PDA

View Full Version : Mountain Shooting

John Cahill
18-Jul-2007, 21:18
Any suggestions on what, if any exposure compensation to make when photographing at higher altitudes. I'll be shooting in New Mexico, 5-7K feet up?
TIA

John Berry
18-Jul-2007, 23:54
nada. Unless you are metering at sea level then figure the light increase due to the calculated increase from being 1/2 mile closer to the sun. Sorry for the flippant answer but that's just the space I'm in this evening. I have noticed when shooting at Mt Rainier that the sky has a lot more polarised look than at lower levels. I don't know if that would hold true at lower latitudes though.

Ole Tjugen
19-Jul-2007, 01:23
The sky is darker, the shadows deeper. There's quite a bit more UV at high altitudes, too.
This is true at all latitudes, at least between 65N and 3N where I've been at this kind of altitude (2000m - 6600ft). At lower altitudes than this you won't really notice.

eric black
19-Jul-2007, 04:23
Can you let us know where you are shooting? The only compensations I can think of would be what type of filters and/or film you should be thinking about bringing. New Mexico has quite a bit of variety in its mountains. The Sandias near Albuquerque have some wonderful gold aspects to them, the Northwestern ranges and areas near Santa Fe get into canyons that need warming or red filters to help bring back the colors that will tend to get blued out, expecially with longish exposures. Other areas like the Gila wilderness and Taos I would plan out as similar to shooting in any part of the Western Rockies.

GhoSStrider
19-Jul-2007, 06:38
I haven't had a chance to drag any LF gear too high yet, but when I shot (and shoot) little format stuff, I've never had to compensate for anything. I meter as usual and take the picture. This has worked effectively to 14,433' above sea level so far.

John Cahill
19-Jul-2007, 08:30
Thanks all. I'll be shooting B/W (EFKE 25). I'll have yellow, orange, and red filters with me. So the gist of your answers is the additional UV at altitude shall only mean extra sun screen for the photographer, not any kind of compensation for the UV on the film.

Ed Richards
19-Jul-2007, 08:39
Your red filter will be more effective, so depending on which red you use, you might want to step back on grade. For example, I use a R29 a lot at sea level on the Gulf Coast, but it would be hopelessly too extreme at altitude.

GhoSStrider
19-Jul-2007, 09:08
...the additional UV at altitude shall only mean extra sun screen for the photographer...

That is highly advisable! Bring extra water, too. You dehydrate at elevation easier. And if you're used to oxygen dense sea level air, be sure to acclimate before getting too crazy with hikes. All that aside, have fun! (And if you can, please post your results with Efke 25 and filters! Thanks!)

Robert Oliver
19-Jul-2007, 09:31
I relied on my meter at 11,000+ feet for many years without problems....