PDA

View Full Version : Rant, really!!

gari beet
19-Jul-2007, 13:31
Over the past week or so I have had a light leak in several holders when I have processed the sheets, the holder/s are leaking in the corner opposite the notch, bottom left when viewed as portrait on a lightbox, I guess they must be leaking through the slide seal.

I seperated out the suspects and went away on a short trip with a dozen others. Well I have just processed the sheets this eve, yeh you guessed, same deal.

How on Earth can I have the same leak, same place at the same time?
They all seem to have developed this problem in the last few weeks as my chromes from a few weeks ago were fine!!!!

I have just made the decision to go to QL but I still have a few boxes of sheets to finish off, I dont want to run the risk of ruining the remaining boxes but not sure I want to get new holders...

I shot with the darkcloth over the holders as a precaution but to no avail it seems!

I have some out of date film which I am gonna sacrifice to see if I can work out the problem but I am open to suggestions. would not pulling the slide all the way maybe help? anyone else had this problem and find a solution?

its the scale of it that I can't get my head round, I am sure the mathematicians here could give me the odds :{

Gari

David A. Goldfarb
19-Jul-2007, 13:57
Does the leak appear in the film rebate, or is it unexposed (black for chromes, clear for negs)? If it's not in the rebate, then the leak is from the camera, not the holders. It might be that the holders are not seating properly in the back.

Another possibility is that the film could have been exposed prior to loading while it was still in the stack, if you've got the same leak in different sheets using different holders. Is the box worn, or might it have opened partially at some point?

Mark Stahlke
19-Jul-2007, 14:03
How on Earth can I have the same leak, same place at the same time?
They all seem to have developed this problem in the last few weeks as my chromes from a few weeks ago were fine!!!!Perhaps it's not the holders. Have you checked the camera and back to make sure the holders are seating properly?

Cheers,
Mark

gari beet
19-Jul-2007, 14:45
Thanks for the replies, the leaks are across the rebates. I have used 2 different cameras as I bought a new camera recently and the problem is with both, I processed a batch of sheets some of which were from the old camera, some from the new one.

David, I usually have mixed holders, Provia and Astia, I have just checked the film and so far I can only find the Provia to have the problem. Not all the RDP is fogged but those that are, are all RDP. Need to process an unexposed sheet to see if thats it. Never occurred to me that it could be the film!! I use a changing tent and usually quite anal but maybe there was a gap in the sleeve?

Thanks again, I shall keep you posted

Gari

David A. Goldfarb
19-Jul-2007, 19:44
Gap in the sleeve of the changing tent is indeed a possibility.