PDA

View Full Version : Not your usual rant about the TSA, this one is expensive

Hollis
9-Aug-2007, 17:39
I decided to fly to El Paso last week to see some family vacationing in the mountains of Southern New Mexico and since I was going to be out there, I figured, what the heck, ill pack my gear and get some shots out at White Sands (one of my favorite places). Well, I pack my gear in a storm case, zip tie it and hand it off to the goons in Nashville to send it on its way. Well, when I got to El Paso and claimed my case, some one had decided to open it up (hence my feeling it was the f!@#ing TSA) and help themselves to my Canon 5D and about 4000.00 worth of lenses. On the upside, my 4x5 and all associated minutiae (lenses, meter, holders, polaroid, etc.) was undisturbed.

So, watch your stuff and do not trust the TSA. Also, anyone who was as unfortunate as me and know how to deal with these people, please, let me know.

Hollis

www.hollisbennett.com

Scott Knowles
9-Aug-2007, 17:48
That sucks. What was their answer? Will they investigate the staff and what happened? What compensation are they offering? And how long will it take? Don't they understand the impact on the individual about their work and life? Good luck and keep us posted.

Louie Powell
9-Aug-2007, 17:50
The message here is clear:

1. Checking cameras is risky. Carryon is always better.

2. If you must check your camera, open the container at the airport to make sure that everything is there. That way, if something is missing, you can immediately file a claim, and supposedly TSA is responsible about addressing those claims. But if you leave the airport and later find that something is missing, you don't stand much chance in getting relief.

Daniel_Buck
9-Aug-2007, 17:53
I carry on my camera bag. Not sure what I would do if I had two bags/packs of cameras, so far I haven't run into that situation though.

Hollis
9-Aug-2007, 17:58
Sometimes you can't carry on your camera. The case I have is a fairly large storm case due to the fact that I wanted one with wheels. I did file a claim but it was with the air carrier as soon as I got my bag. I am in the process of collecting receipts and serial numbers so that I can fill out form TS-95 to the best of my ability. Naturally, I was fuming mad when it first happened and I wanted to rip someone from limb to limb but now I just want this to be taken care of. That digital is what I made my money with and I am up the proverbial shit creek. Ill keep everyone posted how it turns out.

David A. Goldfarb
9-Aug-2007, 18:17
When my laptop was stolen pre-9/11 by baggage handlers at LaGuardia I got nothing. Pilferage was rampant at LaGuardia, it was later discovered, but the carrier took no responsibility, the airport didn't offer any recourse except to report it to airport police, which I did. At least they didn't touch the Canon F-1N or lenses that were in the same compartment.

Given how easy it is for baggage handlers to pilfer items in checked baggage (and I suspect them more than I suspect the TSA, since the hiring process is less rigorous for such people), it is presumably just as easy to get something into checked baggage.

vinny
9-Aug-2007, 18:32
As far as i know, the airlines don't cover lost or damaged photo gear so that won't help. I'd be suprised if the tsa did either. I've dealt with the tsa regarding the tsa "certified" padlocks that get broken off in transit. Good luck. It took me months just to get $20. They could care less about you.

Keith Pitman
9-Aug-2007, 20:03
Sorry about your lost gear.

Usually, TSA leaves some sort of tracks (a note in or on your bag) when they open your luggage, but the airline baggage handlers just take stuff. I had an item (not expensive) pilfered from an outside pocket on my checked bag earlier this year. Every time I talked to the airline about it, their first response was to blame the TSA. I always lock my bag now to keep the airline thieves out of it. I use the TSA locks so TSA can get in if they need to.

I understand about having a large case, but I'd put my clothes, etc. in the large case and carry my expensive stuff on regardless, even if it wasn't packed as well--if you are carrying it, it's at less risk of rough handling than if it was in a bag.

Good luck on your claim.

