PDA

View Full Version : Info on Taylor Hobson 4.25" f2 and 12" f4 lenses

Dr Klaus Schmitt
31-Jul-2007, 16:40
I got these two lenses and the last one seems indeed for the Vinten F95 camera system. But about the 4.25" (108mm) f2 lens "Special Anastigmat" I could not find any info yet. On the test bench it made my hair stand up straight, so tack sharp and diffration limited, no CA visible under a 100x measurement microscope.

Any info most welcome!

Klaus

Pete Watkins
1-Aug-2007, 00:37
Taylor Hobson or Taylor, Taylor and Hobson are still going making Cooke lenses on the outskirts of the U.K. city of Leicester. I believe that their website comes under Cooke lenses. I believe that they have an archivist on the staff. Could be worth a try.
Best wishes,
Pete.

Dr Klaus Schmitt
1-Aug-2007, 01:03
Thanks Pete,

I know their site, and the history part, but there is nothing about that special lens mentioned.

Cheers, Klaus

Dan Fromm
1-Aug-2007, 04:33
Klaus, I've extracted lenses from F95 and Agiflite mounts. I don't believe that your 108/2 will go in either; it seems not to have external threads. What is its serial number?

My best guess is that it is an OPIC.

Dr Klaus Schmitt
1-Aug-2007, 07:43
Klaus, I've extracted lenses from F95 and Agiflite mounts. I don't believe that your 108/2 will go in either; it seems not to have external threads. What is its serial number?

My best guess is that it is an OPIC.

Thanks Dan,

I checked that out, but OPIC lenses have a different construction.

That mount btw. is for a Perimetar 6x6 camera (Victor Hasselblad is said to have worked their and got his idea from there...). Unfortunately there is about nothing on Perimetar either...

On the other side of the lens is a patent mentioned which I finally found. It refers to famous lens designer H W Lee who filed that in 1932. Looks like a double Gauss design to me. 35mm Motion picture work and the needed high magnifications i.e. sharp and well corrected lenses are mentioned.

The lens is single coated (blue), so certainly made after WWII, based on that (or a very similar) design.

Klaus

Dan Fromm
1-Aug-2007, 08:39
Klaus, if that's your lens it is an OPIC derivative. Most 6/4 double Gauss types have outer elements with convex outer surfaces and concave inner. I believe, will recheck, that my 4"/2 is like this. Yours differs by having the rear outer element biconvex.

I asked for the s/n because although TTH began coating during WWII some older lenses were coated long after they'd left the factory. For this reason that a lens is coated isn't good information about when and old crock of a lens (in your case, a good old crock) was made. What, pray, is your lens' serial number?

Dr Klaus Schmitt
1-Aug-2007, 09:35
Klaus, if that's your lens it is an OPIC derivative. Most 6/4 double Gauss types have outer elements with convex outer surfaces and concave inner. I believe, will recheck, that my 4"/2 is like this. Yours differs by having the rear outer element biconvex.

I asked for the s/n because although TTH began coating during WWII some older lenses were coated long after they'd left the factory. For this reason that a lens is coated isn't good information about when and old crock of a lens (in your case, a good old crock) was made. What, pray, is your lens' serial number?

Dan,

my lens' serial number is 235026 [the #26 made of that series, I have been informed by the seller (a private auction house), that there have been 30 made]

Cheers, Klaus

Dan Fromm
1-Aug-2007, 10:34
Klaus, thanks for the s/n. The VM's sketchy TTH chronology places it in the late 1930s, probably before 1939. P-H Pont's does roughly the same. It can't have been coated when made.

Dr Klaus Schmitt
1-Aug-2007, 16:47
Quite strange, I wonder who took it apart and re-coated it then. Must have been in the 50ies since it seems to single coated and a sensitive coating.