PDA

View Full Version : Need help to buy $x5 Field camera

swaroop_majumder
26-Jul-2007, 03:15
Guys I love landscape photography and planning to buy a 4X5 field camera.I have found a wooden one manifactured by Korona Gundlach(manufacturer from manhattan
).This camera was manufactured in early 20th century.The bellows is fine and has no light leaks.Do these old cameras usually work properly.Are the mechanics of the camera good?All suggestions are welcome as I have never photographed LF.PLz Help!!!!

Ash
26-Jul-2007, 03:34
I have a Korona 4x5.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y43/second-belated/DSC00537.jpg

I love it, and it is a very light and capable camera. If you buy it, make sure the price is right for you, and the camera is in good shape.

The camera will work fine, it's only a few pieces of wood, leather, and glass. To make them work properly YOU need to use them properly. :)

Ted Harris
26-Jul-2007, 07:15
Ash is basically right but it is a bit more complicated than that. You do need to be sure that everything is properly aligned, especially the gound glass and the lensboard/front standard and the space where the film holder fits ... those sorts of things.

If the price is right (e.g. a few hundred dollars in the US) then you can't go wrong and Richard Ritter canfix anything that is out of alignment or needs fixing.

John Kasaian
26-Jul-2007, 07:44
IMHO it is a very capable wooden field camera. If the condition you claim is accurate, what price is being asked? Is it fair? Since you're after a "user" camera, what are the savings you'll enjoy over a new Tachi or Shen? What items will be included in the deal(a lensboard? Any film holders?)

C. D. Keth
2-Aug-2007, 22:35
I learned on a 5x7 version. I kind of miss that camera, actually.

FWIW, Gundlach was in Rochester, not Manhattan. Just about everything photographic was in Rochester until it all started going to Japan.

Jim Grimes
3-Aug-2007, 10:36
I have a 70+ year old Kodak 2D 5x7 and it is a wonderfil camera. It's all in the lens, so to speak.