Gordon Moat
9-Aug-2007, 20:47
Theft rings at major airports are unfortunately not that unusual. The biggest problem is that while the TSA wants more access to your luggage, they are unwilling to compensate anyone for loss or damage beyond $300 (might be more, depending upon airline). Gear insurance can help, if you have a policy that covers airline flight issues. Unfortunately, if you travel and have a paid shoot to do, and your gear does not get to your final location, that insurance claim will do little to solve immediate issues. Best bet is to use another carrier (FedEX, UPS, DHL, etc. depending upon preference), and insure everything shipped that way.

My current worst case item going into checked luggage is my tripod. Usually I take it apart so it fits better, and to minimize damage. I figure worst case is I would have to buy another tripod at my final destination, in the event mine gets destroyed.

More airlines need to go out of business, especially the ones unwilling to help travelers when bad things occur. Maybe then the responsible airlines will remain, and service might actually improve, maybe even enough that people want to fly more often. Shame Amtrak does not go to more locations quicker.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat
A G Studio (http://www.allgstudio.com)

davidb
9-Aug-2007, 21:17
I would contact the media.

David R Munson
9-Aug-2007, 21:22
I would contact the media.

Agreed (and make a big ol' stink until someone who can do something about it takes notice).

Hollis
10-Aug-2007, 00:02
Again, thank you all for your comments. A bit more info...

American Airlines (my carrier, unfortunately) denies any liablility for 'photography equipment, video equipment, art, antiques, electronics, etc.etc.etc' and are unwilling at the moment to help me out. When I first reported it to them (minutes after receiving my bag) they were very unsympathetic and down right rude but by keeping my cool I was able to convince them to start a claim for me, for what it is worth. After reading the paperwork, it looks like they are only liable for up to $2800.00, if they are liable at all. I have emailed the Nashville newspaper and hopefully someone there will help me to bring pressure on the situation. I feel that I am essentially at the bottom right now and any action would be good action. Also, something odd, did you know that claims through the TSA that are paid are paid through the Coast Guard. Odd.

evan clarke
10-Aug-2007, 03:44
I would make sure and not elect ANYBODY who is currently in office and urge a newly elected official to purge his or her staff of existing employees..Evan Clarke

Henry Ambrose
10-Aug-2007, 05:08
Sorry for your loss.

You might check to see if your homeowners policy offers any coverage.

This isn't anything new --- the airlines limited their responsibility decades before the current TSA regulations. It is important to have your gear covered by your own insurance policy. That's the only way you can be sure you are covered.

riooso
10-Aug-2007, 06:14
I am not a professional but I am sick and tired of the airline thing. I live in northern California and my wife wanted to fly to New Mexico. I took an extra couple of days off and we are driving. It will be nice to shoot along the way anyway. Only 17 hours of driving. I hate the airlines and their crappy attitude towards their customers. Any other business would be out of business. They want access to your baggage but are unwilling to work with you about losses. They bitch about the amount of carry ons that you have when they refuse to do anything about the thievery. TSA and the film thing is a pain in the ass also. I am sure that I can find some interesting stops along the way to break up the trip.

Richard Adams

Dan V
10-Aug-2007, 06:47
Sorry for your loss. It serves as a good reminder for the rest of us. Trust no one.

Next time, try putting in with your gear some small life-like baby rattlesnakes. Just might give one of those goons a well-deserved heart attack.

I share Richard's view. When I decided on a vacation spot last fall, one requirement was that it be close enough to drive to. I sure as heck wasn't going to trust my LF gear to those thieves and gorillas at the airports.

And if my next domestic vacation spot is too far to drive, I'll just ship ahead much of my gear, taking some of the more valuable pieces as carry-on.

QUOTE=riooso;263704]I am not a professional but I am sick and tired of the airline thing. I live in northern California and my wife wanted to fly to New Mexico. I took an extra couple of days off and we are driving. It will be nice to shoot along the way anyway. Only 17 hours of driving. I hate the airlines and their crappy attitude towards their customers. Any other business would be out of business. They want access to your baggage but are unwilling to work with you about losses. They bitch about the amount of carry ons that you have when they refuse to do anything about the thievery. TSA and the film thing is a pain in the ass also. I am sure that I can find some interesting stops along the way to break up the trip.

