PDA

View Full Version : Really OLD Schneider lenses

Rider
24-Jul-2007, 20:08
I mean not just pre-War, but going back to the 1920s: how do you find information on them? Schneider's website has some 1938 catalogues, but I did not see older ones.

Kirk Fry
24-Jul-2007, 21:05
Urban legend has it that Schneider didn't really figure out how to make quality lenses until after the war. (II)

KF

Ole Tjugen
25-Jul-2007, 00:01
You'll have to turn to books. Old, dusty books. :)

Rider
25-Jul-2007, 06:19
Will any old dusty book do? I have a pretty beat up copy of The Scarlet Pimpernel.

Michael Jones
25-Jul-2007, 06:59
Urban legend has it that Schneider didn't really figure out how to make quality lenses until after the war. (II)

KF

I have yet to find "urban legends' equating to reality, and that has not been my experience with older lenses. You should try their dopple anastigmats; equal to any dagor. I haven't found Schneider to any more duds than any other manufacturer.

Mike

Michael Jones
25-Jul-2007, 07:03
Will any old dusty book do? I have a pretty beat up copy of The Scarlet Pimpernel.

Too old. Schneider didn't begin operations until 1912. I didn't find anything earlier than 1938 either.

The Vede Mecum of lenses or Kingslake's books are on eBay (sometimes as much as $15!) in you are really interested or perhaps your library. Hang tight, someone with either may yet respond.

Mike

Ernest Purdum
25-Jul-2007, 10:29
In early years, Schneider had nothing like the position they have built up since the WWII period. Most of their lenses were supplied to makers of the less expensive German plate cameras rather than sold directly to individuals, and were variations of someone elses basic design.

Ole Tjugen
26-Jul-2007, 08:00
Schneider started as an industrial-scale manufacturer of cheap lenses for cheap cameras. The first years the Radionar and Isconar triplets dominated. It was only with the design of the Angulon that Schneider became a lens maker to be reconed with. Incidentally they were so proud of the new design that it was the basis for the company logo until recently!

There is one document older than 1938 that I know of - "25 Jahre in Dienst der Photographie" or something like that, 1937. But there's very little useful information in it.

I have some information on some of the early lenses in some of my dusty old books - 500km from where I am at the moment. :(

Rider
26-Jul-2007, 08:23
Thanks for all of the information. I'll be shooting with an early (1920s) 360mm tele-xenar and can post some samples in August if anyone is interested.

seawolf66
27-Jul-2007, 17:25
Rider: try this web site [ http://www.cameraeccentric.com] enjoy your reading: