PDA

View Full Version : Hello to you all

uniB
9-Aug-2007, 15:17
Hi all, been having a look around the forum for a week or so and it's great!

So thought I better say hello from Sheffield in the UK

Decided I can't get any more quality out of my digital SLR so it's time to make the big leap to LF - it's all a bit scary! My Ebony RSW45 arrived today so I'm about to enter a whole new exciting world...

matthew blais
9-Aug-2007, 16:00
Hello...

From another RW45 user..

Ralph Barker
9-Aug-2007, 16:03
Welcome to the forum, and to LF.

Uri Kolet
9-Aug-2007, 16:20
Welcome from Vancouver; glad to have you here. Cheers, Uri

kevin kelly
9-Aug-2007, 16:36
Hello from Ireland.

The info you'll get here is second to none. Its a great resource.

KK

Vaughn
9-Aug-2007, 21:27
Welcome from northern California!

vaughn

Joanna Carter
9-Aug-2007, 23:44
Hello

Are you aware that we have a UK based LF group ? The UKLFPG can be found at www.lf-photo.org.uk with a discussion forum at www.lf-photo.org.uk/forum.

Being in Sheffield, you are close to several other members and would benefit from opportunities of attending sme of the informal days out that get organised between members.

Regards

Joanna

uniB
10-Aug-2007, 02:37
Thanks everyone, thanks for pointing out the UKLFPG Joanna, it looks like a useful group

Scott Davis
10-Aug-2007, 06:20
Welcome from Washington, DC !

Pete Watkins
10-Aug-2007, 10:19
Uni, If you can find your way into that U.K. group you're a better man than me. I reckon that me I.Q. is a bit low.
When you go out with your Ebony in the U.K. be prepared for complete strangers to ask a lot of bloody silly questions and ask why you don't use digital. I was at the Ironbridge Museum last year and one idiot tried to start an argment as to why I couldn't drag myself into the 21st century and get a proper camera. These events will knacker up your train of thought and you will waste lot of film by:-
A) Forgetting to remove the darkslide before taking your photograph.
B) Forgetting to close the shutter before taking the darkslide out.
C) Forgetting to stop down the lens.
D) Forgetting to cock the shutter.
Loads of other problems will arise. If they want answers to their stupid questions give them the answers that you think that they want to hear, starting with the fact that you have to visit Russia/China/Turkmanistan to personally purchase your glass plates as that is the only place on the planet where they're still made (preferably by hermits in very deep caves to keep the tempratures at the right level).
Best wishes,
Pete.

IanG
10-Aug-2007, 14:37
Uni & Pete

There's more of us from the UK here. There's a few of us there.

Ian

Joanna Carter
10-Aug-2007, 14:58
Uni, If you can find your way into that U.K. group you're a better man than me. I reckon that me I.Q. is a bit low.
Well, Uni is already signed up; what problems have you encountered trying to join Pete ?
BTW, seeing your location, you may be interested in a little jaunt we have planned for the N Staffs area; more details in our forum.

Simply Prints
10-Aug-2007, 15:25
Welcome to the forum from Tenby in Pembrokeshire UK.

Pete Watkins
11-Aug-2007, 01:35
Joanna, Thanks, something must have changed as I've just managed to join up to the U.K. group.
Best wishes,
Pete.

Joanna Carter
11-Aug-2007, 01:52
Joanna, Thanks, something must have changed as I've just managed to join up to the U.K. group.
Best wishes,
Pete.
No problem, I have just approved your application. BTW, you have used a hotmail e-mail address, something that causes us problems due to the idiots who spam-apply using such addresses. This spam can cause us to accidentally delete applicants, especially those who use obscure aliases. Not that we would delete you :)

uniB
11-Aug-2007, 09:17
Thanks for that warning Pete, I already get strange looks with a fully filter loaded SLR so I could imagine the response with a wooden contraption and a sheet over my head!
Maybe it would help if I took a polaroid of my digital camera to show them, or maybe I could juts make out I have no idea what a digital camera is and thank them for helping me into the 21st century? :)

When you go out with your Ebony in the U.K. be prepared for complete strangers to ask a lot of bloody silly questions and ask why you don't use digital. I was at the Ironbridge Museum last year and one idiot tried to start an argment as to why I couldn't drag myself into the 21st century and get a proper camera. These events will knacker up your train of thought and you will waste lot of film by:-
A) Forgetting to remove the darkslide before taking your photograph.
B) Forgetting to close the shutter before taking the darkslide out.
C) Forgetting to stop down the lens.
D) Forgetting to cock the shutter.
Loads of other problems will arise. If they want answers to their stupid questions give them the answers that you think that they want to hear, starting with the fact that you have to visit Russia/China/Turkmanistan to personally purchase your glass plates as that is the only place on the planet where they're still made (preferably by hermits in very deep caves to keep the tempratures at the right level).
Best wishes,
Pete.