PDA

View Full Version : Proper action of Compound Shutter

seawolf66
1-Aug-2007, 14:08
I have two compur - compound Shutter each contain 150mm lens:
Now I do understand the primary pricipal of the shutter!
You can not set the shutter while in T or B mode otherwise it will cause damage
one only needs to use the shutter release lever for either T or B :

I believe I am correct so far!

Now my lack of understanding comes here, when I set the shutter in the 1 or 2 or 5
second setting NOW does one need to hold the shutter release lever down till after the shutter finish going off???

The reason I ask this, is Because when I set the shutter at 1 or 2 or 5 second speed
and just depress the shutter release lever and let go of it ,the shutter starts to go off but stops?? BUT when I depress the shutter lever and hold till the shutter finish , I have no problems:

Could someone clarify which is the prop-er way to fire the shutter at the 1 or 2 or 5 sec marks!!

I have reviewed over 146 threads on compound shutters but none have that answer!
even read one asking the proper use of compound shutters??

I thank you folks in advance for any responces :

Jim Galli
1-Aug-2007, 15:43
First, the picture is not of a "Compund" shutter. That's a dial set Compur. Compound shutters had the air piston for timing while this one has a gear escapement. But to answer your question, no, you shouldn't have to hold the trip down.

Ernest Purdum
1-Aug-2007, 16:42
The problem seems minor. A CLA should take care of the problem nicely should you decide to use one of these rather than your lens in the Copal.

John Kasaian
1-Aug-2007, 16:53
The dial set compurs I've gone out with are quite modest and usually respond nicely to a little attention. I agree with Ernest that a CLA would be worth while assuming that the lenses are ones you want to keep and use. I'd recommend Carol at Flutot's in Whittier, California