Richard Adams[/QUOTE]

Scott Davis
10-Aug-2007, 06:59
Forget rattlesnakes- too survivable if bitten :D I'd go for Black Mambas. Or Funnel Web spiders from Australia.

David A. Goldfarb
10-Aug-2007, 06:59
As far as checking a tripod goes, I always check mine in a Tenba TTP 34 case with the head on and the handles loose or removed, and usually some other small items like light meters and such. I've watched from the window at the gate as it's gone flying off a baggage truck onto the tarmac after making a sharp turn, and everything's always come through okay. I suspect that thieves may just not recognize tripods as valuable items, and they are harder to sneak out than laptops or SLRs.

Ben R
10-Aug-2007, 07:26
Have said for a while, if we have to go through the baggage checks, through the x-rays and emptying our pockets, aside from the fact that for security purposes there should be no reason why all baggage handlers shouldn't be x-rayed and checked both on the way in and out of work like us. We pay the damn money and have to go through the modern hell of the flying experience, they get paid but don't have to put up with even the slightest inconvenience to cut down the frankly embarresingly pathetic reputation flying has in this - the 21st century. Of course the unions wouldn't even start to let it happen.

Carry on luggage I'm afraid (screw lunch and a book) and lots of insurance...

claudiocambon
10-Aug-2007, 07:43
Sorry to hear that.

I agree with others that raising a stink in the media is a good idea. People are very sensitive to airport issues, be it airline customer service, TSA efficiency and integrity, and overall security issues. The general public wants to see a better functioning of this environment to indicate that we have made some progress post 9/11, and these sorts of stories are triggers for the media to the contrary, so I think your story has traction. One of the parties, such as the airline may then just want to make you happy so that you will go away. Squeaky wheel gets the grease.

I also use the TSA approved baggage locks, the ones only they can open, when I ship gear in the hold. That might place the blame more squarely on their doorstep, should anything happen, and in that instance they may have to answer for more. It's hard when such a big bureaucracy turns its broad back to you.

I have also read on this site that people's homeowner insurance policies can come up to the bat for this, even if only on a one time basis. For future reference, business insurance, which doesn't have to be more than 500-900 per year, depending on how much gear you have, gives a lot of coverage, not to mention peace of mind.

Robert Hall
10-Aug-2007, 08:32
Doesn't anyone carry insurance for their gear?

I would't set foot outside the house without it.

Brian Ellis
10-Aug-2007, 08:55
If I have too much to carry everything on board I put the camera and tripod in a beat-up, unobtrusive, hard-shell suitcase surrounded by clothing. Nothing to indicate there's photography gear or anything else worthwhile inside. I check the suitcase and carry lenses, film, etc. on board in the backpack. So far no problems.

cyrus
10-Aug-2007, 09:04
Sorry about your lost gear.

Usually, TSA leaves some sort of tracks (a note in or on your bag) when they open your luggage, but the airline baggage handlers just take stuff. I had an item (not expensive) pilfered from an outside pocket on my checked bag earlier this year. Every time I talked to the airline about it, their first response was to blame the TSA. I always lock my bag now to keep the airline thieves out of it. I use the TSA locks so TSA can get in if they need to.

I understand about having a large case, but I'd put my clothes, etc. in the large case and carry my expensive stuff on regardless, even if it wasn't packed as well--if you are carrying it, it's at less risk of rough handling than if it was in a bag.

Good luck on your claim.

The TSA locks thing is a nice idea poorly executed. First, the locks are childs play to break - any determined pilferer can get into the them right quick. Second most of the TSA folks don't have the keys to open the locks in actual practice - and if they do, so do the pilferers.

If you really must check in your camera, put the largest, scariest lock you can on the baggage and wait for the TSA to call you to open your luggage for a search. Then relock it nice and tight.

