PDA

View Full Version : new paltz-kingston get together

eddie
16-Aug-2007, 04:27
hello everyone,
i have been scanning the area for good locations not too far from the car (for alec) which have some good light, and a few interesting shots close to each other. i am thinking High Falls would be an excellent starting point. there is some old stone buildings, a lock system,a river, water falls and some interesting nature....all with in a 6-7 min walk. after that i have no plan. i iwll keep my eyes open. i was thinking maybe up on minnewaska. i think it is free to enter....mohank is nice but they have a pretty steep entrance fee (well, steep in my book. i forget everything is cheep for you city dwellers). new paltz will have some good ridge shots if the foliage is cooperating. several miles N in greene county offers some awesome landscapes. (and is close to hudson)

the only weekend that is bad for me is sept 28 weekend. i have a wedding to shoot.

keep me posted and remember my gallery show near hudson NY will be sept1-27, 2007!

eddie

Paul Hamann
16-Aug-2007, 05:36
Eddie,

Where is your show? How near to Hudson? Keep me posted about the meet, I'd like to try and be there.

Paul

Michael Graves
16-Aug-2007, 05:38
Any idea how far that is from Vermont? I might like to meet up with some of you guys.

Paul Hamann
16-Aug-2007, 05:41
Hudson is about 70 miles from Bennington. Kingston's about 25 miles south of Hudson.

Michael Graves
16-Aug-2007, 05:43
Sounds like a great weekend trip. I'll try to behave if you'll let me come.

Scott Davis
16-Aug-2007, 06:17
I'll talk to the guys down here and see if they want to do another fall road-trip. Might be a bit less harrowing on the return trip since we can bypass the city and come up 83.

eddie
16-Aug-2007, 10:29
Sounds like a great weekend trip. I'll try to behave if you'll let me come.

if you behave you can not come! har har har!

my show is at the columbia greene county com. college in the blue hill gallery. i will have about 50 pieces. all film. many hand made B&W prints, and the rest wet process color prints. i got a pano of bryce canyon that is 82" long! come have a look. sept 1-27, 2007. opening sept 6 at 7pm

eddie

davidb
16-Aug-2007, 12:16
I grew up just south of New Paltz and it is a beautiful place. Wish I could make it.

Don Ciccone
21-Aug-2007, 19:02
Not sure if I missed this but has a date been set for the Kingston trip? Will anyone else be driving up from NYC?

Don

eddie
22-Aug-2007, 18:51
Not sure if I missed this but has a date been set for the Kingston trip? Will anyone else be driving up from NYC?

Don

nope. no date yet. what is best for you? we need some one to make the first suggestion. alec and art are talking about driving up. the bus goes right past my house. it would be the 3rd stop out of NYC! not bad eh?

eddie

Alex Wei
22-Aug-2007, 19:03
Eddie, sounds good, I will try my best to be there. If I go, I will be driving from NYC.

So, please keep an eye on the leafs, Eddie :)

alec4444
22-Aug-2007, 20:41
i have been scanning the area for good locations not too far from the car (for alec) which have some good light, and a few interesting shots close to each other.

Much appreciated, Eddie, I'm still in for this one. And it looks like I may not have a 5x7 by then.

the only weekend that is bad for me is sept 28 weekend. i have a wedding to shoot.

LOL....they wouldn't be thrilled if we all showed up to shoot it? :D

Michael, would be great to meet you in person!

--A

Michael Graves
23-Aug-2007, 03:27
I have to go to Pennsylvania on Labor Day weekend. Kills that one for me. Still wanna go, though. Might even be able to talk my wife into it. She's got her miniature camera (a 4x5 Speed Graphic).

eddie
23-Aug-2007, 04:26
so it looks like the 1 and the 29th weekends are bad. so we have the 8,15 and 22 to choose from.

anyone? anyone? beuller?

do not let me stop you guys on the 29th. if anything the leaves will be better then or into oct. i just can not show on that weekend. i would be happy to give suggestions if you all wanted to hit it then. the wedding is on sat. so i figured sun would be hang over day! Oct is a possibility also. i do not know why sept was originally suggested. i leave fro Idaho and the nearby NP on oct 16 till nov 2. keep that in mind.

eddie

alec4444
23-Aug-2007, 05:03
so we have the 8,15 and 22 to choose from.

As near as I can tell, they all work for me....

--A

Michael Graves
23-Aug-2007, 07:34
As near as I can tell, they all work for me....

