PDA

View Full Version : jobo 3005 and un-fixed portion

Jordan
30-Jul-2007, 18:22
I just processed my first batches of 8x10 tonight in the jobo 3005. I was getting a weird, un-fixed stain towards the top middle of my negs. This stain came out with some more fix in a tray, however it may result in some uneveness. I was leaving the film up towards the tops of the tubes as I do with 4x5 and the 3010 drum, should it be shoved to the bottom of the 3005? Please help. I went so nuts that I went out after 2 batches, made another holder's worth of pictures and had the same trouble.

Ben Hopson
30-Jul-2007, 18:51
Never had that happen in the 3005, knock on wood. Is the drum level when you process? Make sure you have enough fixer volumn in the tank.

Ben

Ed Richards
30-Jul-2007, 19:09
You should shove the film to the bottom in all of the drums. As Ben says, how much fixer did you use? Based on the minimum levels for the 4x5 tank, I would assume it should be at least 500 ml, maybe more.

Jordan
30-Jul-2007, 20:59
I think it does have something to do with me not having the film far enough to the bottom. It may be that I'm not using enough chemistry either. Jobo says 270ml per sheet and I am using 300ml per sheet though.

Ed K.
30-Jul-2007, 22:08
On the 8x10 tank, I always shove it to the bottom (not like the 4x5 tank). I use 500ml of film dilution rapid fix as a one shot with 4-5 sheets in the drum at a time. I have never had any problems whatsoever with fixing this way, and the motor turns fine.

Hmmm, any of these?

1. processor not level, not enough solution
2. old fixer, incorrect dilution?
3. film not loaded emulsion toward center of tank?
4. crooked load or slipped film during process, part of sheet overlapping?
5. incompatibility between acid process and non acid process chemicals?
6. too much solution / too slow rotation of tank?

The film will shift around in there while processing. If it's not all the
way down on the 8x10 tank, it could end up overlapping (edge of one sheet).

Using too much solution is hard on the motor, and if carried to extreme, will
prevent it from turning at its normal speed - of course, probably damaging
that nifty Jobo motor over time too. If you have an early model Jobo that
was not really designed for 3000 series drums, it could also barely be
turning. The Jobo switches directions about every 2-3 seconds at the "P"
setting - pretty brisk. If it's crawling along, that could be trouble.