PDA

View Full Version : who's in really southern Ontario?

Joseph O'Neil
12-Aug-2007, 07:41
Hi everyone;
Just curious to see who in way south-western Ontario - that is, the London, Sarnia- Windsor triangle, north shore of lake Erie, that sort of thing. I've been to Rob's LF dinners in Toronto and had a good time, but ack, I hate Toronto traffic.

I am thinking one of two thing:

First - a small, informal gathering at a Starbuck's or similar some weekend afternoon or some evening.

Second - perhaps an informal gathering and a an informal shooting session. for example, there are many, many places on the north shore of lake Erie that would make for a wonderdul day of shooting. One example is the Port Stanley are - you have place like Hawk Cliff overlooking the lake, the King George V lift bridge, the fishing boats, the old Churches & graveyards in the town that go back almost 200 years, you have nearby towns like Sparta, founded by the Quakers during the War of 1812 and one of the main reasons that the Sparta-Port Stanely area was a major conduit for the Underground Railroad.

then you have the fun stuff like the local wineries and the Shaw Ice Cream factory - better than Haagen Daas, IMO. :)

Point is, in late summer and early fall, there are many, many places to shoot, and afterwards just gather and chew the fat. if nothing else, Mackies greasy fries on the beach at Port Stanely always seem to taste very good, no matter how fattening they are. :)

So if anyone is interested in an afternoon some weekend at or around the Port Stanely area, let me know here. Yes, even you guys form Toronto and Hamiliton areas would be more than welcome. :)

As I said, very, very informal. I could make up some Google maps and point out areas of interest, especially historical interest. The War of 1812, the Underground Railroad, the Upper Canada Rebellion, destroyed/lost Indian villages, historical grave yards including graves of Canadian Civil War veterans, the legend of Hell's Gates, and more. Depends on what people are interested in. Not only do I shoot 4x5, but I am currently Chair of the Heritage Adv. Committee for the City of London, so I can point out some neat places in the area.

Also, I've been sick as a dog the past month or two - and didn't know exactly why until a couple weeks ago when my appendix burst. Been out of hospital a week now, and slowly getting better, but angry in a way at missing so many shooting opportunties this summer. Chomping at the bit to get back into things, especially want to try out my "new" used DeVere 504 and a couple "new" used lenses I bought early this year.

So, who's up for Port Stanely area in later September or early October for an informal shoot? Here's a link to google maps for the area. Sorry for the long url. :(

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Port+Stanley,+Elgin,+Ontario,+Canada&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=30.461748,82.265625&ie=UTF8&cd=1&ll=42.669058,-81.212482&spn=0.055158,0.160675&z=13&om=1

anytime
joe

bob carnie
12-Aug-2007, 09:18
I grew up in Southwestern Ontario and as a teenager remembe Port Stanley dances at that large club that was there, I think it burn't down. Live in the big smoke now.
I would be interested in a trip to your area, though I only shoot Noblex so not sure if I fit into the Large Format crowd.
The sand cliffs are not to far away as I remember and I do remember family visits to Turkey Point.* boy is that going back, 1955-59.

Ron Bose
12-Aug-2007, 13:03
Hi Joseph,

I live in Burlington, but my girlfriend's grandparents live in Aylmer (near St Thomas) and her parents live near Turkey Point, so we're frequent visitors to that part of the world.

I'd love to take the Phillips or the Gandolfi out that way ... count us in.