PDA

View Full Version : Cable release suggestion for a Betax 5?

J_Tardiff
20-Jul-2007, 18:00
Hi all,

Just took delivery of a 12" Wollensak Series II Velostigmat in a Betax 5 shutter. It's in lovely shape -- *now* I understand all the comments about whether or not one's 4x5 can "handle" such a big lens. Some piece of glass.

In any case, it has a self-cocking shutter and I know that my zeroth-order cable releases will not do the trick, from my reading it seems that the shutter requires a long-throw release.

Any of you folks who use these older large shutters have any specific suggestions? I know that both Linhof and Gepe make sturdy releases that may fit the bill.

Much appreciated,

JT

Toyon
20-Jul-2007, 18:49
I don't think any modern manufacturer makes one. Find a camera store that still has a box of old cable releases and sort through them for a long-throw one. Or else feebay for an old one.

John Kasaian
20-Jul-2007, 20:01
Gepe Professional cable releases will trip my Betax and Universals---it has the longest throw of any modern cable release I've tested so far. The trick with the Betax is you have to screw them in deeper than you'd think.

Glenn Thoreson
20-Jul-2007, 21:00
I think B&H has long throw cable releases. I buy used cables in lots, when I can find them cheap. I am surprised that a lot of these old ones are long throw. Of course, if you were depending on finding one...........:(

Matt Miller
21-Jul-2007, 05:36
I use this same lens/shutter on 5x7 and really like it. I have a newer style cable release (don't know which brand) that works fine with it.

J_Tardiff
21-Jul-2007, 06:30
Right-- the Gepe professional was the one I had heard mentioned in the past, and I'm pretty sure that B&H has them. Sounds like a good excuse to head to Manhattan tomorrow. Thanks for the heads-up on screwing it in tighter. Actually reminds me that since I'm going away for 3 weeks out West better pick up an extra release or two..

I'll try one of my existing releases -- most of the camera gear is at work for cleaning. I was pretty frustrated when I realized I couldn't even give it a try.

This lens is going on my "beater" 5x7 B&J -- would love to get some portraits done with it before I spend the winter restoring it. I must say that I am amazed with this shutter -- I don't even want to guess how old it is and the timing sounds awfully good to my ear. I'm going to "check" it by shooting some film at different speeds just to get an idea of where it falls. Shouldn't be an issue given that this will end up being a focused use camera-- probably all portrait. My main "worry" is that I will become entranced with 5x7 :rolleyes: .

Thanks!

JT

David A. Goldfarb
21-Jul-2007, 07:40
It's also the case that with these old shutters the trip lever inside can migrate over time, requiring a progressively longer and longer throw. If the shutter is in proper adjustment, it won't necessarily require a long-throw cable release, or at least that's what I've found with Ilex #5 shutters.

J_Tardiff
21-Jul-2007, 11:54
It's also the case that with these old shutters the trip lever inside can migrate over time, requiring a progressively longer and longer throw. If the shutter is in proper adjustment, it won't necessarily require a long-throw cable release, or at least that's what I've found with Ilex #5 shutters.

I just tried the shutter out with one of my standard releases and it fired without difficulty, looks like I lucked out on this one. These old mechanical shutters are something!

JT