PDA

View Full Version : Half Plate/5x7 back

gari beet
11-Aug-2007, 11:37
I recently bought a 5x7 with a 5x4 back and planned to get a 5x7 back for it in the next few months. However, I have found some Half Plate holders and was wondering if they would fit a 5x7 back as I am sure reading threads stating that they are almost identical in dimension.

I plan to get a 5x7 back and fit it to a rear panel much the same as the back on it at present, I guess I can do this with a Half Plate also if the holders won't fit 5x7?

I am relatively new to LF and not really a collector so my knowledge of formats etc is rather sketchy!!

Gari

Getting H/P film is no problem in the UK so thats not an issue.

Ash
11-Aug-2007, 11:41
The Half-plate holders and 5x7 holders are interchangeable on my half plate camera. Following the logic, they should be interchangeable the other way around also.

Beware though, you may not fit 5x7 film into the half plate holders, and half plate is rare standardized.

I had to take a rasp/plane to the sides of some HP holders I bought so that they would fit correctly!

Richard Kelham
11-Aug-2007, 11:57
There are 3 formats – half-plate, 5x7inch and 13x18cm – all the holders are the same size externally (or so the theory goes), though obviously the films are different sizes so are not interchangeable.

So, yes get a 5x7 back for your camera and then you will have a choice of film sizes. But beware that very old film holders may not have the same registration as more modern ones, so make sure that the holders match the back!

Richard

Rafael Garcia
11-Aug-2007, 13:45
I have a half-plate camera that has home-made backs for 4x5 and 5x7, in addition to the original half-plate back. Half plate is a very old format, and the filmholders exist in "bookform" and standard types. The bookform (oldest) style is very hard to find, was not standardized (so it's different in every camera) and requires an old back with double-hinged, filp-up ground glass and tracks to match the particular filmholder. The modern style should fit a 5x7, although the warnings given you by the previous respondents apply. I found one bookform holder for my old half-plate back and was able to modify it to fit my back's track, so I know it is possible to do such a thing. However, other than that you have the half-plate holders, why would you want to shoot in that format? Megapearls in Japan is the only source I know for film cut in that size, and it runs $40.00 US for a box of 20 Fomapan 100 sheets. You say it's obtainable in GB, so that may trump my main argument for not using it.

In my opinion, 5x7 is a beautiful size and, even though not as available as it used to be, you can still buy it from a number of sources at a much better price. Anyway, that's my opinion. I'm sure others think that half-plate is a better format, and their reasons will be just as valid as mine! Congratulations on joining the LF camp. You will enjoy it inmensely!

gari beet
12-Aug-2007, 01:35
Thanks for the replies folks. The holders are Kodak Half Plates and look much the same as my 5x4s in design so I assume they are relatively modern.

I have not bought them yet, this question was asked on the basis of wether to get them as it seems 5x7 holders are quite hard to come by at present, used at least.

Thanks again

Gari

Rob_5419
12-Aug-2007, 10:49
You're in luck then Gari.

I have a set of Kodak Half Plates (UK made) and they all fit half-plate film perfectly and they slot into half-plate spring holders perfectly too. They should be a good bridge for your 5x7" ;)