PDA

View Full Version : Tachihara vs.Toyo??

Clint Hill
16-Aug-2007, 21:19
Well, I'm finally beginning my journey into 4x5 LF and I'm very excited! I've been shooting 35mm for about six years now and feel I'm ready to start using my dream format. I shoot only landscape, so I'm looking for a good landscape setup. I've narrowed it down to the Tachihara and the Toyo 45AX or 45CF but am open to others as well. Anyone have any input on the pros and cons to either of these cameras?
Thank you all for your time.

Brian Ellis
16-Aug-2007, 22:46
Eliminating the Toyo CF would be easy for me. It doesn't have back movements and I consider back tilt, and to a lesser extent back swing, to be very important. One of the most common movements you'll find, even in landscape photography, is aiming the camera up to include something like the tops of trees in the photograph, then tilting the back forward to eliminate convergance of vertical lines. With no back movements you can't do that so I wouldn't buy the CF for that reason alone regardless of its other qualities.

I've owned two Tachiharas but no Toyos though I've played around with a couple Toyo AXs. Both cameras have about the same length bellows, just shy of 13 inches I believe. The Tachihara is about two pounds lighter and costs a lot less than a Toyo AX, especially new. Neither accepts a bag bellows. The Tachihara has a very flexible bellows that will alllow you to use a lens as short as 65mm, I don't know how the AX compares in this respect. The Toyo has front shift, the Tachihara doesn't, but I've never found shift to be particularly important, I just move the tripod a little.

However, Toyos are metal cameras while the Tachihara is wood and a good metal camera always beats wood when it comes to things like precision, solid feel, smoothness of operation, etc. If weight and price aren't considerations I think I'd go for the Toyo much as I like the Tachihara. I think the Toyo AX is just an all-around more solid, better made camera. But if price or weight are considerations then I'd go for the Tachihara, it's a perfectly fine camera and will serve you well, especially for landscape photography. And at a cost of $595 it's hard to beat.

I'm sure others will mention a Shen Hao. That would be a fine choice too. I happen to prefer the Tachihara because it weighs two pounds less and the extra movements the Shen Hao has aren't important to me but it's a good camera and some people prefer it to the Tachihara.

Darryl Baird
17-Aug-2007, 07:25
First, I've owned a Tachi, but not a Toyo. I always thought the Toyo AF/AX were desirable models, but out of my price range since I no longer use a camera to produce income...when I did I owned a Linhof Technika.

The only thing lacking with the Tachi was an international/graflok style of back, because I always liked being able to use roll film holders (still do.)

I recently sold the Tachi and bought an old Wista 45 (metal) for a song and have all the features and more I need in a much heavier package. If I was backpacking or hiking I would have kept the Tachi, but my work allows me to use a bicycle or car for 90% of my shots.

kev curry
17-Aug-2007, 07:38
Being new to LF and having only ever used the Tachihara, I cant give an informed opinion. But that said the tachi is a lovely camera, being well built, with plenty of movements and very light weight. I do mainly landscapes myself and find it very easy to set up and take down not to mention carry, which I find very important. It will also accept a range of lenses from 65mm-300mm - Nikkon M 300.
The camera features in 'USING THE VIEW CAMERA' by Steve Simmons and I believe it gets a recommendation by John Sexton. The more time I spend with the tachi the more I enjoy it....I don't think you could go wrong.

Clint Hill
17-Aug-2007, 09:07
Wow! Thank you all so much for your wonderful information. This really helps to discuss with photographers who actually use the equipment instead of reading random reviews and the cameras technical specifications. The more I read about the 45AX, the more I like it. But I'm also really liking the Tachi as well. However, as Brian mentioned about if weight and price are a factor, that might rule the AX out. Yes, price and weight are a factor. I will be hiking with my equipment a lot. I will be backpacking some as well, especially when I'm up in Alaska. Now, I'm only 33 and still have a strong back from all my years of training while I was a competition rock climber...I'm too old to compete now, those young light kids are too good :) ...but saving weight is always a good thing especially on long hikes. As far as price goes, I would always like to save money when I can. My only wonder is if the Tachi would render the same "quality" of photos as the AX? Being that the AX is a more heavier and solid camera. Will the photos be sharp enough? If it's a little windy, will I have to wait for the wind to stop becaus the Tachi is a little too flimsy? Saving weight and money are always a good thing. However, if it's at the expense of "quality" photos then I'm fine with spending the extra money and having the extra weight. Also, by "quality photos", I mean photos that I can sell in my gallery. My photos are a source of income and I would like to continue that with my journey into LF.
The amount of money I would like to invest right now for a camera is $1600 or less. (emphasis on the less). So that is why these models are of such interest to me.
Darryl, I would also love to own and use a Linhof Technika. Right now, my budget just doesn't warrant that type of camera. Hopefully though, in the next few years it will :)
Thanks again for your info!

