PDA

View Full Version : 12" (300mm) f:9 Red Dot Artar

J V McLure
19-Aug-2007, 20:04
All,

I just picked up a 12" (300mm) f:9 Red Dot Artar mounted in an ILEX No. 3 shutter from the For Sale and Trade section of this forum today. I hope to use it as a long lens for my 4x5 field camera. I am not having much luck finding some necessary information. I'm sure someone here will be able to help.

First, which lens board will I need to mount this lens? Would a Copal N0. 1 bore fit this shutter? If not, what is the matching Copal size.

Next, what is the size of the image circle this lens will produce?

Has anyone had any experience shooting landscapes with this lens?

What f-stop should yield the best results?

Thanks

J V McLure

David A. Goldfarb
20-Aug-2007, 05:55
The lensboard doesn't match a Copal size. You need an Ilex 3 flange, which should ideally come with the shutter and will be screwed to the front of the lensboard, and requires its own size hole.

I use a 19" Apo Artar on 8x10" and larger cameras--very sharp lens with good contrast, even in my uncoated version. I think they're generally optimized for f:22.

Michael Jones
20-Aug-2007, 06:22
All,

First, which lens board will I need to mount this lens? Would a Copal N0. 1 bore fit this shutter? If not, what is the matching Copal size.

Not copal; its an ilex #3: 1.985" bore is required.

Next, what is the size of the image circle this lens will produce?

In excess of 300mm when you use a small f stop such as f45 of f64. I used one on
8x10 for years.

Has anyone had any experience shooting landscapes with this lens?

Works perfectly for any image, but may be considered too sharp for portraits.

What f-stop should yield the best results?

f16-22, but if you contact print, any f stop.

Enjoy; its a great kens.

Mike