium Kentona when selenium toned after Lith - pinks or oranges on blue-grey/lilac/violet low values. However, you won't see these colours until the print is dry, as 'colour down' is quite dramatic.
The colour balance depends as always on how early/late the print is snatched from the second (Lith) developer. Low value Dmax is a bit weak looking after 'fix up' but the soft pastel look suits the right image. Subsequent selenium & gold toning is not too exciting, but useful for cooling down the colour.
The possible introduction of a separate non-supercoated version for Lith has not been ruled out.
P.S. This paper is extremely buoyant and if you use an archival slot washer you will probably need to weight the paper down with a film clip.

scorakci
21-Aug-2007, 22:34
Dear Mathew,
Thank you so much for answer, you made my day.
regards

Pete Watkins
22-Aug-2007, 00:27
Retro Photographic here in the U.K. were selling a paper that they claimed was a viable replacement for one of Kentmeres art papers ((Art Document, I think). I can't find any information on their website this morning but it could be worth e-mailing them.
Pete.

scorakci
22-Aug-2007, 17:48
Pete,
Thank you, I'm cheking on the internet

Yojmbo
21-Nov-2011, 09:30
There is normally (even now) a regular supply of Kentmere Art Classic 20x24 available on Ebay in the UK, and I've just seen some 10x8 currently on Ebay - Item number: 120811468140.

SMBooth
22-Nov-2011, 13:23
You could try using Fomabrom 112 or Ilford MG FB, does Kentmere Fineprint VCFB still exist as that I'm told works too.

Emil Schildt
23-Nov-2011, 15:03
OOH how I dislike Ebay sometimes.... Here I watched the lot Kentmere Art Classic just sold...

Wrote the seller and he would be happy to ship to Denmark.

But Ebay wouldn't let me bid!! And they wouldn't let him change his settings so I could make a bid......

50 sheets 8x10 Kentmere Art Classic went for 31£.... I was willing to bid about 100£ higher...

CRAP!!

(I know the new Ilford Art 300 is supposed to be good - I have ordered a pack to try, but I was still willing to pay double up for the Kentmere....)

(And I thought Ebay wanted to earn money...)