PDA

View Full Version : Gossen SBC

David Richhart
14-Jul-2000, 00:19
I had very good luck with my trusty Gossen Luna Pilot for many years...but it di dn't survive the last outing. Just call me "Fumble Fingers" if you want! I was t hinking of a Gossen SBC anyway, and now I have the excuse to buy one.

I checked the archives and couldn't find much information, so here is the big qu estion... What are your opinions on the meter, and is the spot attachment a wort hwhile addition???

Thanks for the help and the great forum! - Dave

William Marderness
14-Jul-2000, 01:46
I owned this meter and liked it a lot. I used it with the variable angle attachment. I sold the meter, though, for a spot meter. This was hard for me to do since I like the meter's null system. The variable angle attachment is no substitute for a spot meter, and the multi-spot attachment for this meter is too expensive.

Sean Billy Bob Boy yates
14-Jul-2000, 02:01
I was fortunate enough to recieve an SBC with Multi-Beam spot attachment as a present. I had wanted a Pentax Spot but Dad got the Gossen at a good price and the Multi-beam was used and at a good price.

While I would almost be willing to part with the attachment - I can't quite bring myself to. They are bulky and awkward and ludicrously expensive and seldom show up used (although I have seen 3 on Ebay).

I can heartily recommend the meter but would only recommend the attachment if you could find a used one in excellent condition at a good price. Seriously, You could get a second hand Soligor for less than the cost of the darn attachment.

pat krentz
14-Jul-2000, 13:54
I have a Soligor 1 degree spot meter that was modified by Zone VI in 85 and it has functioned perfectly all these years, strongly second the recommendation that you get one. Pat P.S. If you do, get a pistol lanyard to put on it so you will not drop it. Pat

John O'Connell
16-Jul-2000, 18:35
Can't help you with the multi-spot attachment other than to say it looks enormous, and that the SBC weighs as much as a regular spot meter (~8 oz. / 250 grams).

Other than that I really like the SBC. One advantage it has over a regular spot meter is five stops more sensitivity.