PDA

View Full Version : 5x7 Angst: What to do?

alec4444
16-Aug-2007, 20:06
I've been planning on buying a 5x7 for some time now. After this last LF outing in Central Park it struck me that I need something a bit more....say...mobile than the Wisner 11x14 Tech Field. Not willing to part with that format, but rather I want something to supplement it.

At the Central Park outing, I got to have a look at Scott's 5x7 Wood Canham. Gorgeous camera, and super light. Great extension - a winner. So I dumped one of my Rollei SLR lenses in the hope of buying something similar. The lens sold, and now I have a budget of ~$1800 for my 5x7. Mind you, this needs to cover the camera, film holders, a dark cloth that is an appropriate size, and preferably a tripod that doesn't way 25 lbs.

Found a metal Canham (even lighter) for $1700, but that doesn't leave a whole lot for film holders...and I'd be carrying that lovely camera around on a Ries A100 Tripod with the A250 head. That's pretty lame. Found a Wisner Tech Field for about $1350. That's got the 4x5 reducing back and the WA bellows, and leaves some for the accessories. The other advantage is that the lens boards are identical, as are the controls. But it's the heaviest 5x7 field camera on the market at 10lbs. Another option is to go for an older 5x7 like a B&J or a Seneca or something...which would leave plenty of $$$ behind for accessories, but typically a bit "floppier" and more fussy than their modern counterparts.

Lets talk about use:
I shoot architecture (I like rise) and landscapes. I want to be able to throw this thing in a backpack and wander around. I want to be able to take it on trips overseas. Since I have an 11x14, I have longer lenses I'd like to use. A 4x5 reduction back is a nice option. I've been carrying the 11x14 around for a year or so, so I've got decent willpower and tolerance for carrying more.

I'm leaning toward the Wisner because it's the beast I know and the convenience of shooting the same camera is pretty nice. The 4.6 pound difference is significant, but it's meaningless if I'm carrying a 25lb. tripod because I bought the lighter camera and couldn't afford a new tripod. But I'm always interested in others' advice.....so what might you advise?

Thanks!
--A

PS: But if I get one of the older 5x7s, I might be able to also snag that 7x17 Folmer on eBay..... <<WHACK>> No, no, I'm focused now. Need 5x7... :)

timbo10ca
16-Aug-2007, 20:16
I backpack and cycle alot. I have a Shen Hao HZX57-IIAT. I love it. Super sturdy, good price and lots of movements.

http://www.shen-hao.com/E57512.html (scroll down for the HZX- the FCL57-A is a new design about which I know little, but somebody on this forum got one recently, IIRC. I think it's based on a Phillips design)

Tim

BradS
16-Aug-2007, 20:24
PS: But if I get one of the older 5x7s, I might be able to also snag that 7x17 Folmer on eBay..... <<WHACK>> No, no, I'm focused now. Need 5x7...

I'm just sitting here chuckling at that last remark....:)

Anyway, I'm sure you'll be happy with either. Their both fine cameras. I got a Canham for a nice price but, if I were in your shoes, I'd probably be looking more toward the Wisner.

The Canham has no rear rise/fall but, it does have rear shift. i don't know much about the Wisners but, one of them does have rear rise - so, if that's important...maybe it makes the decision a little easier?

Best of Luck.

audioexcels
16-Aug-2007, 20:37
It's not a Canham/Ebony, but my vote is for the 5X7 Nagaoka though they are about the rarest camera to find.

CantikFotos
16-Aug-2007, 20:57
I'm impatiently waiting for the Fotoman 57PS.

Vaughn
16-Aug-2007, 21:13
Just me thinking here...

I'd suggest buying the camera that you felt would the easiest, most pleasureful to use in the applications you wanted it to work in. It is the main piece of equipment...then as time passes by, you could fine-tune your accessories as my budget allows.

I'd use my big Reis when I did not have to worry about traveling far...and pick up a Bogen 3021, or a little bigger pod, off of ebay for traveling (many of them on there <$100). A 3021 will support a light 5x7...not optimal perhaps...sort of depends on how tall you are. It would be a little short for me (I'm 6'3").

Don't want you slapping yourself on the forehead and saying, "I coulda had a Canham!"

Vaughn

John Kasaian
17-Aug-2007, 00:02
If its a light wieght 5x7 you want, look for a Nagaoka (wood) or Gowland (monorail)

Remigius
17-Aug-2007, 01:53
If on a tight budget, I'd go for the Shen-Hao (I own a FCL57-A, with reducing back, bag bellows etc.). If budget is of no concern, I'd take an Ebony of course. There's a couple of threads on the FCL75-A:

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?t=19657 (with images)
http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?t=24453

As far as I can tell, I'd prefer a 4x5 folding view camera to a 5x7 on longer trips. I have recently taken the Shen on a trip to Scotland, and fiddling around with film holders every day as well as carrying the whole gear was a bit of a pain (though you might find it more convenient than an 11x14, I admit). Next time I'll take a bunch of ready-loads and a single holder, which should dramatically reduce the amount of gear (I was carrying 10 film holders each in 4x5 and 5x7).

