PDA

View Full Version : Lens boards on ebay?

G Benaim
23-Jul-2007, 21:32
Hi all,

I seem to remember a guy on ebay who made wood lensboards to order, but can't find him. Has anyone ordered lb's on ebay or elsewhere and was satisfied w the result? Thanks.

Walter Calahan
24-Jul-2007, 05:09
Wood lens boards are very easy to make.

All you need is think modeling plywood, a couple of spring clamps, wood glue and access to a table top drill press.

If there's a 'Michael's' near where you live, check out their modeling wood. They sell wood in 1/8", 1/4", and 1/2" thicknesses. If you don't have a drill press, contact a local technical school shop teacher to see if theirs can be made available. Lowe's and Home Despot sell inexpensive table top drill presses if you want to spring the bucks.

Brian Ellis
24-Jul-2007, 06:49
There's a guy named Stephen Shuart who makes or made very nice wood boards. I don't know whether he's on ebay or not but I bought several from him years ago that were very nice and reasonably priced. He was out of business for a few years but a few months ago I saw something from him indicating he was back in business. If you Google on his name you should be able to find him if he's back in business.

Jason Greenberg Motamedi
24-Jul-2007, 07:13
I bought two 6" Deardorff boards from Doug Theall (http://www.best-lensboards.com/) off eBay, and then a few more directly. They were ok although not perfect. As always, you get what you pay for, and I paid $25 per board...

Rider
24-Jul-2007, 07:15
you might be referring to oaklandlenscom. His email address is jorgeamoreno2003@comcast.net.

Scott --
24-Jul-2007, 07:49
I've made some for people here. Mostly three-piece boards so far, mahogany and cherry. They've all been custom to fit. PM me if you want to discuss.

Scott

Dan Schmidt
24-Jul-2007, 08:40
I have had these guys make Aluminum (anodized black) lensboards for me

http://www.frontpanelexpress.com/

you download their CAD software, draw it up, and upload your file.

Pricing is not cheap , but far less expensive than having a traditional machine shop do it, and becuase of the nature of their buisiness they are set up to engrave things like "copal 3" or "betax 5" on the boards.

Kevin Crisp
24-Jul-2007, 09:19
I ordered some of the wooden boards routinely advertised on eBay, for a Deardorff. The finish didn't look as good at the one in the auction. The interior size (baffle) was not the right size compared with real DD boards. The relief was much wider compared to a real DD board, so they did fit the camera. Every board required some reworking, minor, like sanding an edge or two to get it to fit the front standard. The holes and the relief on the inside of the hole were well done. So...they aren't perfect, they required (for me) some work, but they are light tight and usable at a price that is reasonable for what you get.