PDA

View Full Version : am i the omega man?

cobalt
18-Aug-2007, 07:51
Hi.
As indicated in a recent post about a harrowing experience in a local camera shop, I prefer using film. I've had several digital cameras, and have enjoyed using them. I have, however, recently sold my one remaining digital camera. I use my flatbed scanner and Epson printer simply as proofing devices, used primarily to determine whether an image is good enough to print on silver. I recently picked up a 645 in order to "shoot from the hip" as it were, and those are the only negatives I am interested in enlarging; I have discovered the jewel-like quality of a well done 4x5 contact printed image.

I know many here use both digital and film cameras. I consider what I do primarily art photography, although I have been persuaded from time to time to shoot a wedding, graduation pics, etc. More often than not, I find I am turning down opportunities that prevent my from using my medium of choice. My favorite response as of late has been " I don't do that sort of thing."

My recent experience, being annoyed by salespeople telling me that digital is the wave of the future, has prompted me to seriously wonder:

Am I the only photographer left alive who uses film exclusively? (I also use cameras and lenses, for the smart-assed that may reply ;) )

Bill_1856
18-Aug-2007, 08:26
You're a Luddite. What do you care what other people do or think?

Randy H
18-Aug-2007, 08:32
The last remaining "real" camera shop we had where I live, went from analog to digital to a custom frame shop. The next to last time I went in, the salesperson (store manager) started telling me about how I needed to get a digital. About how resolution was so much better. About how much quicker they were. I agreed that the new Canons and Nikons were really good, and tried to drop the subject. He continued to show his "intelligent superiority" ( I think to impress his new salesperson)> I finally explained to him that I had absolutely no interest in his digi equipment, and if he could show me a picture from his Canon who's resolution equaled the res on the camera I had in the trunk of my car, that I would consider buying one. He agreed. I went and got out both my cameras that I had in the car. One was my whole-plate size Conley. The other was the 8X10 Century I had just finished rebuilding. He started back-pedaling, and attempted to tell me "Well, you can't even get film for those anymore".

I guess things like that are why they are now a custom frame shop and not a photography store. Not even digis.

Don't shout me down. Like Percy, I did use digis. In school, we spent one semester of class on digis and Photoshop. They may well indeed have their foot permanantly implanted in the world of photography. Just not in my little world. To me, there is nothing like the feeling you get when you see that image pop up on the negative. Or the rush from pulling the print from the developer and having in your hands something that you created on your own. Something that no other person alive on the face of the earth can duplicate. Close maybe, but not exactly. It is a one-of-a-kind, uniquely yours, masterpiece. And sorta similar to Percy, I don't even own a scanner. Just no interest.

Jorge Gasteazoro
18-Aug-2007, 09:01
No you are not the only one, there are plenty of us out there who have not been assimilated.. :)

claudiocambon
18-Aug-2007, 09:17
If you are not commercially dependent on your photography, then you should view this as a relative, artistic choice. If, instead you are, you should be careful that you do not curtail too many opportunities. Positioning yourself as an artist and craftsman who uses increasingly historically dated techniques (but not less artistically relevant) will potentially restrict the number of clients you may have.

I share your concerns about digital, and continue to shoot a lot of film because I don't like computers, but in my commercial work, I had to adapt and shoot digital in order not to lose work.

By the way, a Luddite is not someone who opposes technology per se; they were more flexible than that. The Luddites opposed the rapid introduction of new technologies that instantly displaced and devalued crafstmen, leaving them not only without work, but with a destroyed sense of self and community.

John Kasaian
18-Aug-2007, 09:18
Besides all that's been said here, digital cameras aren't 'chick magnets!' :)

Ron Marshall
18-Aug-2007, 09:57
There are many others of your kind; they congregate at a site called APUG.

Bruce Watson
18-Aug-2007, 09:58
You're a Luddite. What do you care what other people do or think?
Agreed. Why do you care what other people think? You don't have to justify yourself to anyone, nor do they have to justify themselves to you.

BrianShaw
18-Aug-2007, 10:58
You don't have to justify yourself to anyone, nor do they have to justify themselves to you.

Please explain how and why you reached this conclusion. Present quantitative data whenever possible. :D

Bruce Watson
18-Aug-2007, 11:06
Please explain how and why you reached this conclusion. Present quantitative data whenever possible. :D

No. ;)

davidb
18-Aug-2007, 11:16
No digital photo here, other than for ebay stuff.

John Kasaian
18-Aug-2007, 13:09
am i the omega man?

Do you use an omega enlarger? :D

gr82bart
18-Aug-2007, 14:16
Am I the only photographer left alive who uses film exclusively?Nope. Go to http://www.APUG.org and http://www.ToyCamera.com You are not alone.

Regards, Art.

raucousimages
18-Aug-2007, 15:02
I use digital when it is the best medium for the job. Why shoot film if the customer wants images for a web site or he needs it NOW! But my portrait work is almost totaly film.

Bob Gentile
18-Aug-2007, 16:19
Digital for eBay and stuff like that... film for everything else.

Maris Rusis
18-Aug-2007, 20:26
I still use light sensitive materials to produce 100% of my work. Even my photographer's card reads "Guaranteed no digital " on the back.

Winger
18-Aug-2007, 20:27
I own no digital cameras. At last count, about 26 film ones, 6 or 7 that I use as regularly as possible (from 35mm to 4x5).

Brian Ellis
19-Aug-2007, 09:32
"Am I the only photographer left alive who uses film exclusively."

Not yet.

Bob Salomon
19-Aug-2007, 09:56
I still use light sensitive materials to produce 100% of my work. Even my photographer's card reads "Guaranteed no digital " on the back.

That could turn some clients away.

Richard Kelham
19-Aug-2007, 10:00
I would really recommend APUG if you're feeling outnumbered.

If I was still earning a living from photography I would have to go digital, no two ways about it. Fortunately I can choose, and I chose to bin my digital camera several years ago (it had already died) and I'm in no hurry to replace it. It I absolutely *have* to shoot digital (eg web-site stuff) then I borrow my wife's!

I will continue to shoot film for as long as someone makes it....

Richard

Richard Kelham
19-Aug-2007, 10:01
I would really recommend APUG if you're feeling outnumbered.

If I was still earning a living from photography I would have to go digital, no two ways about it. Fortunately I can choose, and I chose to bin my digital camera several years ago (it had already died) and I'm in no hurry to replace it. If I absolutely *have* to shoot digital (eg web-site stuff) then I borrow my wife's!

I will continue to shoot film for as long as someone makes it....

Richard