PDA

View Full Version : 4x5 Equivalent to Fuji Neopan 400?

brian steinberger
18-Aug-2007, 21:59
I have recently found my love in medium format for Fuji Neopan 400 developed in xtol 1:1. Unfortunately, Fuji doesn't make it in 4x5. Actually, just recently I found out that Neopan 400 is a traditional emulsion. I had no idea. I had always figured it was a modern emulsion based on Acros. Anyway.. does anyone know which current 400 speed 4x5 emulsion (HP5, Tri-x, Tmax 400) behaves most similar to Fuji Neopan 400?

davidb
18-Aug-2007, 22:08
probably HP5 as Tmax is a T-grain modern film.

Ron Marshall
19-Aug-2007, 01:17
It's my favourite for medium format as well. I like HP5 and TMY, but neither is quite the same as Neopan 400. I haven't tried the latest iteration of Tri-X, it might be the most similar. I'm planning to try it in 6x7, once my current stock is depleted.

cobalt
19-Aug-2007, 08:59
I have recently found my love in medium format for Fuji Neopan 400 developed in xtol 1:1. Unfortunately, Fuji doesn't make it in 4x5. Actually, just recently I found out that Neopan 400 is a traditional emulsion. I had no idea. I had always figured it was a modern emulsion based on Acros. Anyway.. does anyone know which current 400 speed 4x5 emulsion (HP5, Tri-x, Tmax 400) behaves most similar to Fuji Neopan 400?

Hi. Welcome to the club. :-)
Fuji Neopan 400 is an incredible film, my absolute favorite. It was recommended to me a few years back by a camera store owner, no longer in business. He gave me a roll of 120, gratis. Said if I was into bw portraiture that I should try it. I asked him why, and what film was it "like". His response: there is nothing like it.

He was right.

I don't understand Fuji: they made some of the best cameras and optics in the world, and abandoned them. THey make the best bw film there is, but refuse to make it in any size larger than 120. Frustrating. HP5 is a great film, but nothing at all like Neopan, regardless of how you develop it. Neither is Tri X. Tmax 400? Don't make me laugh.

Oh, by the way, try it in Perceptol or Tmax. I find that it is great in every developer I have used....still can't figure out why.

brian steinberger
19-Aug-2007, 09:31
I don't understand Fuji: they made some of the best cameras and optics in the world, and abandoned them. THey make the best bw film there is, but refuse to make it in any size larger than 120. Frustrating. HP5 is a great film, but nothing at all like Neopan, regardless of how you develop it. Neither is Tri X. Tmax 400? Don't make me laugh.

Totally agree! Fuji does make some of the best films in the world and yet only has two black and white emulsions, and people absolutely love them! Yet, they don't sell the only 4x5 B&W film, Acros, in loose sheets in the USA, which I know drives people mad. You can still get it direct from Japan, but still. And man, if they would make the Neopan 400 emulsion in 4x5, that would be amazing!! But I know Fuji has a great commitment to films in general, and I applaud them for that.

Til then, I think I'm gonna run some serious tests on HP5 and see what I can come up with. Thanks everyone!

davidb
19-Aug-2007, 09:41
I am pretty sure MPEX has Acros available in non-QL.

Darryl Baird
19-Aug-2007, 10:35
re: Acros 100, loose sheets

so does Badger:
http://www.badgergraphic.com/store/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=1954

Jon Shiu
19-Aug-2007, 12:22

Hi, can you describe the qualities you like about Neopan 400?

Jon

brian steinberger
19-Aug-2007, 13:48
Jon, the main thing I like about Neopan 400 is the higlight seperation. Beautiful glowing highlights, that never seem to burn out. Of course I ran tests to determine proper development time for myself. Another thing I like is very fine grain, especially for a traditional emulsion. This wouldn't matter much for 4x5, but for my 6x4.5 work, it's great. Third thing I like, price. Very inexpensive when compared to other 400 speed emulsions. And lastly, when developed in Xtol 1:1, I get full speed from this film. I hope this helps decribe the qualities I'm looking for in a 400 speed 4x5 film. Of course, price wouldn't matter that much though.