Hollis
10-Aug-2007, 09:15
All valid points, especially the snakes, I like that. I don't know how it is for the rest of the country but the last 4 or 5 times I have flown, the TSA is no where to be found when checking in. Your bag is taken by the carrier and dissappears into the mire of the airport without anyone asking to search it. I would assume that they search bags in some secluded room, probably without cameras, and have their pick of the litter. As far as insurance goes, I just switched companies and I am in the process of trying to buy a house but the search is taking much longer than I thought. Needless to say, I gave up my renters policy then and have yet to get a homeowners policy. Probably one of the dumbest things Ive done in awhile but it still does not negate the fact that my gear went missing.

www.hollisbennett.com

Paul Metcalf
10-Aug-2007, 09:41
I think your comments toward TSA in general are misplaced. Some thief and/or scumbag stole your gear. If they worked for TSA, then that's the only association. Making a generalization to the whole of TSA points to your biases. BTW, things got stolen from luggage long before TSA was around. Crime happens, don't check anything valuable. If you can't carry it on, then use some other means.

Jerry Flynn
10-Aug-2007, 09:42
I agree with the comment Cyrus made. I put TSA locks on my Pelican case the last time I flew with it and when I aarived at my desitnation, the shackle on one was bent at about a 45 degree angle and the other was broken open. Nothing was missing, fortunately. So, the locks are substandard and you would have to worry that the TSA key is a master for all such locks. Only one has to get loose and any criminal has access to all locked luggage. I doubt that the keys have the complexity of a Medeco-type key and can be copied easily.

kevin kelly
10-Aug-2007, 15:40
I'm going to sound really thick here, but what does TSA standfor?

Nathan Potter
10-Aug-2007, 15:46
No one has mentioned an obvious way to avoid the airline hacks. If I can't carry it on and I must have it at my destination then I'll mail it by FedEx to my first nights' location. Typically I'll spend the first night in a B&B, where I've contacted the owners and arranged to have them receive my camera equipment. It costs extra bucks but I've always had my gear.

Hollis
10-Aug-2007, 16:13
TSA is the gov. agency (one of many) that was formed in response to sept. 11 and stands for transportation security agency. In rebuttal to Paul's comment, put yourself in my place. Im a young, aspiring photographer and I just had my livelihood taken away from me by some 'thief and/or scumbag,' of course I am going to be bitter, critical and not as accepting as I should be. Big deal, Im human. Im sure anyone on here would be feeling the same things I am if this happened to them. Oh, and about the TSA master key, yeah, they are easy to get ahold of. I wanted to see how easy it would be to get one and am now in the possesion of one after all of 12 hours of looking for one. Secure, real secure indeed.

al olson
10-Aug-2007, 19:10
Hollis, I can commiserate with you. Earlier I had a cheap digital ($300) stolen while I got of the plane to stretch my legs at a stopover. Not that my loss was as great as yours, but it underlines the fact that thieves are everywhere.

I always carry my cameras and lenses on board with me. The only thing that goes into my checked luggage is a small, cheap Manfrotto. The most expensive things in there are probably a well-worn electric razor and my shoes.

I am always suspicious of having my bags x-rayed while they are out of my sight. What an invitation to remove whatever the handlers want. It would be more useful to have them x-rayed while you observe -- before they are checked. Then the luggage gorillas would have to open them up downstairs to see what was in them...less likely, I think, for them to steal your stuff.

Right after 9-11 Baltimore airport was doing just that. They ran an x-ray right after you left the ticket counter. You had to carry your bags over to them but they already were tagged. Unfortunately, this was a temporary solution and I don't think they do it that way anymore.

Appealing to the media is worthwhile, but they lose interest when the culprit is a big advertiser. Years ago I had some issues with GM, as did many other people. After printing someone's letter to the editor, I was told that the issue had been covered enough.

Note, however, that almost every state in the nation has small claims courts. Limits vary, but they are usually several thousand dollars. What I would do after I found what my settlement was going to be I would file suit for the balance. They have to appear or else you will get a judgement, unless the judge decides your case is frivolous.

I would then make my case to the media. This would generate a little more public interest and keep it in the public eye longer.

You represent yourself. They will probably send a lawyer, in which case you can get one, but it then goes to a higher court. If you are still representing yourself, you can elect to keep it in small claims. It will cost them money to fight you ... lawyers aren't cheap.