Nick_3536
17-Aug-2007, 03:28
The Shen HZX57-IIAT I have is Ebony like in design.

The new FCL [I have the 8x10 version] is different. The back is supposedly Phillips style? My 8x10 goes VERY wide with the bag bellows. If you order from Badger you can get the FCL and the 4x5 reducing back for less then your budget ignoring shipping. New holders are an issue at the moment

What kind of lens boards do you need? The Shens natively use Sinar/Horsemen 140x140 boards but come with an adapter for Linhof 96mmx98mm boards.

evan clarke
17-Aug-2007, 03:44
Consider the Tachihara 5x7 single extension, it's lightweight, rigid and well made. Talk to Jim Andracki at Midwest Photo..Evan Clarke

Andrew_4548
17-Aug-2007, 04:13
Something I've just read on our UK LF forum - how available is the film?

One of our members rang B&H to be told that colour neg in 5x7 is minimum order 60 boxes at over $11k per "order" and did he want them to go ahead? :eek:

Apparently B&W and colour tranny is "relatively" common over here (read "not quite as dead as a dodo but..." ;) )

Is there anywhere else he can try Stateside?

Ted Harris
17-Aug-2007, 05:19
You can buy 5x7 transparency filmm from Badger or you can oprder it direct from megaperls in Japan or, in metric size (but you need the holders) from nordfoto.de and others.

sanking
17-Aug-2007, 07:50
[QUOTE=alec4444;265532]

Lets talk about use:
I shoot architecture (I like rise) and landscapes. I want to be able to throw this thing in a backpack and wander around. I want to be able to take it on trips overseas. Since I have an 11x14, I have longer lenses I'd like to use. A 4x5 reduction back is a nice option. I've been carrying the 11x14 around for a year or so, so I've got decent willpower and tolerance for carrying more.

Thanks!
--A

If backpacking and wandering around overseas is what you want to do the perfect camera for you would be a 5X7 Nagaoka or Ikeda. Much lighter and more compact than anything else you could find. These cameras are not sold new any longer in the US, though I believe they may still be produced in Japan. Some people claim these cameras are a bit fragile, and for sure you would not want to drop it on concrete, but it sets up as rigidly as any other camera and is a real pleasure to work with.

My Nagaoka 5X7 has swings and tilts on the front and rear, and rise on the front. Bellows draw limits you to normal lenses of no longer than about 305mm focal length.

Sandy King

Chauncey Walden
17-Aug-2007, 08:32
After having some time with it now and just having used it for a couple of weeks in the mountains, I would have to throw the Rittreck into the ring. It is an all metal field camera that was made by the company that became Wista. A little heavy perhaps, but very sturdy, adjustable and adaptable. A native 5x7 camera (my favorite format for many years), it also has a sliding 6x9 rollfilm back, a 4x5 back, and a 6.5x8.5 whole plate back. The 6.5x8.5 back is surprisingly light and compact due to partial wood construction and, on the camera, fits nicely in my LowePro Trekker Classic with 7 lenses and accessories. I know where there is an 8x10 back available for it but it isn't on my list. The bellows draw is something like 365mm and a 90mm lens is no problem. And, get this, the leather inset panels, while an odd turquoise color, appear to be sharkskin! The 5x7 back has a bail and came with a folding metal cover and leather hood. Bulletproof in a pack. A guy from Japan has been listing the camera and various backs on eBay with a buy-it-now as low as $199!

Ken Lee
17-Aug-2007, 09:09
".....so what might you advise?"

Would you be interested in a nice vintage Kodak 2A that has been restored recently by Richard Ritter ? (New bellows, etc.) It's got front and rear rails, and has a Technika board adapter, also made by Richard.

It has a full range of movements, is lightweight, etc. I'm considering selling it, because I have a 5x7 back for my Sinar now. It's a shooter's camera.

I can't post any close-up photos of the camera until Monday, but I can dig up some photos of the camera sitting on the tripod, etc. Let me know if you are interested.

alec4444
18-Aug-2007, 08:23
Thanks, Ken, and actually everyone that responded. I ended up with the Wisner. The lensboard and control set had a lot to do with it. I'm planning on building a front standard attachment for a packard shutter, and this was the "clincher" when I realized it would also fit on the 5x7 Tech Field.

Should be here next Tuesday, we'll see how it looks.

Cheers!
--A