PDA

View Full Version : Contemporary framing question

Kurney Ramsey
9-Aug-2007, 07:29
I have started showing some of my work in galleries and I really like the look of a photo framed to the edge with no mat. It seems a lot of the photographers in the galleries now are showing with no mats. Here's an example: http://www.flickr.com/photos/jenbee/975680031/in/set-72157601141140902/

I just wanted to know your ideas of how to do this in the safest way, without damaging prints. I have used Framespacers recently and it nicked my print with one of the edges where it was cut. I have read you can use strips of mat in the rabbet of the frame as spacers. If you could give me any pointers on this framing technique I'd greatly appreciate it or if you have any links that'd be great.

Thanks,
Kurney

Ralph Barker
9-Aug-2007, 07:50
I'm not a framing expert, Kurney, but I think one would need to examine both the set of materials to be framed (i.e. print + glass, mounted print + glass, etc.) and the suitability of the design/construction of the frame for that "package". Some frames, for example, have only a single rabbet, and seem designed for framing a painting with no glass. Others, have a separate slot for the glass or plastic, and another for the print, mounted or otherwise. The latter design would work better for what you are looking for, I'd think. Even then, there would be a risk of the print coming in contact with the glass unless it was dry mounted or otherwise affixed to a backer board of some type.

fdi
11-Aug-2007, 20:38
A mat provides two types of protection from a conservation standpoint. It acts as buffer between the glass or acrylic and the print and it acts a buffer between a wood frame and the print. Glass or acrylic is harmful to the print due to condensation that forms. If you are not using a mat you simply use a spacer between the glass and the print. Wood is naturally acidic. You can either use a metal frame or use frame sealing tape. If you are not going to use any glass or acrylic you can laminate the print to help protect it from UV light and airborne pollutants.

Cheers, Mark
Frame Destination, Inc. (http://www.framedestination.com/)