PDA

View Full Version : Info about Technika 5x7

lungovw
14-Aug-2007, 03:13
Hello,

I just bought a Linhof Technika 5x7. It looks very used and I am not sure whether it will be more solid than the old wood cameras I have. A bit deceiving compared to the Tech V 4x5 that I use. The serial number is 25236. Does anybody have a reference book and would be so kind to tell me something about the model and year of production? It takes already the modern linhof film holders although the back could have been adapted later. Focusing nob only on one side. No rangefinder. It has rotating back but the piece that rotates is not original. It is a kind of plastic, well done, but not original. Last but not least: the lens board jigs a little bit on its rail. There are no springs or any device to lock it in position except for a tiny clicking device on marked places on the rail. But that is not enough to keep is free from jigging if you push and pull it. Is that normal or would that be a missing part?

Thanks in advance for any info

Rgds

WL

Bob Salomon
14-Aug-2007, 06:23
Hello,

I just bought a Linhof Technika 5x7. It looks very used and I am not sure whether it will be more solid than the old wood cameras I have. A bit deceiving compared to the Tech V 4x5 that I use. The serial number is 25236. Does anybody have a reference book and would be so kind to tell me something about the model and year of production? It takes already the modern linhof film holders although the back could have been adapted later. Focusing nob only on one side. No rangefinder. It has rotating back but the piece that rotates is not original. It is a kind of plastic, well done, but not original. Last but not least: the lens board jigs a little bit on its rail. There are no springs or any device to lock it in position except for a tiny clicking device on marked places on the rail. But that is not enough to keep is free from jigging if you push and pull it. Is that normal or would that be a missing part?

Thanks in advance for any info

Rgds

WL

26236 is a Technika III from 1955. The factory and the distributors have no repair parts or accessories for the III series cameras. The camera is probably long overdue for a professional CLA. That would, hopefully, stop the "jigging" or perhaps minimize it.

lungovw
14-Aug-2007, 07:03
Thanks for the info.
Well, as I am not a professional, I can cope with her idiosyncrasies and this old lady will still work many years for me.

Rgds

WL

tom north
16-Aug-2007, 12:34
WL,

I have a similar camera. I purchased a camera that was full of dirt, hair, etc. I found that when I cleaned it the rail locked much better. The best reference book is "Linhof Practice". I love my Linhof 5 x 7.

Good Luck

Tom

David A. Goldfarb
16-Aug-2007, 12:38
If the front standard doesn't grip the rail properly, slide it off the rail and look at the bottom of the standard. I'm not sure how it works on a 5x7" Tech III, but on my 4x5" Tech V there is a cam (not associated with the focusing cams) you can turn to adjust the tension in the rail grips.

Chauncey Walden
16-Aug-2007, 19:11
WL,
If it is like the 4x5 Tech III, and I assume it is, you (the user) put the notches in the rail with a file to place the front standard at the infinity distances for your various lenses. The shape and wear factors of the notches on the rail and the engaging pin on the standard determine how firm the lockup is. Perhaps a little more work with a jeweler's file will tighten things up.