PDA

View Full Version : Linhof Technika V & lenses is any good for shooting automobile architecture.

Deepak Kumar
17-Aug-2007, 19:07
I saw Linhof V super with Super Rollex (6X7) back and three lenses ( plus accessories )at young antique dealer shop. He obiviously does not know anything about it and demanding big amount thinking that it is rare collector item. these are lying on his rack for more than two years:)

Now Lenses on offer are Super Anglon 90 mm F/8, Schneider Xenar 150mm F/4.5 and Schneider Kreuznach 360mm. what I gather from this site and other sourse is that all lenses offer minimum image circle in their respective class.:(

Should I go for it and at what price, considering the fact that I intend to shoot architecture and automolibe in future. Right now I plan to go Ladakh for some landscape photography.

I originally planned to buy Sinar F2 for myself. Do you think that these lenses, roll film back and filters (linhof inserting kind) would be of any use on sinar considering image circle and my future application.

My current gear are film and digital nikon F-100,D-200. I have had mamiya few years back.

thanks in advance

Regards

Deepak

David A. Goldfarb
17-Aug-2007, 19:26
Do the lenses have matching cams with the serial number of each lens on top of the cam and nothing on the bottom of the cam? This can make a significant difference in the price.

The 90/8 is probably a Super-Angulon. The less desirable Angulon is 90/6.8.

The Linhof drop-in filters work with any lenses that they fit (most modern lenses) as long as you have the shade and filter holders.

The price of the kit would depend on condition and what the other accessories are.

If you want to shoot 6x7, you'll have plenty of image circle. If you shoot 4x5" you could always add other lenses if you need more image circle.

You can do a lot with a Tech V, but for architecture and automobiles, you're probably better off with your original idea of a Sinar F2, which is easier to use with wide lenses.

Deepak Kumar
17-Aug-2007, 19:43
Thanks Devid

camera and lenses are in like new condition. As for cams I did not know of them when I saw these things. surely I had seen one or two there but could not guess what they were. there were many (8-10) filter that fitted in lense shade. I don't know if lense shade fits all lenses.

Btw I am quite a beginner. Using the view camera By Steve Simmon and Large format landscape photography on the way. All I leant is through this forum. This forum is my Guru.

Regards

Ron Marshall
17-Aug-2007, 20:00
Deepak, I have a Sinar, and it is an excellent camera especially for architecture, but it is not quite as portable as a field camera. You can either detach one side of the bellows and fold both standards inwards, or you can put both standards onto a 6 inch rail. In either case it is fairly compact and fairly easy to transport.

Good luck shooting in J+K, that is a place I have wanted to shoot for many years. I've been to India but never made it there unfortunately.

Deepak Kumar
17-Aug-2007, 20:17
Thanks Ron,

I still plan to buy sinar f2 along with linhof or replacing body only. That is why I am asking that how much these lenses & equipment (specially roll film back) will be useful with sinar and how much $???? should I offer for said gears.

I am keen on rollfilm back becouse I don't have money to send on medium format as well. Any price indicator will be very useful.

Brian Ellis
17-Aug-2007, 21:23
Cams are important only if you planned to use the rangefinder on the Linhof. I wouldn't expect that for automobiles and architecture you'd be likely to do that since you can't use movements when you use the rangefinder and architecture, maybe automobiles also, would typically require the use of movements a lot of the time.

The 90mm F8 Super Angulon offers something more than minimum image circle. I don't know about the other two but you can learn a lot about all three of them from the Schneider web site (www.schneideroptics.com). I've never owned a Sinar, I'm not a big fan of taking monorail cameras in the field, but I don't know why the three lenses couldn't be used with a Sinar though you probably wouldn't be taking full advantage of the Sinar's range of movements. OTOH, lenses that would take full advantage are likely to cost a lot more than these three. The roll film back should also be usable on a Sinar I would think but a Sinar owner could tell you for sure.

I've owned two Linhof Technika cameras, a Technika V and a Master Technika. They're great cameras. I never photographed automobiles but I did a fair amount of exterior architecture and the Linhof was fine for that. For interiors, however, where a 58mm or 65mm might be used a lot, the Technika V wouldn't be ideal. But if I understand your last message correctly your thought is to buy both the Technika and the Sinar so you'd have the Sinar available for interiors and other things beyond the range of the Technika's movements.

Ron Marshall
17-Aug-2007, 21:56
The 90mm has sufficient image circle with 216mm, but the 150 only has 180mm which is a bit tight. The 360, unless it is a tele design will have more than enough coverage.
360 is a fairly long lens for 4x5 and a big jump from 150. You might find a 210 or a 240 more useful.

You may find that once you become accustomed to the large negative of 4x5 that you may no longer have an interest in using the roll film back.