PDA

View Full Version : 8x10 b+w film developing at home

Jonathan Simmons
8-Jul-2000, 22:59
I would like to develop 8x10 film at home, in my apartment bathroom. I am conce rned about fumes, as we have a young child in the house. We have a window that I could put a fan into in the bathroom. Does anyone have any suggestions about how to do this safely? Any feedback would be welcome. Thanks

Michael Wellman
9-Jul-2000, 00:13
The two most noxious smells come from the stop bath and fixer. My suggestion is to do what I do. Use a water rinse instead of stop bath and use an ordorless fixer. I get mine from 'The Formulary'. Not sure who else makes one. If you do this and just keep the fan on in the bathroom you should be fine. How are you planning to develop your 8x10 negatives?

Erik Ryberg
9-Jul-2000, 00:29
It helps a lot to use an enclosed developing system like a Unicolor tank instead of sloshing around in open tanks or trays. Also keeps the spills down. Get a good funnel.

pat krentz
9-Jul-2000, 02:32
Since you are doing this in your bathroom, which is where I first started doing it, you will need to block the bottom of the door with a towel to make it light tight,and maybe some weather stripping fro the door jam, you will have to block the window to make it light tight, once you are light tight you will be fume proof as far as the rest of the house goes, I was never bothered by the fumes, but it they get to you, you will have to remove your light seal from the window and get some air and reseal and start again, I think we are talking about 30 min. start to finish. Pat Pat

David A. Goldfarb
9-Jul-2000, 12:01
Clayton Chemicals lists odorless fixer and stop bath in their brochures, but I haven't tried them yet myself.

William Marderness
9-Jul-2000, 14:29
This fixer does not smell at all, and should not be used with stop bath.

TF-2, to make 1 liter Sodium thiosulfate 250g Sodium sulfite 15g Sodium metaborate 10g

Brian Ellis
9-Jul-2000, 16:22
I use Clayton odorless stop bath and Sprint odorless fixer. I believe Clayton sells an odorless fixer and Sprint sells a stop bath that smells like vanilla extract and maybe they make a completely odorless one too. I buy Clayton chemicals from The View Camera Store (formerly Darkroom Innovations) and Sprint chemicals from B&H.

Guillaume Zuili
11-Jul-2000, 10:44
JOBO CPP2 is perfect.First, drums for 8x10 are the easiest way to process these sheets (amazing), secondly, you put your chemicals in bottles and you use them at last moment. No stink, no fume, and everything is at temperature When you go for JOBO, you never come back !

Jim Chinn
12-Jul-2000, 01:17
I agree with the previous responses concerning the use of tubes for processing. You can accomplish this a couple of ways. If you are serious about processing your own negs and probably contact prints, purchase a JOBO processor. They allo w for daylight processing once the drum is loaded, agitation is automated and wi th the use of the drum lift, changing chemicals is easy with no mess. I purchas ed a used CPE2 with lift about 3 years ago and use it for all my film processing . Once you figure out your personal times and dilutions for your film, you will find the consistency of your negs well worth the cost. You use less chemistry, minimal smell, temperture of chemistry is controlled and it takes up a much sma ller space then trays. Check B&H in Shutterbug Mag for new costs and check used sections of different retailers in Shutterbug or on E-Bay for used.