--A

At this point in time, take your pick. The are all open on my calendar so far.

Peter Lewin
23-Aug-2007, 08:08
Don't know if it impacts anyone else, but Saturday Sept 22 is Yom Kippur (major Jewish holiday) which would knock that one out for me. On the other hand, if we come up with a date I can make, I'd be happy to take any of the NJ residents who could make it to the Morristown area (i.e. if I drive up, there is room in my car for more).

Pete Roody
23-Aug-2007, 09:29
so it looks like the 1 and the 29th weekends are bad. so we have the 8,15 and 22 to choose from.

anyone? anyone? beuller?

eddie

I can make it any of those weekends. I also have a car and can take a few people from nyc.

Pete

gene LaFord
25-Aug-2007, 18:31
Since my daughter just graduated from SUNY New Paltz this spring and has moved back home, I don't get out that way at all any more. It is a beautiful area. So have a great outing... I am a little jealous.

gene

Flexnib
26-Aug-2007, 22:28
Hello All,
Hi this is Arthur. I would love to go the weekend of the 15th. Anyone else? Some people have said that they could drive? If there is more that 2 or 3 people coming from the NYC area we could all chip in and rent a larger car. Let me know if this works for anyone else.

Arthur, NYC

eddie
27-Aug-2007, 04:47
Hello All,
Hi this is Arthur. I would love to go the weekend of the 15th. Anyone else? Some people have said that they could drive? If there is more that 2 or 3 people coming from the NYC area we could all chip in and rent a larger car. Let me know if this works for anyone else.

Arthur, NYC

okay art! we have a decision maker! the 15th works for me.

e

Michael Graves
27-Aug-2007, 04:52
Weekend of the 15th is marked off on my calendar. The only thing I'll let keep me away is an emergency at work. Even then it will have to be a HUGE emergency.

Flexnib
27-Aug-2007, 08:53
Hello All,
I have gone ahead and rented a mini-van for the day from Alamo. It says that it holds 7 but I think 6 would be the max. Please let me know if you need a ride that day. Also if anyone else going that day already has a car or 2 depending on replies let me know and I will cancel the rental and tag along with you, if you will have me. So if you need a ride speak up and if you are willing to drive that day do the same otherwise it's the mini-van.

Arthur, NYC

alec4444
27-Aug-2007, 09:18
Hey Arthur,

I think I'd like to chip in on the van - sounds like a good plan. To mitigate any problems, you should probably tentatively set a departure time from NYC and another from wherever we are back to the city. That way there won't be any 'misunderstandings' if a passenger decides they want to bail early....or stay super late.

Do I have to reserve / pay for an extra spot for the 11x14? :D

--A

Alex Wei
27-Aug-2007, 10:42
Guys, I am good to go on 15th and I will be driving, so we can carpool and save the car rental fee for more beer :D :D

I can take three more people with me or 4 if you guys can squeeze in.

Regards to Alec's 11X14, if you let me keep one contact print of yours, it gets the ride for free:)

Pete Roody
27-Aug-2007, 11:04
Guys, I am good to go on 15th and I will be driving, so we can carpool and save the car rental fee for more beer :D :D

I can take three more people with me or 4 if you guys can squeeze in.

Regards to Alec's 11X14, if you let me keep one contact print of yours, it gets the ride for free:)

Guys,

I also can go and will be driving from nyc. I have a SUV so I have room for 3 additional.

Pete

MenacingTourist
27-Aug-2007, 11:35
This is a day trip right?
I'd love to drive up with whoever has room in a car. I'm in New Jersey but can take the train and/or subway to wherever I can get picked up.

Alan.

Alex Wei
27-Aug-2007, 12:12
Sounds like we have enough people and enough cars to go there. Just want to make sure it's a day trip, right?

eddie
27-Aug-2007, 12:25
Sounds like we have enough people and enough cars to go there. Just want to make sure it's a day trip, right?

i do not know about the rest of you , but i am staying overnight!;)

eddie

ps. if anyone cares the bus runs to NYC, right past the house, about every hour and there is only 1 or 2 stops (depending on where you catch it), takes about 1.5 hours.