With a sympathetic judge you may win your case. I have watched judges help people with their case by asking leading questions. Or better yet, they may elect to pay your claim so that you do not set a precedent by getting a judgement against them. The two times I have gone to small claims court I went to the two preceding sessions to get an understanding of how they work.

One the other hand, the judge may throw it out on a technicality. But at least you tried. I hope you get this resolved to your satisfaction. Keep us posted. You have our support on this one.

We should all get stickers that say "Fight Airline Luggage Theft" to put on our luggage and cars.

Paul Metcalf
10-Aug-2007, 20:22
In rebuttal to Paul's comment, put yourself in my place

I've been in your place. First of all, I feel for you and I really wish this didn't have to happen. But I lost some pretty expensive fishing gear a number of years ago, well before TSA and 9/11. It will be a temporary help blaming someone, but in the long run, the answer is to protect yourself going forward. That's what most of us "seasoned" folk mean by our postings. Try and avoid, at all cost, checking anything valuable. That includes your favorite sweatshirt if you can't be without it. Otherwise, insurance, and prayer (or hope or whatever floats your boat as they say) and some luck are necessary, or alternatives to travel. Good luck. There are decent people out there.

gr82bart
11-Aug-2007, 18:47
That sucks.

Pinpointing who exactly pilfered your gear is not easy. TSA handles your bags first after check-in. Then it's sent by airport authority or airline handlers through the airport to the baggage gates where it's loaded by airline baggage handlers or airport handlers under contract by the airline. At the arrival airport it's kind of the opposite process except the there's no TSA inspection.

An airport is a good example where 'mutual accountability' means you're screwed when someone decides to be incompetent or a criminal. As for protecting yourself going forward, the only way is either carry on or insurance. I wonder if they make FAA safe RFID tags?

Regards, Art.

davidb
14-Aug-2007, 09:44
keep an eye on the craigslist in nashville or wherever the items went missing. and contact the local police there with the serial numbers and such

neil poulsen
14-Aug-2007, 10:21
If stuff is stolen by airport staff, then the airport's responsible, whether or not they care to admit it.

I hope you have insurance. That's a lot to lose.

Robert Hughes
14-Aug-2007, 10:23
Well, when I got to El Paso and claimed my case, some one had decided to open it up (hence my feeling it was the f!@#ing TSA) and help themselves to my Canon 5D and about 4000.00 worth of lenses.

So, watch your stuff and do not trust the TSA.
www.hollisbennett.com
Kinda like trusting the CIA to manage those ol' poppy fields in Afghanistan, eh? At least some parts of this gov't are covering their expenses...
;)

KenM
14-Aug-2007, 11:43
Two things, both mentioned above - I'll repeat them because they're so important:

1. Always have insurance for your gear. Can you afford to not have it?
2. Never, ever, *ever* check stuff you can't afford to lose. You have no idea who is working in the back rooms, and if your equipment is out of sight, you have no control over it. Always carry your gear on if you can manage it.

I take my bags and swap them when I fly - my camera bag (really a mountaineering back pack) becomes my clothing bag. Unfortunately, I have to put my tripod in the checked bag, but that's about as much risk as I'm willing to take. The rest of my camera gear goes into my carry-on roller and a smaller shoulder pack. I've never had a problem doing this, and my gear is never outside of arms reach.

Jeffrey Sipress
14-Aug-2007, 12:51
Yes, have insurance. But, always carry the expensive stuff with you on board. Or, ship it FedEx or UPS insured beforehand. You can't trust those goons. What did you expect??

Hollis
14-Aug-2007, 22:37
Well, I never expect to get robbed. I don't know, I still have a little faith in humanity but I guess you can only tempt the week so long until they show their selfish disregard for other people. Oh, and my renters insurance would not have covered a dime of my gear, has to be a seperate business policy. Lame.

Dave Parker
15-Aug-2007, 07:43
I carry separate insurance on all my equipment, that not only covers theft, but covers if I drop something and break it, if I am in a car accident and damage it, etc.

It really is not that expensive if you belong to one of the various photography organizations.

