PDA

View Full Version : China trip

dom
13-Aug-2007, 15:57
I'm planning a trip to Nepal and Kunming China and wondered if anyone has had any problems with getting cameras and lenses through customs. I'm thinking of taking my 4x5 Arca Field and five lenses, along with a DSLR and a couple zooms. A friend in China is ordering my film, and I'm considering buying a tripod when I arrive as I've heard they are a "Red flag" for inspectors. I've also been told a wood field looks "Less pro" and would be less of a potential problem. Any thoughts and advice from those who have been to China with LF would be appreciated.

Paul Droluk
13-Aug-2007, 17:20
I'm an American who has been living full time in China for almost 5 years, traveling abroad 2-3 times a year, always with a lot of camera equipment, and I've never been hassled by Chinese Customs. I've been told that technically you are only allowed to bring in one (1) camera for personal use, but I've never had that regulation applied to me or seen it applied to anyone else either. Last trip, I carried a 4x10 with 2 lenses, a 617 with 2 lenses, a DSLR with 4 lenses, AND a large Gitzo tripod (all carry-on with the help of my wife). My experience has been that Western travelers are given a lot of leeway in China.