Flexnib
27-Aug-2007, 12:41
Hi all,
It looks like the rental car is not needed, great. To Pete or Alex Wei I would love a ride with whomever has a free space. I was hoping for an early start to the day maybe between 7-8am or earlier if you want. As far as a return I am comfortable with any time.
Please let me know who has the room for me.
Thanks

Arthur, NYC

Peter Lewin
27-Aug-2007, 13:28
15th sounds good! (I just developed and started printing from the 50 sheets of 4x5 I shot on vacation, this will make sure that I never quite get caught up...) Anyway, I will be driving up from Florham Park NJ (5 minutes from the Chatham or Madison train stations) and can fit 3 more in my Subaru. If "Menacing Alex" or anyone else wants to PM me, we can work out plans for the day. Incidentally, it would be great to have a meeting place and time :) to finalize plans. My guess is that it is about 2 hrs drive from NYC or North Jersey.

eddie
27-Aug-2007, 17:05
hi all,
i was thinking about hitting high falls first. should be some good morning light. there is water falls, old shipping locks, stone buildings and a river. everything is close to the car so we wont kill alec! i am up for any suggestions. nothing is written in stone. new paltz also has some good views of the ridge and stuff, but i find it to be a bit over done and boring....BUT it is up to you all.
if you want to shoot high falls first we could meet in rosendale. there is a GREAT little greasy spoon i have been eating at for years if you come hungry! itr is 32 Lunch. it is on route 32 in rosendale NY. get off the thruway at New Paltz. take left at light, drive though town till you hit route 32 North and proceed about 8 miles to rosendale. the diner will be on your left....you can't miss it.

eddie

Flexnib
27-Aug-2007, 19:41
Eddie, Sounds great to me. Could we get a list of who can drive and who needs a ride?
Drivers:
Peter R
Peter L
Alex W.
Passengers:
Arthur, Manhattan

alec4444
27-Aug-2007, 20:05
Passengers:
Arthur, Manhattan
Alec, Brooklyn

I can go to Manhattan if need be.

Alex Wei
27-Aug-2007, 20:56
Alec and Arthur, I can pick you guys up and meet with Peter R and drive up north in one car. So, can you guys PM me your location for pick up?

I think Alan can ride with Peter L. We will leave early and meet at the dinner.

Let me know if you guys have better plans.

Michael Graves
28-Aug-2007, 05:09
What time? And do they have biscuits and gravy? And can somebody give me an address to put into Mapquest. It's a long drive for me, so I'm driving out the night before and holing up in the nearest fleabag motel.

alec4444
28-Aug-2007, 08:46
It's a long drive for me, so I'm driving out the night before and holing up in the nearest fleabag motel.

You won't be staying at the Four Seasons - Kingston resort?

As an aside, there's a good chance I'll have a 5x7 in hand for 9/15 - so I may be a bit more mobile than before. I'll still bring along the 11x14 for thrills though. Fingers crossed!

--A

eddie
28-Aug-2007, 09:04
What time? And do they have biscuits and gravy? And can somebody give me an address to put into Mapquest. It's a long drive for me, so I'm driving out the night before and holing up in the nearest fleabag motel.

i will check on the biscuits and gravy. the got some great stuff.....
if you put rosendale NY in map quest that should get you very very close. it is a VERY small town. i am send you a PM.

eddie

eddie
28-Aug-2007, 09:11
yes alec, bring the 11x14. i would love to shoot it! four seasons?!?!?!? if you guys need some suggestions for cheap motels pm me. there is camping in rosendale if you all are interested.
eddie

Peter Lewin
28-Aug-2007, 14:00
Eddie: Thanks for your work. I plugged Rosendale into MapQuest, its a 1:45 drive from North Jersey. What we need now is an agreed time to meet at the diner, and a secondary meeting point if we're late to the diner. At the first NY LF shoot I was late, but Alec's cellphone saved the day, so if someone who knows they will be on time can give us a cellphone number as a last fallback, that would be great. And I'll throw in a quick apology to Menacing Tourist, whose name I changed from Alan to Alex by not reading an earlier post carefully - as I mentioned, I'd be happy to have company driving up from Florham Park, NJ.

eddie
28-Aug-2007, 14:52
i am sure we can get the mobile phone people to hand out their numbers. i for one do not have one:):) i can also leave a not eat the 32 lunch diner. he is a good frined so it will be no problem. high falls is only 4 miles from rosendale.

eddie

MenacingTourist
29-Aug-2007, 08:00
I'm looking at options for rides. To meet up with Peter I'm looking at over 3hrs from Princeton Junction (transfer at Seacaucus), so now I'm wondering if it would be better to meet one of the NYC drivers since it's 1hr to the city and no transfer.

I'm open to suggestions.

Alan.

