PDA

View Full Version : Ebony 4x10

Collin Orthner
20-Jul-2007, 16:06
Just noticed a new 4x10 camera on the Ebony (http://www.ebonycamera.com/cam.html) site.

Nick_3536
20-Jul-2007, 16:16
I'm afraid to ask how much. Is the weight a little high for a pure 4x10?

Brian Vuillemenot
20-Jul-2007, 16:54
Sweet! Now that's a camera to drool over... It is only in the non-folding design, though- perhaps they will come out with a folding one in the future. It also doesn't have much bellows extension- only 74 to 360 mm. The 450 is my favorite lens in 4X10, which wouldn't be usable on this camera. It is also quite a bit heavier than most of the other available 4X10s, and I'm going to speculate probably more expensive as well. Nice to see another 4X10 camera available out there, though!

Keith Pitman
20-Jul-2007, 20:38
Sweet! Now that's a camera to drool over... It is only in the non-folding design, though- perhaps they will come out with a folding one in the future. It also doesn't have much bellows extension- only 74 to 360 mm. The 450 is my favorite lens in 4X10, which wouldn't be usable on this camera. It is also quite a bit heavier than most of the other available 4X10s, and I'm going to speculate probably more expensive as well. Nice to see another 4X10 camera available out there, though!

Brian,

You could use a "top hat" lensboard extension for longer lenses.

Agree with all, this Ebony looks very interesting. Anyone have a notion of the price. Also, what film holder will they use?

George Hart
21-Jul-2007, 10:38
This piece looks to be the nicest to come from the Ebony stable in recent times. It looks superbly solid and stable. The front standard proportions are like those of a fireplace (that's UK speak, don't know the US equivalent…), and just as worthy of being the focus of attention. The 4x10 format is a superb aspect ratio, though I find the size to be a bit small for contacts—maybe I'm hankering after Ebony to design an 8x20! I have no connections with this company, other than owning a couple of their cameras, but I should just like to say that I think that they have a masterpiece in this specimen.

ChadLanc
23-Jul-2007, 10:45
hello everyone

as you may know ebony will custom make you just about anything you want. I had them make me the SW410E to fit canham style 4x10 holders. It took about 5 months to come but was well worth the wait. I got it a week ago but have yet to cut some film and get it going. Hiromi put some new features in it and its simply amazing. I told them when it arrived I felt like It needed a glass box and a security guard. As for the price it was not that expensive for what I got. Sure it was expensive but I wanted a workhorse that would last me forever. I can't wait to get out and start shooting.

http://www.chadlancaster.com

ChadLanc
24-Jul-2007, 23:11
the 4x10 was custom made for me by the wonderful people there at ebony. I wanted a camera that was functional and well made. Ebony far exceeded everything I asked for in a 4x10, When i received the camera I sent them an email joking around saying I needed to invest in a glass case and a security guard. its beautiful! I know your all dieing to know the price, and as it was expensive..it wasent anything more than I would have expected to pay for one of the best view cameras in the world. It takes canham style 4x10 film holders. They added some new design features and I can't wait to get out there and use it. to answer george harts question, ebony will make you anything you want. Im sure they would love the challenge of an 8x20. Ian Wilson is their contact person and he can be reached at igbwilson@yahoo.com
if anyone does order any ebony camera, order through badger graphic..jeff is the best guy ever.

Doug Dolde
25-Jul-2007, 12:48
OK I'll bite....how much ?

John Brady
26-Jul-2007, 06:43
Chad, Ebony's information on this camera lists the 72xl as a usable lens on this camera. Looking at schneider's lens coverage sheet it doesn't look like it will span the full ten inches. Have you done any research on this? I would be very interested in this gem if I could use my 72 on it. I have the non folding 45su that I use down to a 47xl on. I love my Ebony and I love super wide angle, this camera would be lots of fun shooting super wide pano's.

Also how long did it take from the time you ordered until you received? Have they put this camera into production, or is it custom order only??? Sory so many questions...

ChadLanc
26-Jul-2007, 09:55
The widest lens I'll probably use is the 110, I've read that its about the widest for 8x10 that will cover. All the cameras on their website that have a "c" next to it are only custom order cameras. It took about 5 months to get the camera after I ordered it. It took that long because he had never made a 4x10 before. So im sure it would be a lot less the second time around.

the lenses i have are the 150 and 305g and ill be adding the 110 and mabe the 210 soon. I had hiromi make the camera to hold canham style holders but he can make it fit any holder if you have the specs

Doug Dolde
2-Aug-2007, 10:28
Per Jeff@Badger: SW410 is $4795, SW410E is $5695