Mark Stahlke
17-Aug-2007, 09:32
My only wonder is if the Tachi would render the same "quality" of photos as the AXThe quality of photos with either of these cameras will only be limited by the quality of the photographer. I, for example, can make low quality photos with any camera. :o

Cheers,
Mark

Nick_3536
17-Aug-2007, 10:32
As far as price goes, I would always like to save money when I can.

Then consider any of the used cameras out there. Put your money into lenses and a good tripod. It's a lot harder to tell the difference between a photo taken with a $100 camera then you'd think.

The other point is if this is your first large format camera odds are you'll find what ever you buy to not fit you some how. You'll want something different. Lighter? Maybe something that goes wider? Longer? Different format? Who knows. But I bet if we took a poll few of us would say our first camera filled all our needs. It just takes some time to understand those needs.

ljb0904
17-Aug-2007, 10:48
Clint, buy and use the Tachi (or Osaka, it's the same camera). I love those cameras, they're light and very usable. I use a 75mm on a recessed board to be able to use some movements and I use the cable release to change the aperture when I need to. Longest lens I use is a 400T and it handles that well as well. If you need more extension, get yourself an extension board. If you break it, you can still afford another one. I find it to be much more rigid than the shen-hao (my opinion only).

The camera will not be the cause of bad pictures. If you're worried about wind, anchor your backpack to the bottom of the tripod, that will hold it steady.

All that said, a metal camera will feel more precise, but for just starting out, get the tachi and learn to use the camera (and save money for the costs of selling pictures).

good luck!

Ted Harris
17-Aug-2007, 11:15
Clint,

I own and use a Toyo AII (the same as the AX with a revolving back) almsot daily and have used a Tachihara. You are comparing apples to oranges. Theya re both 4x5 field cameras but the similarity ends there. Brian did an excellent job of spelling out the differences. The Toyo feels more precise and, IMO, is easier to operate while you are focusing, it also sets up faster than the Tachihara. I find the Toyo's controls a lot easier to use than those on the Tachi. bu tthat doesn't meant that those on the Tachi. area a PITA, they aren't. You can use a Toyo with lenses down to 75mm with a flat board (at least I do).

You will save weight and money with the Tachihara. If you are rough on your equipment (I am) then the Toyo may be the better answer because it will take lots of abuse. Both are about the same size and form factor when folded. Both will get the job done. Remember that there is no complex technology in any large format camera and as long as they are built 'square' any is capable of producing fine images; the photographer is much more important.

It really is a case of you get what you pay for interms of the strength of the materials, the quality of the finish, etc.

Brian Ellis
17-Aug-2007, 11:17
I don't think either camera is going to have a significant effect on the technical quality of your photographs (the lens is more important there) and none at all on their aesthetic qualities. The Toyo might provide a little more stability in wind but one of the main problems with wind is the bellows buffeting and camera weight has no effect on that. And you'll have to wait for wind to stop because of foliage moving around at least as often as you'll have to wait because your camera is too light. Also, to the extent wind is a problem there are ways around that other than by using a heavy camera (e.g. an umbrella). Since weight and price are clearly major considerations for you it seems to me the Tachihara is the better choice even though in the abstract the Toyo is probably a "better" camera.

Scott Davis
17-Aug-2007, 11:45
Another camera not mentioned yet is the Shen Hao. Terrific little camera, heavier (but more solid) than the Tachi, takes interchangeable bellows, has more movements than either of your mentioned options. Oh, and is cheaper than either as well. Remember that it isn't the camera that takes the picture, it's the photographer AND the lens. A camera is just a light-tight box you put your film inside. You can save money in a lot of areas - skimping on good glass should not be an option. If you don't already have a preconception of the kind of things you'd like to shoot, start off with a good modern 150 or 210 lens. Most lenses in these focal lengths that are still in production today will prove more than adequate to the task.

riooso
17-Aug-2007, 20:10
TOYO 45AX weighs 5.8 Pounds, by itself. It is a solid unit that has good movements for general work. I really like mine. I backpack with it but it is a trial for the soul sometimes.