Alex Wei
29-Aug-2007, 12:16
Alan, I didn't know you are that far from Peter L. In this case, either Peter R. or I can pick you up from train station. The pick up time will be early, around 6am.

I am sending my phone # to everybody via PM now.

MenacingTourist
30-Aug-2007, 13:25
The earliest train I can take puts me in NYPenn at 6:38am. Does this work? I hate to be the weak link :(

Pete Roody
30-Aug-2007, 15:13
The earliest train I can take puts me in NYPenn at 6:38am. Does this work? I hate to be the weak link :(

I would think leaving from Penn Station before 7:00 am would be fine.

MenacingTourist
30-Aug-2007, 16:01
Thanks for understanding.

Alex Wei
30-Aug-2007, 23:12
Looks like everybody got a ride so far. :)

alec4444
4-Sep-2007, 19:33
About two weeks away - should we advertise this outing to a larger group (Apug, Photo.net, f295, etc) or are we happy with this group?

ALSO: 5x7 should be on it's way tomorrow! Woohoo! Yep, I bought another one from Midwest and I'm very excited. Will be coming with a new carbon fiber tripod and a very cool 4x5 reducing back with Graflok capabilities. More on this later in another thread.

Cheers!
--A

eddie
5-Sep-2007, 04:11
it is on f295 already.

teh lave are just starting to change. with some luck we will have a bunch to shoot. i was way up in the catskills and down to NYC this weekend and i think the most color is right at mile 50.1 on the west side of the thruway!

oh! we might as well shoot the covered bridge that is very close to where we are starting.

eddie

arthur berger
5-Sep-2007, 15:01
Can I get an invitation to the party? I will probably be in the area the day before photographing with my 8x 10 DD and would like to meet other crazy LFers. I will be coming from the Jersey shore (asbury area)

eddie
5-Sep-2007, 18:11
Can I get an invitation to the party? I will probably be in the area the day before photographing with my 8x 10 DD and would like to meet other crazy LFers. I will be coming from the Jersey shore (asbury area)

yes! please come. PM me. i live here. i can give you beta if you need.

eddie

eddie
6-Sep-2007, 04:15
hey everyone.

anyone got a hose and bulb for a packard shutter i could borrow for the the day? i also need empty 5x7 boxes. thanks

eddie

MenacingTourist
6-Sep-2007, 09:04
I have a bulb but no hose. Not sure about fittings either. I'll check how I made my other-other Packard set up when I get home tonight.

Is it going on your 2D? If so I'll be bringing mine and have two packard set ups. One is with a 5x8 rapid rectilinear (with waterhouse stops) that I think covers 8x10 and the other is with a B&L projector petzval lens that just might cover 8x10. I also have two other lenses in regular shutters on 2D lensboards.

I guess I should ask if your 2D is an 8x10...

eddie
6-Sep-2007, 20:59
2D and 8x10 bring everything you got! :):)

thanks
eddie

MenacingTourist
7-Sep-2007, 07:44
Will do!

Michael Graves
7-Sep-2007, 08:04
I'm coming with a Toyo 5x7M and as many film holders as I can get together. I just received two boxes of fresh Ilford HP5 that I got for $33.00 each. My lovely wife is bringing her Speed Graphic and as many film holders as we can pack. You better have LOADS of stuff for us to shoot.

Flexnib
7-Sep-2007, 08:59
Eddie,
I might be able to help with the bulb and hose. I gerry rigged one that may work for you. I will bring it. See you all next weekend.
Arthur, NYC

eddie
7-Sep-2007, 16:48
You better have LOADS of stuff for us to shoot.

we got loads of stuff! you got enough film? i have a changing bag so do not worry. bring and extra box or two and yoiu can reload the film.

we can start in high falls. plenty to shoot here and good morning light. then hit the covered bridge if you like. kingston has a train museum, docks, water front,bridges, and a light house all close by each other. not much rain so the local water falls are not running so well(high falls is running do not worry). the hudson river and a long bridge(rhinbeck) if you like is just up the road. the ashokan reservoir is a 10 min drive from The river. plenty of barns and farms of various fruits and veggies strewn in between. if you can not get your fill and shoot all you r film i can take you to some of the secret good light spots but you will have to be blind folded!

all the places i just mentioned are 10-12 minutes from kingston NY. just let me know what you all are interested in shooting and we can do it. new paltz is also available. the minnewaska state park is very good for rock and small pines with cliff and streams. they charge like $6/ car so it is not too bad. the mohonk perserve is per person and has stuff to offer as well, but he crowds at these places should really suck (all NYC people coming up....eeerrr?) i mean they are really really busy and you need to walk (more walking at mohonk) but if you feel you have enough film and daylight we can hit lots and lots of stuff. again these last two places are made for week days!

oh! i almost forgot rosendale has a great old train tressel we can shot and shoot from! the more i think about the more film i think you will need to buy!

eddie

alec4444
7-Sep-2007, 21:14
i have a changing bag so do not worry. bring and extra box or two and yoiu can reload the film.

