PDA

View Full Version : Using an Astronomy filter

Zach In Israel
5-Aug-2007, 11:27
Has anyone any ideas on how one could mate an astronomy filter like this one (http://www.telescope.com/shopping/product/detailmain.jsp?itemID=103&itemType=PRODUCT&iMainCat=6&iSubCat=22&iProductID=103)
To a LF lens? I'm planning a project on the milky way and this would do a lot to improve contrast.

If this wound't work a #32 minus green filter may be able to more or less do the same thing, in terms of blocking airglow.

Joseph O'Neil
5-Aug-2007, 11:38
Not sure how well this would work, as the largest filter - the 2 inch - is only 48mm, so depends on your lens size. If shooting colour film of any kind, look for a regular magenta filter - the kind used to shooting daylight film inside under artifical light, to get rid of the green cast. I find, form first hand experience, these magenta filters do very much the same job photographically as broadband skyglow filters.

joe

Zach In Israel
5-Aug-2007, 11:42
For right now I'm using a 150mm F5.6 lens, (and various 35mm and MF stuff). I would love to get my hands on a 300mm F5.6 Caltar or the like for this project. The smaller field size would work well with the milky way, and the longer focal length means that the off axis issues are reduced by a chunk as they would be cropped off the film.

Michael Heald
6-Aug-2007, 03:38
Hello! Check out Lumicon. They have sky glow filters for cameras. Best regards.

Mike

Zach In Israel
6-Aug-2007, 11:14
Hello! Check out Lumicon. They have sky glow filters for cameras. Best regards.

Mike

Thanks, I'll take a look (I even have them in my bookmarks)

Zach In Israel
6-Aug-2007, 11:44
Actually the only thing they have in larger size (that I could see) was h-alpha filters. Which may be useful but not what I am going for.