Take Care,
Richard Adams

Clint Hill
17-Aug-2007, 22:39
Once again, you guys have been such a great help. I completely agree that it all comes down to the photographer. However, having the correct equipment for the right application sure can make it a little easier ;) I also agree that this first LF camera will not be my last. My first 35mm was one I learned with and found out what I did and didn't need. I then went and purchased one that fit my needs very well. I'm not a beginner to photography but I am a beginner to LF and so I'm really leaning towards the Tachi, learning with it and using the money that I'll save on some nice glass. Unless I find a screaming deal on a used 45AX or AII for well under $1k but I don't think that will happen. I'm sure there will be sacrifices that I'll have to make by using the Tachi that I wouldn't have to worry with if I had a "better" or more "solid" camera...but that's part of the whole personal inner discovery thing with photography, right?

Thanks again for all your advice and comments, they have been invaluable. I'm so excited to begin this journey of using large format!

kev curry
18-Aug-2007, 01:43
I found this link useful, it might be worth a look.
http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/tachihara.htm
From a trad climbing head!

kay tokugo
18-Aug-2007, 16:16
Hi Clint,

Everyone here has given you top notch answers, but I have a slightly different take on this.

If you are planning BACKPACKING trips buy the lightest camera possible. A savings of a few pounds may not sound like much to most people, but it is huge when you are in the backcountry by yourself. Both Tachihara and Toyo are excellent choices and I own both of them. To me they do the exact same things and I can make great negatives with either one. Both cameras (along with all other view cameras) are not great in windy conditions. The camera doesn’t shake so much, but the bellows do. I take the Tachi every time I go backpacking. I only take the Toyo dayhiking. Use your money saved on a carbon fiber tripod. Also buy Readyloads. Film holders are too heavy and bulky. Shaving weight is important.

I can carry 50 lbs of gear 20 miles a day in the mountains for a week to ten days. In that 50 pound bag I need to fill things that willl keep me safe and alive, like tent, sleeping bag, warm clothing, cooking gear, fuel, medicine, food and water. Those are all life preserving essentials. The camera gear is the last thing that goes into my pack and it holds the lowest priority. By shaving the weight of camera gear, you can fill the pack with more food (three days worth more than I need), possibly a warmer fleece, and more water.

When backpacking the most crucial thing is the availability of clean water and carrying a water purifying system is essential. Without clean water to drink and to cook with, I am not going to get very far. Two litres of water weigh roughly 4 pounds. By shaving weight off my camera gear I can easily carry 4 to 8 pounds of water, especially during a prolonged hot spell when waterfalls and streams dry up. That sounds like a lot of water, and many of you may think I am nuts, but you will be amazed at how much your body needs when you are carrying 50 extra pounds. I could literally drink a gallon of water a day and barely pee. You will never understand the preciousness of clean water until you are desperate for it. Also you'll come to realize how useless film holders are when you are desperate for food or drinking water.

Photo backpacking trip is great fun, but it can also be dangerous. Backpacking in Alaska is not quite the same as backpacking at Yosemite park. Depending on where you are help may not be readily available. Staying healthy is your top priority. When you have done everything right to get to your destination then you are allowed the luxury of making photos. After you have made all the necessary exposures during your layover, you will have to do everything right again to get yourself back out. Two pounds lighter in camera gear doesn't sound like much, but it gives you one extra litre of water to drink, which could one day turn out to be a lifesaver. To me, shaving weight is more of a safety/survival issue rather than a quality of camera issue. Given that both the Tachi and the Toyo do things equally well, choosing the Tachi is a no brainer. I hope you have the time of your life when you are in Alaska.

Clint Hill
18-Aug-2007, 20:55
I found this link useful, it might be worth a look.
http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/tachihara.htm
From a trad climbing head!

Thank you for that link. That was very helpful. Here's another question...
How is the screen brightness compared between the Tachi and Toyo A line? It appears that the Tachi fresnel screen is very clear and bright.

Btw...I'm a boulderer at heart but I've done my fair share of trad climbing and I must say...you trad guys are the real deal! Too tough for me :)

Clint Hill
18-Aug-2007, 21:03
Hi Clint,

Everyone here has given you top notch answers, but I have a slightly different take on this.