Eddie - is that changing bag big enough for 5x7? If anyone has a changing tent it would be nice to have two options, and the tent's a bit easier.

I'll be bringing the big ass camera and my new 5x7. Woohoo! I only have six holders (well, 5 1/2 really) for 5x7 so I'm really banking on the changing bag solution!

Cheers!
--A

Pete Roody
8-Sep-2007, 07:48
Eddie - is that changing bag big enough for 5x7? If anyone has a changing tent it would be nice to have two options, and the tent's a bit easier.

I'll be bringing the big ass camera and my new 5x7. Woohoo! I only have six holders (well, 5 1/2 really) for 5x7 so I'm really banking on the changing bag solution!

Cheers!
--A

Alec,

I will bring my Harrison changing tent. It is good for 8x10 and smaller holders.

Pete

eddie
9-Sep-2007, 04:54
my bag and tent is big enough for 8x10. the bag is a bit tight but works.

Don Ciccone
10-Sep-2007, 18:48
I would like to attend but can't get up to Kingston until about noon or maybe just before. Eddie, can you suggest a secondary meeting location? I seem to recall a part of town, near the train museum, with restaurants, shops, etc that might be convenient. Can anyone estimate driving time from upper east side of Manhattan?

Don

Peter Lewin
11-Sep-2007, 07:22
While we have a meeting place, the "32 Lunch" on Rte. 32 in Rosendale, we have never agreed on a time. According to MapQuest, my drive from northern NJ should be 1 3/4hrs to Rosendale, so if I'm actually in the car and rolling at 7AM, I would arrive around 8:45AM - would that still allow for a quick bite before we wander out? I will adjust my time around the group consensus, if we can reach one! Also, my cell number is 973-714-3533. If anyone else would be willing to post theirs, anyone who misses the timing window could stay in touch and intersect with the group somewhere else. A final comment, I prefer to photograph "things" rather than nature, so gravitate more to those architectural areas Eddie has mentioned, rather than waterfalls and trees. (But again that's personal, this meet is as much to interact with others as to make images, so I'm completely flexible with group decisions.) BUT..please, post a meeting time! See you all Saturday.

alec4444
11-Sep-2007, 20:04
BUT..please, post a meeting time!

Yeah, that helps. Eddie, you're the host, you pick the time... :p

--A

Flexnib
11-Sep-2007, 21:13
I also prefer the things. Trains, bridges, etc. As far as time I was hoping to get up there by 8-8:30 to have some breakfast and get on the road again by 9am.

Looking forward to seeing everyone on saturday.

Arthur, NYC

Pete Roody
12-Sep-2007, 16:10
I also prefer the things. Trains, bridges, etc. As far as time I was hoping to get up there by 8-8:30 to have some breakfast and get on the road again by 9am.

Looking forward to seeing everyone on saturday.

Arthur, NYC

I will be picking Alan up at Penn Station. His train comes in at 6:40am. I think we will be on the road around 7:00am and should be at 32 Lunch between 8:30 & 8:45.

Does anybody else need a ride from Manhattan?

Pete

Flexnib
12-Sep-2007, 16:14
Hello All,
Not to be the group jinx but...rain is forcast for saturday. Any plans for if this happens? Does Eddie have the cell numbers of the drivers to let them know the weather on saturday morning before we all pile in for the ride?

MenacingTourist
12-Sep-2007, 21:53
I saw that forcast as well. The one I looked at gave a 40% chance. For 40% I'm game to try it :)

Alex Wei
12-Sep-2007, 23:40
Rain or shine, I am there :)

arthur berger
13-Sep-2007, 04:37
A little rain is better than bright sunshine all day. I will be there too.

eddie
13-Sep-2007, 04:43
rain!?!?!!? good thing none of these giant LF cameras have electrical connections. i have peters phone and alex....and alex is coming no matter what.

don, maybe you could get a few phone #s and call us. i can tell you where we are then.i would think by noon we may just be hitting our second location. and that may be the area you mentioned, but that depends on the group.

peter, the first area has "everything" so do not worry. besides the good morning light i chose it cause it was very diversified. it has some great old stone buildings and many old locks.....i think just up your alley.

