PDA

View Full Version : Burke & James 5x7 / 4x5

Pete Watkins
16-Aug-2007, 00:53
I have just taken over the ownership of a superb B&J 5x7 with a 4x5 reducing back. The camera is in beautiful condition and I can live with the grey paint. I've a couple of questions though:-
1) What is the shortest focal length lens that I could use comfortably on this camera (I've tried my 90mm S.A. and it's a bit too short)?
2) What do other B&J users do to take care of the bellows, the original red ones?
Best wishes,
Pete.

MIke Sherck
16-Aug-2007, 06:51
The shortest lens I used with the original red bellows is a 127mm Ektar: movements are pretty restricted by the bellows, though. I'm confident that a 125mm Fuji would be all right; not sure about a 120mm.

The first B&J I had, the bellows were usable but needed a lot of tape. My current camera came with hopeless bellows and I had to replace them. Once replaced, though, they are more supple and I could probably use a little shorter lens than the Ektar, if I had one.

Mike

Jim Jones
16-Aug-2007, 07:52
I've used a 90mm Optar on my B&J 5x7 flatbed with a recessed lensboard.

Pete Watkins
17-Aug-2007, 00:56
Thanks for your help. I'll look out for the 125/127 lenses. Jim as I tried to use the 90 still mounted on a Wista type lens board via an bodged up adaptor I can now see how to solve my problem, thanks.
Pete.

Glenn Thoreson
17-Aug-2007, 18:14
Be aware that the 127 Ektar, though a fine lens, barely covers 4X5. If you need movements, you may find yourself out of luck.