PDA

View Full Version : Anybody using 510 Pyro?

lungovw
30-Jul-2007, 15:00
Hello,

I am using 510 Pyro for one year now. Results are very good but I see that I am using times and temperatures much higher than the ones people have mentioned in forums. I dilute 1/100 and have used 23 C about 12 minutes for FOMA ASA 100 films 4x5 developed in a vintage glass 10x15 cm tray that I agitate a bit every 30 s. I use 100ml of working solution and develop one sheet at a time (I am not professional so quantities are manageable one by one). Could that be a problem with the film? When I started with 510 Pyro I think it was not that hot nor that long. As it is still my first batch of concentrate I wonder if it is expiring (although people also say that it is an "unexpirable" developer). Any similar experiences out there?

Thanks

Wagner Lungov

j.e.simmons
31-Jul-2007, 09:29
There do not yet seem to be a lot of 510 Pyro users. I mixed a batch months ago, but have had very little time to try it. What little testing I did seemed to also indicated longer processing than other folks reported. I'm also developing at higher temperatures - about 25-27C.

If you are getting results you like, don't worry about what other folks say.
juan

Michael Kadillak
1-Aug-2007, 08:02
Never had any reason to try this pyro formulation simply because there are many other pyro developers that have a much higher degree of credibility and pool of users to fall back upon. Wemberleys W2D2, Pyrocat and ABC just to name a few.

Cheers!

john bond
2-Aug-2007, 09:32
I have been using 510 pyro for over a year myself and am very pleased with it. HP5, FP4 and Tmax 100 are the films that I have used. I have also noted that development times for variable contrast paper are longer than other published results-7.5 to 8 minutes for HP5 for example. Printing on graded paper at these times, however, will give way too much contrast and the published times of around 6.5 min seem more appropriate for this. So, I think one has to plan on what type of paper is going to be used to determine the correct developing time. Semi stand development also seems to work well- 1:500 for 45 min to an hour with three gentle agitations. This prints easily on variable contrast paper and seems to require much less burning and dodging especially with out door photographs with a large S/B range. I still have some of my first batch from over a year ago and cannot tell that the quality has changed at all. It seems a shame that interest has declined since Jay Defehr stopped promoting this. I think this is an interesting developer worthy of further experimentation.