PDA

View Full Version : Info and opinions on Tele Xenar 270 in compound

Rider
21-Jul-2007, 05:28
I was wondering if anyone had lens specs on the Tele Xenar 270 or any anecdotal info. Correction: the shutter I believe is Compur.

Nick_3536
21-Jul-2007, 07:49
Most Scheinder info is on their website. Just look under the vintage info.

http://www.schneideroptics.com/info/vintage_lens_data/large_format_lenses/tele-xenar/data/Tele_Xenar_1938_Leaflet.pdf

Looks like the 270 is the 10". A 3x4 lens?

Rider
21-Jul-2007, 08:07
Thanks Nick; it looks like my buyer's remorse is justified, and I haven't even paid for it. Hope the seller doesn't mind.

Is that Compur shutter of any use for a other lenses? It seems to be size II.

Ole Tjugen
21-Jul-2007, 08:31
Nick,

why on earth did you start with a 1938 leaflet?

Try the 1956 one, and you'll see that the 270mm f:5.5 Tele-Xenar was made for 9x12cm film, as was the 240mm. It's quite usable on 4x5".

http://www.schneiderkreuznach.com/archiv/pdf/tele_obj_56.pdf

The shutter is a II/5/2, which is the same as the 240mm f:5.6 Symmar convertible, the 165mm f:6.8 Angulon, and several other lenses.

Rider
21-Jul-2007, 08:36
Now I am a little bit confused. Let's say it's usable on 4x5, what is this lens worth with a working shutter?

Ole, what is the lensboard opening for this shutter?

Ole Tjugen
21-Jul-2007, 09:23
One important question is whether your lens is pre- or post-WWII. as easy way to tell is that the post-WWII are coated; pre- are not.

The necessary lensboard opening depends on whether you have a mounting ring or a mounting flange. The flange needs one mm more than the ring!

Late Compur II have a 50mm mount thread, so 53mm should do for a hole. for full specifications see the thread with the post linked to in my signature. :)

Nick_3536
21-Jul-2007, 09:57
Nick,

why on earth did you start with a 1938 leaflet?

It was the one I found :D

But aren't those the same specs in both documents? It's just they are now claiming 170mm image circle is big enough for 9x12 when before they had it listed for the 3x4". Which I guess makes a little sense. The US document lists the US size of 3x4".

Nick_3536
21-Jul-2007, 09:59
Now I am a little bit confused. Let's say it's usable on 4x5, what is this lens worth with a working shutter?

What do you intend to use it for? If it's closer then infinity [portrait ] then you'll gain coverage.

Rider
21-Jul-2007, 10:00
I thought the shutters in your signature were Compound, not Compur.

Is there another way to tell whether it's pre or post WWII?

Did the coverage change (Nick's 1930's manual seemed to indicate less coverage).

One important question is whether your lens is pre- or post-WWII. as easy way to tell is that the post-WWII are coated; pre- are not.

The necessary lensboard opening depends on whether you have a mounting ring or a mounting flange. The flange needs one mm more than the ring!

Late Compur II have a 50mm mount thread, so 53mm should do for a hole. for full specifications see the thread with the post linked to in my signature. :)

Ole Tjugen
21-Jul-2007, 10:25
Yes, the coverage changed - which is why the age is important.

Also the 1938 leaflet refers to 4 3/4"x 3 9/15", which is a rather poor translation of 9x12cm. If you look a bit further down, you will find that the 270mm is recommended for 10x15cm too - which is quite a bit larger than 4x5".

By 1956 Schneider seems to have realised that Americans use different film sizes than Germans did, and changed the recommendations to something more readable. :)

The post linked to in my signature states the dimensions of Compound shutters, but a few posts later in the same thread I list the specifications for Compur #2 shutters.

Rider
21-Jul-2007, 12:26
Ok, if I know the serial number, will that tell me the age and whether it's coated?

Ole Tjugen
21-Jul-2007, 12:37
Yes. (http://www.schneideroptics.com/info/age_of_lenses/index.htm)
Ok, if I know the serial number, will that tell me the age and whether it's coated?

Rider
21-Jul-2007, 14:12
If I find out it's coated, I have to decide whether to keep it. Thanks for all the help.

Rider
22-Jul-2007, 13:34
What do you intend to use it for? If it's closer then infinity [portrait ] then you'll gain coverage.

I want to use it for both portraits and landscapes, mostly on a Speedgraphic.

Patrik Roseen
22-Jul-2007, 15:51
Hello, I have an older tele-xenar 270mm in a compur shutter that I won on ebay for 38 USD. It does cover 4x5 in my opinion. It is a nice lens.
PS. I have posted an image from it in a previous thread about 'pull or push' processing. If you scan through my posts you will find it. The picture is actually a bit soft in the outer areas ...so maybe I need to correct myself. It was taken at f11 if I remember correctly.