8:30 or 9 sounds fine to me. it really depends on the travelers. i will leave work with my pal Noli who owns 32 lunch if we miss any one. i polan to shoot in high falls just 4 miles from 32 lunch. 4 mile down rt 213 (213 is the turn at stewarts!)

ia m glad this is coming together. i can not wait.

eddie

eddie
13-Sep-2007, 10:16
Rain or shine, I am there :)

i am taking the day off work so i am game no matter what....no work for me.

eddie

Paul Hamann
13-Sep-2007, 16:14
I'm planning to be there.

This from the National Service for High Falls, NY

Saturday: A chance of showers, mainly before 9am. Mostly cloudy, then gradually becoming sunny, with a high near 70. South wind 6 to 14 mph becoming northwest. Chance of precipitation is 30%. New rainfall amounts of less than a tenth of an inch possible.

Sounds good to me.

Pete Roody
13-Sep-2007, 16:26
i will come rain or shine. Leaving from Penn Station (corner of 31st & 8th) at ~7:00 am. PM me if you need a ride.

Pete

alec4444
13-Sep-2007, 17:47
I'd be lying if I said I didn't care about the rain. But I too plan to come either way. Maybe we'll get some fog!!! :)

--A

alec4444
13-Sep-2007, 20:53
Hey Guys,

Pretty much packed up for the trip. One question: Is there really a need to bring the 11x14? I ask because when I look at the pile of gear I see a mound the size of another human. I'm planning on spending most of my time shooting my new 5x7....but I'm happy to bring up the bigger camera if someone wants to try shooting it (and if there's room in the car for it). I have 10 sheets of film loaded. If no takers I'm going to shed a few pounds and leave it behind.

Cheers!
--A

Alex Wei
13-Sep-2007, 21:30
Alec, I think there should be room for the 11X14, it can sit in the back seat if you don't mind :) Can I shoot two sheet of films with it?

alec4444
14-Sep-2007, 05:05
No problem! :) We'll both be ready @ 5:30...

eddie
14-Sep-2007, 05:12
Hey Guys,

Pretty much packed up for the trip. One question: Is there really a need to bring the 11x14? I ask because when I look at the pile of gear I see a mound the size of another human. I'm planning on spending most of my time shooting my new 5x7....but I'm happy to bring up the bigger camera if someone wants to try shooting it (and if there's room in the car for it). I have 10 sheets of film loaded. If no takers I'm going to shed a few pounds and leave it behind.

Cheers!
--A

me me me me! i would lov eot shoot an 11x14 or two! please please please! if you are tight on room leave alex home!:eek: ;) :p :) lol! (sorry alex)

eddie
15-Sep-2007, 19:16
hey all! great day!

alec, thanks for the 11x14 try out. after carrying it i never wanted to shoot 11x14....after seeing the negs i have to have one!!

alan, thanks for lending me the 10" "smutz" lens. it works great. i am not sure i got perfect "smutz" but i will print one to be sure. the negs look great! of course the best one out of 8 has two bad scratches on it! go figure!

art, thanks for the bulb!

art II and paul thanks for the 5x7 boxes!

everyone, it was a great day. tomorrow i will soup my 4x5 and see how the mushroom came out.

eddie

eddie
16-Sep-2007, 05:23
so developed my 4x5 mushroom photos today. they look good. another min of exposure would not have hurt. i am going back right now to shoot a few more sheets. this time i will also shoot some 8x10. i will try and scan some today at work.

eddie

Michael Graves
16-Sep-2007, 07:07
And a great time was had by all. I got separated from the group after the canal locks and somehow ended up on the Pennsylvania Turnpike, or the Los Angeles Expressway or the George Washington Bridge or something like that. But I still had a great time and an opportunity to make some shots I never would have found by myself. When can we do it again? I promise to stick with you guys next time.

Louie Powell
16-Sep-2007, 07:29
Glad to hear that the expedition went well.

I was tempted to join you guys, but we were invited to our neighbor's annual golf picnic. Unfortunately, they called yesterday morning to say that they had to cancel the affair. Seems that Mugs totaled her car last Sunday on the Taconic, and while she was able to walk away, she was hurting in places she didn't know she had. Ah yes, once again life interferes with idealized plans.