If you are planning BACKPACKING trips buy the lightest camera possible. A savings of a few pounds may not sound like much to most people, but it is huge when you are in the backcountry by yourself. Both Tachihara and Toyo are excellent choices and I own both of them. To me they do the exact same things and I can make great negatives with either one. Both cameras (along with all other view cameras) are not great in windy conditions. The camera doesn’t shake so much, but the bellows do. I take the Tachi every time I go backpacking. I only take the Toyo dayhiking. Use your money saved on a carbon fiber tripod. Also buy Readyloads. Film holders are too heavy and bulky. Shaving weight is important.

I can carry 50 lbs of gear 20 miles a day in the mountains for a week to ten days. In that 50 pound bag I need to fill things that willl keep me safe and alive, like tent, sleeping bag, warm clothing, cooking gear, fuel, medicine, food and water. Those are all life preserving essentials. The camera gear is the last thing that goes into my pack and it holds the lowest priority. By shaving the weight of camera gear, you can fill the pack with more food (three days worth more than I need), possibly a warmer fleece, and more water.

When backpacking the most crucial thing is the availability of clean water and carrying a water purifying system is essential. Without clean water to drink and to cook with, I am not going to get very far. Two litres of water weigh roughly 4 pounds. By shaving weight off my camera gear I can easily carry 4 to 8 pounds of water, especially during a prolonged hot spell when waterfalls and streams dry up. That sounds like a lot of water, and many of you may think I am nuts, but you will be amazed at how much your body needs when you are carrying 50 extra pounds. I could literally drink a gallon of water a day and barely pee. You will never understand the preciousness of clean water until you are desperate for it. Also you'll come to realize how useless film holders are when you are desperate for food or drinking water.

Photo backpacking trip is great fun, but it can also be dangerous. Backpacking in Alaska is not quite the same as backpacking at Yosemite park. Depending on where you are help may not be readily available. Staying healthy is your top priority. When you have done everything right to get to your destination then you are allowed the luxury of making photos. After you have made all the necessary exposures during your layover, you will have to do everything right again to get yourself back out. Two pounds lighter in camera gear doesn't sound like much, but it gives you one extra litre of water to drink, which could one day turn out to be a lifesaver. To me, shaving weight is more of a safety/survival issue rather than a quality of camera issue. Given that both the Tachi and the Toyo do things equally well, choosing the Tachi is a no brainer. I hope you have the time of your life when you are in Alaska.

Your right Kay. Everyone has been very helpful and given me top notch advise, including your backpacking tips. Thank you for that invaluable information. I can tell you are very knowledgeable and have lots of experience in backpacking.

kev curry
19-Aug-2007, 02:36
Clint I can only speak for the tachi and I can confirm that the fresnel is indeed very bright and clear. When I first set up my tach at home I was gob smacked. I thought it was like looking at a small upside down tv screen.....amazing!

Ps Dave McLeod -of E11 fame- will be attempting a live televised 1st accent of an E10 today up in the Cairngorms of Scotland ......if the rain stops. You could catch it on the BBC's web site sometime if you fancy a look.

kev curry
19-Aug-2007, 04:44
:Update

Ps Dave McLeod -of E11 fame- will be attempting a live televised 1st accent of an E10 today up in the Cairngorms of Scotland ......if the rain stops. You could catch it on the BBC's web site sometime if you fancy a look.[/QUOTE]

The BBC has just canceled due to bad weather. Shame no one told them about Scottish mountain weather!

Rob Landry
19-Aug-2007, 08:01
Clint,

I've been doing quite a bit of research into my next LF camera purchase and I've pretty much narrowed it down to the Tachi. I've shot 4x5 with a monorail for quite a few years and the weight and bulk are just too much if I want to venture far from the car (which I unfortunately haven't due to said weight & bulk.)

With my monorail weight firmly in mind, I decided I wanted something as light as reasonably possible. I looked at the Shen-Hao but for me it's too heavy for a wooden camera, and quite a bit bulkier. The Toyos are very nice, but again too heavy, plus I've always wanted a wooden camera. The Tachi seemed to fit the bill with respect to weight and has just the right movements I need and seems to come stock with a really nice GG screen.

I figure the Tachi will allow me to use a lighter CF tripod and my B1 instead of my metal Gitzo and the 3-way plus I should be able to walk short distances with the whole setup over my shoulder without the camera making things too top-heavy.

