PDA

View Full Version : Got a questioni...........

spb854
2-Aug-2007, 17:50
I have a question..............

But first...............

I am a newbie to large format photography. I recently won a bid for a Pacemaker Speed Graphic camera identical to this one, but the lens was NOT included with the camera. This camera has both a focal plane shutter in the BACK and a switch for the FRONT which operates the lens shutter, from my understanding.

So....I bid on the following lens and won it off eBay. It's probably a crappy lens, but the guy I bought it from is a retired camera repairman and stated that he had cleaned and lubed the shutter and that the lens was in very good condition.

Looking at the instruction manual that I downloaded off of the South Bristol site, I see something that I do NOT see on the camera that I got.

Notice the area in the red circle. See the horizontal piece going over to the lens? I do NOT see this on my camera. I believe it's called a shutter release arm or body release arm. Compare image 1 with image 3.

Now the question...........

When moving the switch on the right side of the camera to FRONT, I notice that it causes the vertical rod on the front of the lens plate area to move up and down. From my understanding, it is suppose to trigger the shutter on the lens via the body release (which I take it to mean releasing the shutter) switch. BUT...it appears that the shutter release arm is suppose to be present to trip the shutter. Am I suppose to have a shutter/body release arm? Or is this something that comes on the lens? (I don't see them on the individual lens listed on eBay or anywhere else.)

Also I see in this picture a cylinder on the left side in front of the lens place with a hook on the top of it. What is this and what is it suppose to do? I DO have this on my camera. It appears to be hooked to the shutter.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Steve

Glenn Thoreson
2-Aug-2007, 18:05
The cylindrical object on the board is a magnetic tripper, aka a solenoid. It is used with the flash gun to trip the shutter in sync with the flash bulb delay. You seem to have flash sync built into your shutter, so the solenoid would be redundant. The little arm, or paddle, you need is pretty hard to find. The body release is a handy thing to have for hand held shooting, but not absolutely necessary. I'll look in my junk box to see if I have any of those paddles left. The lens, which I would assume is an Optar, should be a pefectly fine performer.
I'll get back to you on this.

spb854
2-Aug-2007, 19:34
Thanks SOOO much.

I'll keep my fingers crossed. I'll need to know how to attach it.

I want to use this camera mainly for studio work, BUT would like to use it when out and about if the occasion comes up.

Also.....

I have a Qflash that I like to use. I would guess that the flash sync is on the lens. The one I bought looks like it might not have one being it has the 2 prongs sticking out. I believe the prongs would some how sync to the Graflex flash which I don't have. I wish it had a PC sync on it.

Steve

Jim Jones
3-Aug-2007, 06:14
The Optar is a decent Tessar formula lens, although its coverage limits front movements. Its shutter has a switch marked M, M, F-X, Off, that syncs to electronic flash in the F-X position. Adaptors are available to use the rugged bipole flash contacts with delicate PC cords.

The missing paddle was useful for the press photography for which these cameras were popular. As Glenn noted, it was probably removed for was probably removed for more convenient use of the front shutter.

A useful on-line resource for these cameras is http://www.graflex.org/. The standard reference book is Graphic Graflex Photography by Willard D. Morgan and Henry M. Lester. The 8th edition of 1947 is the first that covers early Pacemakers with the side, not top, rangefinders. A later edition, perhaps the 10th, might cover exactly your model. These books are usually available from the many online booksellers.

spb854
3-Aug-2007, 14:23
You said, "Adaptors are available to use the rugged bipole flash contacts with delicate PC cords.
".

Where would I look and what would I ask for?

Thanks everybody,

Steve

Glenn Thoreson
3-Aug-2007, 16:18
Pull up Paramount Cords on the net and look for a Bi-post to PC cord. That will allow use of electronic flash on your shutter's X sync.
Still looking for a paddle. I know I have at least one around here somewhere.

Glenn Thoreson
3-Aug-2007, 20:10
Steve, check your messages. :)

Jim Jones
4-Aug-2007, 09:12
. . . The standard reference book is Graphic Graflex Photography by Willard D. Morgan and Henry M. Lester. The 8th edition of 1947 is the first that covers early Pacemakers with the side, not top, rangefinders. A later edition, perhaps the 10th, might cover exactly your model. These books are usually available from the many online booksellers.

Oops, the 10th edition does not cover the top rangefinder Pacemaker series. Sorry for the bum information.

spb854
4-Aug-2007, 18:48
Tis OK.

Mine is side mounted.

Steve