PDA

View Full Version : Telar Lens

seawolf66
19-Aug-2007, 07:18
The telar lens is that a specific lens manufacturer or is it a type of lens not able to locate info on Telar lens !! Have kingslake book [Lens in Photography ] but nothing on it : thanks for any info on this matter

Ernest Purdum
19-Aug-2007, 07:44
Telar is an Emil Busch tradename. The bis-Telar, (the "bis" means revised) was the first fixed focal length telephoto lens. I think Kingslake refers to that. Oops, I was thinking of his other book.

Ernest Purdum
20-Aug-2007, 10:04
I just received a translator's confirmation of what I had supposed was the basis of the name Telar. Like very many early lens names, it is from Greek. "Tele" is Greek for "from far", so Telar is a lens for taking pictures from far from the subject.

Uli Mayer
20-Aug-2007, 11:23
The Bistelar was not only the "first fixed focal length telelens", as Ernest wrote, but also the first complete tele lens. All tele lenses before were only supplementary lenses: a "tele negative" - that was to be attached behind a common lens. By using the prefix "Bis-" ( = Greek for "two" or "twice") Busch made clear that this lens consisted of both parts. Otherwise it might have been named "Mono-Telar".

seawolf66
20-Aug-2007, 16:46
Ernest: which book does that information is in By Rudolf Kingslake , I have been to the Library but need to wait while they find it, seems it got misplaced [History of the Phographic Lens] , I have looked on ASK.COM and could not find anything about Emil Busch , the only thing I found was a Booklet on camera eccetra.com and It was writen in French, Not able to determine how good they are ??? But thanks to you and the other person for the great explaination on what Telar means , and its interesting that Emil Busch was the first with a true Tele Lens!
Ernest do enjoy your trip :

Jason Greenberg Motamedi
20-Aug-2007, 17:42
I always wondered what the bis- prefix meant, I was just too lazy to look it up. Thanks Ernest and Uli.