Robert Hall
15-Aug-2007, 08:01
Try AAA for insurance. I did this while I was waiting for my home to be built. I carry a seperate policy through Allied Ins. that covers my equipment.

dom
17-Aug-2007, 09:07
Having had a lot of gear stolen over the years and spending a lot of time finding out what happened, I can tell you that most TSA rooms are very secure and are under surveilance. The problems occur when the bags leave the inspection room and go out to the ramp. It's like the wild west out there. It's most likely the baggage guy's, not TSA.

I've found the best system is to use a Lightware style case, then put it inside a HARD TSA approved locking suitcase (I like the Delsey's, they hold up really well, have good wheels, and make a hard shell model that zips). I also have some pellican foam in it, then put a luggage strap around it.

I also try to carry on any digi bodies.

naturephoto1
17-Aug-2007, 10:30
Hi Hollis,

Very sorry about the stolen equipment. To avoid such problems, I have invested in a special photo backpack to carry the gear on board for air travel. Additionally, I will send some of my gear to meet me for pickup at the other end being shipped via FEDEX or DHL if need be.

You may want to look into a pack or roller from Think Tank Photo. They have been making a large assortment of Backpacks and Rollers (that do not look like photo cases) in different sizes for Domestic and International travel. Here is their link:

http://www.thinktankphoto.com/

Rich

Brian K
18-Aug-2007, 07:19
Baggage theft and loss at airlines, and TSA, is at an all time high. In either 2005 or 2006, 89 TSA employees were fired for theft. You can be certain that far more have not been caught. I carry ALL my gear on the plane except the tripod which goes into a regular suitcase, covered with clothes. I drive to any and all locations in North America.

TenOx
5-Sep-2007, 12:58
I think your comments toward TSA in general are misplaced. Some thief and/or scumbag stole your gear. If they worked for TSA, then that's the only association. Making a generalization to the whole of TSA points to your biases. BTW, things got stolen from luggage long before TSA was around. Crime happens, don't check anything valuable. If you can't carry it on, then use some other means.

Adding TSA to the baggage handling process, and removing recourse -- except at their own whimsy -- IS adding another layer of potential for loss.

Don't be ready to accept the losses of others as foolishness on their part: checking valuable items. Nothing makes theft from luggage acceptable for airlines and security layers that actually remove security through bad-practice.

I'm all for going back to a world where people count for something, and companies treat their clients with a little bit of dignity and respect.

Please try to imagine a world that doesn't suck so much, k? :cool:

peter schrager
7-Sep-2007, 10:21
those thinktankphoto bags look awesome. I travel a lot and they look like they actually are made for that purpose!!
Best, Peter

peter schrager
7-Sep-2007, 10:22
those thinktankphoto bags look really awesome!! thanks for the link
Best, Peter

naturephoto1
7-Sep-2007, 10:31
those thinktankphoto bags look awesome. I travel a lot and they look like they actually are made for that purpose!!
Best, Peter

Hi Peter,

Yes Think Tank has really well designed quite a number of bags, backpacks, and rollers specifically with travel in mind on different sized airplanes with US and International Requirements. They have designed the bags with the assistance of many pros. Also, the President and others of the company were some of the designers for many of the Lowe Pro bags.

The Backpacks and rollers in particular are designed not to look like Camera Backpacks and Rollers. The bags are well padded with high density closed cell foam, but the foam may not be quite as thick as the Lowe Pro Bags.

Think Tank is only a couple?? of years old and they sell direct or through a small group of stores and are not represented by the likes of B&H Photo. Think Tank Photo prefers it this way and as I understand it, they are not looking to supply such large "Houses". The bags, backpacks, and rollers do not list for as much money as many of their competitors and as such are normally sold at or near list.

Rich

CG
9-Sep-2007, 13:10
Y'all said it all. I'll fly Amtrak wherever I can.

C

Rakesh Malik
28-Sep-2007, 10:38
I just managed a cross-country flight with a friend, two cats, my tripod, and my large format kit in a Think Tank roller. It worked out well, and without two cats in tow, would have been easy to manage on my own.