PDA

View Full Version : Betterlight Scanning Back for 4x5

bob carnie
12-Aug-2007, 11:19
Hi There
I am considering a purchase of one of these suckers *new or used* , I have been on their site and downloaded all the pdf's that go over all the pros's of these devices.
I want to use it on a Cambo 4x5 as a studio camera for still life, tabletop photography as well as copy work of small to large originals in our studio.

Does anyone here own one or have used the unit, if so what do you think of the back and would you recommend it?
Also are the files as nice as the propaganda claims?
thanks

Armin Seeholzer
12-Aug-2007, 11:30
Hi Bob

You should also have a luck on this one its even better:
http://www.anagramm.com/
Armin J. Seeholzer

Marko
12-Aug-2007, 11:40
Hi Bob,

Check these guys out too: http://www.mega-vision.com/products/products.htm

I have no personal experience with them, but they certainly sound interesting.

Jeremy Moore
12-Aug-2007, 14:36
Bob, I use one at work and I really like it (the Super 8K). The support from Mike at Betterlight is also top notch.

MJSfoto1956
12-Aug-2007, 15:25
Bob, I use one at work and I really like it (the Super 8K). The support from Mike at Betterlight is also top notch.

I use mine for three things:

1.) copy flat artwork
2.) super high-res studio camera
3.) Infrared field camera

Below is one of my field pieces:

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/14/18193294_1e864b9858.jpg

Ditto on the service and candid information from Mike -- he has to be one of the most knowledgeable people out there.

Anthony Lewis
16-Aug-2007, 03:55
I notice that one of Anagramm's backs the Production2 has a scan area of 118mm X 72mm. This is close to 4x5 - just a little more panoramic. I'm not sure what point I am making, except that it is emminently suitable for 4x5 lenses. Imagine if this trend continues amongst digital backs of any kind.

bob carnie
16-Aug-2007, 05:56
Thank you all for your responses and links.

Micheal and Jeremy I would specifically like ask you to help me out with a test project I am working on.
I would like to try a dead nuts apple to apple test of the betterlight back , against Phase and the CannonMark11. If you have axcess to either of the capture devices and are willing to photograph a scene of your choice , I would print mag test off my Lambda on FujiFlex and as well make a mural colour print as well convert the file to B&W and make a Lambda fibre using the Harmon Digital Fibre paper and put both prints in a presentation matt as well and ship to you.
I am doing this with Jim Collum as well and the comparison testing would benifit me in my decision making process re purchase of the betterlight.
I would like to keep a mural of each for our presentation purposes as well.
Not in a big hurry so if you are interested give me a pm and we can discuss the details further.
Bob

Jack Flesher
16-Aug-2007, 07:34
I would like to try a dead nuts apple to apple test of the betterlight back , against Phase and the CannonMark11.

Call Mike Collette at Betterlight -- he has carefully controlled idential captures form all these cameras and does not over-sell his product in the comparison. As has been said, the service is top-notch.

FWIW, I had the Betterlight Super 6K and *LOVED* the output. The process and paraphenalia was a bit extensive for field work which is why I sold it. For studio, there is nothing else I would even look into -- other than a Betterlight Super 8K :)

A Brown
16-Aug-2007, 07:52
We use both the Betterlight & Phase One FX scanning backs in our studio with tremendous success. They take a bit of getting used to in regards to the workflow, but there is nothing else on the market that even comes close. I would highly recommend them.

Jeremy Moore
16-Aug-2007, 09:56
Bob, I don't have access to a Phase back (though we may be getting an H3D w/ 39mp back for the lab soon), but can do a comparison between the Super8K and the Canon 1Ds Mark IIn for you.

bob carnie
16-Aug-2007, 12:53
Thank you all.
I am willing to make prints for those willing to make dead nuts comparisons between Betterlight and Phase/or Cannon Mark series. Same setup , same lighting, and good processing of the files.

I would ask that I be able to keep a mural print for Elevator , we plan to do a few lectures in the next couple of years and *live* imagery that I use is good for our decision making on the device as well as show/tell purposes.
Please pm me so we can discuss how it would work.

Bob

michael willinger
23-Aug-2007, 15:22
I'm using a dicomed - betterlight with a cambo 4x5 & the combo is great. The files sizes of this old unit are 129 megs images are super. Its a large unit for hauling around but well worth it for landscape work. I personally like the previewing feature which allows a heads up on what going to come out.

flickr.com/photos/pipababy100

rhbourbonnais
23-Aug-2007, 15:31
A couple of things to realize about scanning backs as compaired to one shots is that they don't work with strobes or people. This is because they scan the thin narrow sensor strip across the image plane, so a strobe would only light a thin strip and any movement from a person during the scan time would disconnect parts of the image.
For a person used to using strobes for tabletop, going to continuous lights can be quite a switch.
Robin

Gene McCluney
2-Sep-2007, 10:12
For a person used to using strobes for tabletop, going to continuous lights can be quite a switch.
Robin

And, unless you use one of those cold-light options (flourescent?) the heat generated can raise your air conditioning bills.