PDA

View Full Version : New York + Washington - 5+4 Days...

SAShruby
24-Jul-2007, 11:57
I'm spending 5 days in Manhattan in September and 4 days in Washington as well.
Besides trying to see the best out of it, I'd like to see some photo galleries or exhibitions.

Any recommendations? On top of if, can you share with me some good places to see, go, visit? Some good Jazz in Manhattan?

Thanks.

paulr
24-Jul-2007, 12:09
I'm embarassingly out of the loop on what's going on right now (been doing more traveling and working than going out). If the Steven Shore exhibit is still going on at the ICP, it should be worth a visit.

There's always good jazz. I'd look first to the more underground clubs like the Knitting factory and the 55 Bar; the famous places like the Vanguard and Blue Note still have great music, but it tends to be the kinds of mighty famous people you can see on tour anywhere, and the prices are high (on the weekends they can be Rich Japanese Tourist high).

Time Out New York and the Village Voice online are good sources for what's going on.

If you have any kinds of food preferences I might be able to point you to a few places.

SAShruby
24-Jul-2007, 12:37
Thanks Paul,

I will look into it. With respect to a cuisine I'd like Italian, Asian, French, even English. If you know some good reasonably priced breakfast places it would be great...

SAShruby
24-Jul-2007, 12:40
There's always good jazz. I'd look first to the more underground clubs like the Knitting factory and the 55 Bar;

Paul,

Do I have to make a reservation? I have no idea how much is one drink, beer?

Thanks.

David A. Goldfarb
24-Jul-2007, 12:49
Also check out the Iridium and Birdland for jazz, in addition to the places Paul mentions.

For general listings of what's going on, photo and musicwise, just pick up _The Village Voice_, which is free locally. You can check the listings in advance online at www.villagevoice.com.

There's good food everywhere. You might pick up a Zagat's guide to see what the range is.

On of my favorite Asian restaurants in the city is Cendrillon on Mercer St. in Soho, which offers filipino-fusion cuisine (www.cendrillon.com).

For breakfast, I recommend the Nova special at Zabar's on the Upper West Side--lox, cream cheese, and bagel with a coffee and fresh squeezed orange juice for about $5-6. Get it to go and eat it in Central Park (walk East) or Riverside Park at the 79th St. Boat Basin (walk west). Around the city there's also a good chain called Le Pain Quotidien, which is good for breakfast or a light lunch.

Scott Davis
24-Jul-2007, 12:56
Peter- for Washington DC, I can give lots of advice. The new National Portrait Gallery/Museum of American Art always has some photography on display - check out their website - http://www.npg.si.edu/ . The National Gallery of Art also now has a permanent photo exhibition space, with rotating shows from their own collection as well as travelling shows. Depending on your schedule, I can round up some of the local LF folks and we can take you out on a shoot if you have time. Food-wise, if you like Thai, either Rice or Simply Home (same owner, different menus) are the best Thai food in DC - http://www.simplyhomedc.com/ . There's a number of cool jazz clubs here in DC also, along the U Street corridor- The Bohemian Caverns and Bar Nun, among others. http://www.bohemiancaverns.com/
http://www.dcbarnun.com/
If neither of those tickle your fancy, there are a half-dozen others along U Street you can just check out walking around.
Another funky neighborhood place with all kinds of performances and halfway decent food is Busboys and Poets - http://www.busboysandpoets.com/
For good Latin food, Lauriol Plaza on 18th Street is good, and for something a little different- (asian-latin fusion) Merkado on P Street, between 14th and 15th.

Almost everything I mention is within walking distance of the U Street/Cardozo metro stop (Green/Yellow lines). There are also a number of galleries up and down 14th Street between Logan Circle and U Street. Vastu (furniture store) usually has some photography for sale. Transformer (on P, next to the WholeFoods between 14th and 15th), Plan B (14th & Corcoran+/-) also often have photography. On 17th, Meat Market Gallery always has something interesting going on, even if it isn't photography. Kathleen Ewing has moved recently and I don't know where she went, but she's probably the premier photography gallerist in DC.

Down around the museums (7th-9th between D and H streets - the Gallery Place/Chinatown/Verizon Center station on the Green/Yellow/Red lines) there are also a bunch of neat restaurants. Jaleo is good for Tapas, there's a couple of decent and cheap Chinese places left in Chinatown, but it's mostly a joke as far as the Chinatown part goes.

SAShruby
24-Jul-2007, 13:12
I'm in New York from Sun Sep 23rd till Fri Sep 28th in Americana Inn, leaving to Washingtom via Amtrak and staying till Oct-2nd in Adams Inn.

Scott and Dave, thank you for your recommendation, I'll definitely try out at least one spot.

If you guys like jazz or wanna meet we can probably get together one evening to have a few-several-many beers or drinks :D , just one possibility, my mom is going with me so she might probably come with me to see you, if you don't mind. She doesn't speak Inglese, little bit but she loves jazz :)...

I wish It would be a shooting trip, unfortunately it's not. First I want to see New York and Washington as much as I can, and when I come over there second time, It would be definitely a shoot trip, you can bet on it.

But I'm in for jazz and drinks. Cheers.;)

Scott Davis
24-Jul-2007, 13:26
Peter- no problem. Bring along a little camera at least- there will be lots of images you'll regret not trying out if you don't. A bit closer to the time, remind me and we'll schedule something.

Louie Powell
24-Jul-2007, 13:28
Peter -

prior to your trip, check this web site: http://www.photography-guide.com/

Note that the galleries are on their summer schedule. The fall season in NY will be starting around the time you visit, so you want to check the site for last minute changes just before you travel.

Once in New York, you can purchase a directory called "Photograph" at most galleries. It contains the same information as the web site, but it also includes maps identifying the locations of the galleries and the closest subway stations.

SAShruby
24-Jul-2007, 13:54
Peter- no problem. Bring along a little camera at least- there will be lots of images you'll regret not trying out if you don't. A bit closer to the time, remind me and we'll schedule something.

I wish I have a 4x5...:D Only 8x10 and 8x20 :p

But I will bring my, psssst, digital, don't tell anyone...:eek:

SAShruby
24-Jul-2007, 13:56
Peter -

prior to your trip, check this web site: http://www.photography-guide.com/

Note that the galleries are on their summer schedule. The fall season in NY will be starting around the time you visit, so you want to check the site for last minute changes just before you travel.

Once in New York, you can purchase a directory called "Photograph" at most galleries. It contains the same information as the web site, but it also includes maps identifying the locations of the galleries and the closest subway stations.

Louie, will do.