MenacingTourist
16-Sep-2007, 07:47
I had a great time!
Got up at 4:45am to catch the 5:30 train...got home after midnight. Pete told me not to fall asleep on the train but I did anyway and somehow I woke up at Princeton Junction. Whew! No one wants to wake up in Trenton.

Thanks to Eddie for organizing/guiding the outing and to everyone who showed up and especially to Pete for the ride from NYC to Kingston.

Alan.

Michael Graves
16-Sep-2007, 07:58
Glad to hear that the expedition went well.

I was tempted to join you guys, but we were invited to our neighbor's annual golf picnic. Unfortunately, they called yesterday morning to say that they had to cancel the affair. Seems that Mugs totaled her car last Sunday on the Taconic, and while she was able to walk away, she was hurting in places she didn't know she had. Ah yes, once again life interferes with idealized plans.

Get down on your knees and thank the powers that be for the fact that she walked away. Cars can be replaced. Hope she come out okay.

Flexnib
16-Sep-2007, 08:19
Had a really great time. Hopefully got a few good images. It was nice to have people to talk to while wondering around the landscape instead of talking to myself about f/stops and shutter speeds and answering odd questions. We batted around a few ideas about future locations and trips, Coney Island sounded good so if you are up for it drop me a PM. Also if anyone is interested in heading back up Eddie's way please keep me in mind.
Thank you all for a wonderful day.

Arthur, NYC

alec4444
16-Sep-2007, 09:32
Hey Guys! Lovely time up there....many thanks to Alex for driving all that way! I would have fallen asleep on the way home had I driven myself. Michael, I hope you and your family didn't get discouraged and will join us again. I had some prints I made on my Fiery printer at work of the photos you contributed to the LF book that I wanted to give you. I'll mail them up. It's interesting to look at the difference.

Was great to see ALL of you who came. Bummed I missed a peek under the dark cloth of Paul's 8x20. Maybe next time. Speaking of which, where did we figure out we're going next time?

I only took a couple pics of the outing with the d**ital camera. Too nice a day to screw around with that. Sorry we never got a group shot!

Cheers!
--A

eddie
16-Sep-2007, 12:08
okay. i got a few scans. i think the prints will be way better. my scanner hates the density, but my enlarger will love it.

the one is with al's smutz lens.

the other two mushroom photos have more detail than i and my scanner can get out. i have made some more images today of the mushroom and i should have some great prints in a few days.

the first is 5x7. the second two are 4x5. notice the slugs on the trees near the shroom.

eddie

Don Ciccone
16-Sep-2007, 17:01
"the one is with al's smutz lens."

Eddie - I really like the portrait, can you tell me anything about the lens you used? Thanks.

Don

eddie
16-Sep-2007, 17:08
a few from thandar

eddie
16-Sep-2007, 17:12
"the one is with al's smutz lens."

Eddie - I really like the portrait, can you tell me anything about the lens you used? Thanks.

Don

don,
i was using alan's bausch and lomb projection kens. it gives a good "smutz" look. i iwll work on gettingthe correct subject/background distance to really see the "smutz"

eddie

eddie
16-Sep-2007, 17:23
found one more from thandar

davidb
16-Sep-2007, 23:18
Do I see a Chamonix ?

alec4444
17-Sep-2007, 04:55
Do I see a Chamonix ?

You did! That was Alex with his super cool Chamonix. Ridiculously light and WAY compact. He doesn't have that smile on his face for nuthin'. :D

What was particularly funny was Eddie's sales pitch to his wife. Wish I had a shot of that one.

--A

eddie
17-Sep-2007, 05:23
What was particularly funny was Eddie's sales pitch to his wife. Wish I had a shot of that one.

--A

i think it worked. thanks alex! you all will see an 8x10 going up for sale to pay for it......

Paul Hamann
17-Sep-2007, 05:31
Had a great time. Glad to meet everyone.

Thanks Eddie for arranging it.

Alec, sorry about the 8x20 but I didn't know where you were when I set up. Next time.

Michael, after 25 years in the area Kingston still befuddles me.

Hope we can meet up again before the weather turns too nasty.

Best,

Paul

Michael Graves
17-Sep-2007, 08:07
I was thinking of making all you guys spend your money on a motel and having a tour through the Green Mountains, up through the Notch and down through Stowe when the leaves start changing. You won't have any problem keeping up with my wife. And I'll drive the bright yellow Nissan so nobody can lose us.

Alex Wei
17-Sep-2007, 22:34
Guys, I had a blast on Sat. Met a great group of guys and gals, enjoyed every second of it. Thank you Eddie for organizing this outing. Of course I have to thank Arthur and Alec kept me awake behind the wheel. :)

It was a lot fun playing around with Alec's 11X14, especially when you can't reach the darn front stand while tilting! Eddie developed films before we got home and sounds like he is going to get a camera that can hold a 11X14 negative. I did mine yesterday, I like what I saw, the detail is just amazing! Compare with my 4X5 negative side by side, I see the reason why people want to go big, but I won't get raid of my Chamonix 4X5, It's just such a joy to use.

Hope we can do this some time soon. The image will come later.

Again, it was nice to meet everyone of you.

Alex Wei
17-Sep-2007, 22:37
i think it worked. thanks alex! you all will see an 8x10 going up for sale to pay for it......

Eddie, you own me one, big time :D

Peter Lewin
18-Sep-2007, 07:52
Well, my turn to thank Eddie and everyone for a great day. Also my regrets to the Graves family, from the end of the phone conversation that I could hear, I thought Eddie had you <5 minutes from us in Kingston before you vanished into never-never-land!
My own experience was bad news/good news. In anticipation of lots of images, I loaded up a bunch of old plastic Lisco holders, in addition to the newer Toyos that I use constantly. Bad news: looks like 5 out of 6 negatives from the old holders was light-flashed. (I may post scans later to verify, my logic says that plastic holders should be indestructible, so I don't know what went wrong.) The good news was that none of the ruined images really looked that good anyway, so other than being upset with myself, no great loss. The "Toyo" negs were all fine.
Anyway, I've posted the two images I liked best, in High Falls I wandered off following a sign about old stone buttresses, and these were the result. As I discussed with Carol Graves, I'm a total beginner with scanning and Photoshop, the attachments are straight scans from the negatives, nothing done in Elements other than resize. No idea why the colors from two PMK negs look so different in the scans.

Jonathan H
19-Sep-2007, 20:43
Wow.... I can't believe I missed this... I was actually going to be in New Paltz that day to climb, but slept late and never went.

I'm only in college and shoot digital right now, but have been very torn to get back to shooting film, and would rather shoot LF than 35mm (I've got a 5D for that). Would have loved to tag along and learn the ropes. I'm from North Jersey and climb up in the Shawangunks probably 2x a month.

Alex Wei
19-Sep-2007, 21:30
Here are couple of pictures I took

http://www.pbase.com/image/85895593.jpg

http://www.pbase.com/image/85895594.jpg

Alex Wei
19-Sep-2007, 21:33
This two took with Nettax on TMY 120 film

In the rain
http://www.pbase.com/image/85903318.jpg

lock
http://www.pbase.com/image/85903320.jpg

MenacingTourist
20-Sep-2007, 18:43
This two took with Nettax on TMY 120 film

In the rain
http://www.pbase.com/image/85903318.jpg

lock
http://www.pbase.com/image/85903320.jpg

Spectacular!
Your eye for 6x6 is impressive Alex.
Amazing what you can do with a $20 camera.

Alex Wei
20-Sep-2007, 20:43
Thanks, Alan, told you my best shot on the trip is going to be from my folders :)

I were amazed by how accurate the meter is on that folder!

Flexnib
21-Sep-2007, 09:13
Wonderful photo's...I am very jealous I will not be able to get into my darkroom until next week.

alec4444
28-Sep-2007, 21:04
Took a while, but I finally found some darkroom time today. This was my first time with Ilford FP4 in 5x7 sheets. Negs came out a bit "contrasty" for my taste, but it's not bad. Had some minor exposure issues here and there, and it appears one of my filmholders could use some new tape.

Cheers!
--A

http://www.alec.com/images/NewPaltzFalls1.jpg

http://www.alec.com/images/NewPaltzFalls2.jpg

http://www.alec.com/images/NewPaltzFalls3.jpg

alec4444
28-Sep-2007, 21:04
Took a while, but I finally found some darkroom time today.

A couple others:

http://www.alec.com/images/NewPaltzFalls4.jpg

http://www.alec.com/images/NewPaltzEngine.jpg

Flexnib
30-Sep-2007, 14:49
Hello All,
I have finally gotten back into my darkroom and have this first attempt to show for it. It is not a scan but a digital picture of the photo. The original is on 11x14 FB paper and the image size is about 12x10. It still has about 2-3 more attempts to get it right, I hope you enjoy it.

Arthur,NYC
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c393/flexnib/DSCN2881.jpg