Now if I could find someone who has one in stock.

Clint Hill
19-Aug-2007, 23:35
[QUOTE=kev curry;266096
The BBC has just canceled due to bad weather. Shame no one told them about Scottish mountain weather![/QUOTE]

That's too bad. I would have enjoyed watching that. E10...now that's serious!

Btw...it rains in Scottland?? haha :)

Matus Kalisky
20-Aug-2007, 10:17
Hi Clint,

I started with LF cca a year ago and based on what I could afford to buy and carry on my back - I ended up with a Tachihara 4x5. It is very easy to use and has all features one needs for a landscape photography. The back movements (tilt and swing) are really nice. But if you have in mind a macro work at around 1:1 reproduction ratio - look for a camera with rear standard focusing.

You mentioned that you want to make 1) landscape photography and 2) would like to fit in $1600.

1) If you want to go (reasonably) light than light camera and tripod are the main weight savers/killers. Tachihara is one of the lightest. For a light tripod yuo need to go with carbon - there is either Gitzo (good and very expensive) but I would have a look at Feisol (http://www.feisol.com/english/feisolen.htm). I have Benro but would go for Feisol nowadays. Without stable tripod the rest makes limited sense. Tachihara is stable enough.

For the lenses - here saving weight too much might be inconvenient. Recent 135/5.6 or 150/5.6 from Nikkor, Fujinon, Schneider or Rodenstock are all very good and are reasonably light and can be had for $200 - $300 in very good condition in modern Copal shutters. Focal lengths 210 and above are getting heavier - I have Caltar 210 II-E (= Rodenstock Geronar - triplet - cheap and light ~ 250g) but there are also other options from nikkor (200 M), Fujinon ( 180 A) or Schneider (Claron: 180, 210, 240) - clarons being the cheaper ones. With the film holders - well 5 of them weight 1kg and the only way to save weight is to go with Quickloads/Readyloads what is more expensive.

From all the small gadgets I would mention the loupe - search the forum on this topic. I got recently cheap and sharp (and bit bulky) Horizon (http://www.zenit-photo.com/photocameras/horizon_4x_panoramic_magnifier.htm) lupe, but you may prefere dedicated focuing loupe like Toyo 3.6x or so.
As a darkcloth I am still using a black T-shirt.
Filters depend on what you need and also what kind of film color/BW you will shoot. Do not hurry with them - good ones (Heliopan, B&W etc) cost a bit.

2) $1600 is plenty but choose each component carefully. Do not worry to buy used, camera, lenses, film holders. Your price level is high enough to get a decent tripod - have a look at Feisol - users seem to be happy with them. For the head - some 3 way pan tilt from Manfrotto or used LInhof 3-D (I have one - super stable and 0.8kg though sell for ~$200). For lenses Caltar branded "II-N" models are the recent Rodenstock "N" models, or have a look at Fujinons - they are sleepers.
... and keep some money for the FILM and processing :)

------

Concerning the subject - you will be probably looking for a one or more lenses in the range of 90 - 300mm. It might be wise to start with one lens only. The focal length depends on your preferences and type of the landscape, but sometimes less is more - lens of 150 - 210 allows to separate subject more easily. Also focusing will be easier than with a wide angle.

Good luck and sorry for a long answer

Clint Hill
20-Aug-2007, 21:20
^ ^ Thanks for all the great info Matus. It's nice to know I have many options for quality equipment that is so reasonably priced.

richard brown
22-Aug-2007, 11:48
welcome to the large format world! i have used a toyo 45A for 20+ years and love it...mainly because of the solid nature of a metal camera PLUS the universal back. I enjoy using a 6x12 roll film back for panoramic shots and the tachihara doesn't have that. One of my best friends and fellow equipment junkies has a tachi and its really great. just not as solid as a metal. i have an ebony rw45 as well which is beautiful but pricey. i have heard good things of the shen hao but the only one i saw/and returned was sloppy, poorly built, off specs (too much lacquer so film holder would not slide in) and generally very poorly made. others got gems....
so despite the extra 3 lbs? or so, i would suggest a used toyo 45...you don't need the rotating back which adds weight and it will handle my 65mm lens easily....the ebony wont without major manoevres...
and it takes roll film backs.....
all the best, richard

genecrumpler
25-Aug-2007, 18:01
If weight is a big issue, as it is with me, I'd consider the Toyo 45CF. I orginally got it as a starter camera, but now really like it and I'm no longer in love with Ebonys.
The lowest priced Ebony is about the same weight. The price of the CF45 has been rising(some one must like it) both at retail and on E-bay. Has any one noticed that the new Boeing Airliner is mostly carbon fiber construction (so much for the light and flimsy arguement)

