PDA

View Full Version : 3 Polaroid 405 questions.

Wayne Crider
28-Sep-2000, 23:00
First does this holder fit the Graflok backs? Second, is there some difference i n clearing the 665 P/N film compared to the Type 55? One thread with a response from Ellis said something about this. I'm looking to save a few bucks and shoot more P/N for the neg. Third, what do I do for a film carrier for a Bessler 4x5?

Larry Huppert
29-Sep-2000, 01:17
The method of clearing 655 and 55 are the same - sodium sulfide solution per Polaroid instruction sheet. However, there are some differences between the films. 655 negs have a backing which must removed via clearing in order to see through the negative at all. 55 negs can be viewed without clearing (key if your using the neg for critical focus check, or making sure the exposure is correct if using the negative for eventual printing). The other difference is in the print. The 55 print is translucent where the 655 print is pretty much opaque. Why is this a big deal? If you hold a 55 print up to a light you can see some of the shadow detail which will show up on a transparency which isn't seen by viewing the print reflectively. If these differences aren't important, than 655 might be a good choice.

TAN K H
29-Sep-2000, 04:28
It's sodium sulPHITE not sulphide.

Tony Brent
29-Sep-2000, 16:11
Yes the 405 fits Graflok backs. It will just go in under the ground glass panel without removing it.

For clearing, the same chemical is used for both films, but the dilution is a little different. Polaroid recommends 12% sodium sulfite for the 4x5 films and 18% for type 665.