PDA

View Full Version : Ilford Selenium toner vs KRST?

Philippe Gauthier
31-Jul-2007, 06:09
The new Ilford selenium toner has just arrived on the shelves of my favourite photo shop. Looks intriguing, but there is little info in the box and Ilford's web site doesn't say much either.

So, what are the practical differences between IST and KRST? Does IST contain any thiosulfates and other such chemicals? Which product is the most concentrated? Do you believe I could eventually replenish my KRST working solution with IST? Any other practical differences?

matthew blais
31-Jul-2007, 06:15
I think a few on APUG have tried it. I'd recommend sending Simon Galley an email and ask him
simon.galley@harmantechnology.com

Ralph Barker
31-Jul-2007, 07:26
Or, you could contact Ilford tech support:

ILFORD PHOTO, 18766 John J Williams Hwy, Suite 4 - 327, Rehoboth Beach, DE 19971, USA Toll free voicemail & Fax 1-888-372-2338 e-mail contact (http://www.ilfordphoto.com/contactform.asp)

evan clarke
31-Jul-2007, 07:28
My favorite paper is Ilford WT FB which I develop in a cool tone Ansco 130 derivative for a very nice color. I have been using the Ilford selenium and find that it can kick the dark midtones over to a brown/bronze color and the KRST doesn't. I have gone back to the KRST..Evan Clarke

Philippe Gauthier
31-Jul-2007, 07:41
My favorite paper is Ilford WT FB which I develop in a cool tone Ansco 130 derivative for a very nice color. I have been using the Ilford selenium and find that it can kick the dark midtones over to a brown/bronze color and the KRST doesn't. I have gone back to the KRST..Evan Clarke

I've tried a few odd things, but I never developped a warm tone paper in a cold tone soup! :)

Interesting observation, this color shift. I've been doing some split toning recently, and intend to do more, and I use a short (very partial) selenium toning precisely to protect the deepest blacks (the rest takes lovely purple brownish tones in my relatively cold home brewed sepia toner). The bottom line is that I want to keep my blacks very dark (slightly warm or cold is OK) when I use selenium.

George Hart
31-Jul-2007, 08:18
When I was at the Ilford open day in June, Simon Galley said that the 2 toners are, for all practical purposes, identical.

Eric Biggerstaff
31-Jul-2007, 10:26
I use Ilford Warmtone FB with both the Ilford toner and KRST and notice no difference.