One feature of the 45CF is that the bellows draw is longer than the metal toyo field cameras. I'm very fortunate to own a 300mm f9.0 Nikkor M and I can focus down to about 6 feet with the 45CF. The lack of back swings and tilts has not been a big deal. If you understand LF movements, front and back tilt are easy. Swings are a bit harder, but can be done. I've noticed something about view cameras, the front and the back work pretty much the same way!!! Most landscapes don't require much in the way of back movements The back that I worry about most is mine!!!

Clint Hill
25-Aug-2007, 19:02
Thank you Richard and also thank you genecrumpler. The 45A and the 45CF are definately a couple models that I am considering. I am so impressed and thankful for all the helpful responses to my camera inquiry. I know how "newbies" on other forums get teased, ridiculed and not taken seriously. Everyone on this forum so far has been very helpul and understanding...you all are awesome! I also took a recomendation and recently spoke with Jim at Midwest photo Exchange. Wow, what a nice guy. Very knowledgeable and helpful. If anyone has any questions on photo gear, I highly recomend him.
I'll be ready to purchase my gear in a few short weeks. I'll definately keep everyone posted!

Thanks again!! :)

Gary Tarbert
28-Aug-2007, 04:58
I have owned a tachi and i don't think you would go wrong with this camera excellent lightweight option .cheers Gary

Joseph O'Neil
28-Aug-2007, 05:24
Clint,

I've been doing quite a bit of research into my next LF camera purchase and I've pretty much narrowed it down to the Tachi. I've shot 4x5 with a monorail for quite a few years and the weight and bulk are just too much if I want to venture far from the car (which I unfortunately haven't due to said weight & bulk.)

Now if I could find someone who has one in stock.

-snip-

I am came this close to buying a Toyo, lovely cameras, but the Tachi won out. Light weight for backpacking, and that bright screen won me over, especially if you are using F9 lenses like my g-Claron or rd-Artar.

Couple of other thoughts - do NOT sell or get rid of your monorail. I still use mine occasionally when I really need a wide range of movements. 95% of the time i use my Tachi, but when I need my monorail, am I ever glad I have it.

secondly - cameras in stock. I bought mine form Badger, but at the time, all the "regular" Tachiharas were out of stock- the only one or ones left were the BF models - the ones made of ebony and chrome hardware, all for an extra $100. The only thing you get for that extra money is purely cosmetic, but I went for it, and I am happy I did - the camera looks different enough from others that I like it. Something to consider.

good luck
joe

ljb0904
28-Aug-2007, 10:29
The Osaka is the same camera as a Tachihara. You can get them from lens/repro and from Bromwell marketing. I just ordered one yestereday to replace the one I accidentally sent to a sudden death by dropping off a cliff.

Joseph O'Neil
28-Aug-2007, 10:57
The Osaka is the same camera as a Tachihara. You can get them from lens/repro and from Bromwell marketing. I just ordered one yestereday to replace the one I accidentally sent to a sudden death by dropping off a cliff.

Ouch! Been there, done that, except in my case I went down the cliff with my camera, and it was a Crown Graphic, not a Tachi. Strangely enough, the Crown survived unscathed, but I needed a few bandages and iodine.

I suppose however this might be a good argument for a Toyo CF over a Tachi. :)

joe

Jon Shiu
28-Aug-2007, 16:00
Hi, just to add, I have a Tachihara and if you need rear standard focusing for macro work, the rear standard can slide forward about one inch for focusing (or for using wide angle lenses).

Jon

Clint Hill
31-Aug-2007, 00:17
Ouch! Been there, done that, except in my case I went down the cliff with my camera, and it was a Crown Graphic, not a Tachi. Strangely enough, the Crown survived unscathed, but I needed a few bandages and iodine.

I suppose however this might be a good argument for a Toyo CF over a Tachi. :)

joe

Wow...that brings new meaning to extreme photography! :)
Yes, durability will play a role in my camera purchase.

Although I have read statements from photographers who accidentally dropped their Tachihara's and the cameras still worked just fine. I wonder if that has to do with superior construction of the Tachi or just luck?