PDA

View Full Version : NYC Central Park Get Together

davidb
18-Jul-2007, 08:51
I will be in NYC probably around August 5th or so.

Anyone care to meet up and shoot a bit?

alec4444
18-Jul-2007, 19:31
Sure, I'm up for it!

--A

In stating "Sure, I'm up for it!" alec4444 has not yet verified with wife. Restrictions may apply. While alec4444 may contain the will for such a shoot, he may not have the means for transporting his camera. By replying to this message, you are acknowledging the presence of and heretofore agreeing to these terms.

Flexnib
18-Jul-2007, 20:57
Count me in. My lens should be back from Flutot's by then.
Arthur, NYC

MenacingTourist
18-Jul-2007, 22:27
Damn you guys. I'll be on vacation that week.
Let's not wait another 6 months for the next one please :)

Alan.

davidb
18-Jul-2007, 22:29
I'll be visiting from New Mexico.

I was trying to find a place that was hotter than Albuquerque in August.

:)

eddie
19-Jul-2007, 18:43
i am in. keep me posted

Alex Wei
20-Jul-2007, 14:12
I'd love to go also.

Alex W.

alec4444
24-Jul-2007, 19:42
This just in: ordered a 250lb. capacity luggage cart...so I may have (sturdier) wheels for 8/5. :)

David A. Goldfarb
25-Jul-2007, 04:41
I'm in the midst of moving to a new apartment, so I probably won't make this one, but have fun!

Scott Davis
25-Jul-2007, 07:15
I'm going to try and make it up. No promises, but now I have reliable wheels so it would be fun for a getaway.

Monty McCutchen
25-Jul-2007, 08:19
David,

you are giving up that view????? Say it ain't so!

David A. Goldfarb
25-Jul-2007, 08:47
Well, we'll have more space, which includes a larger dark/bathroom, so maybe I'll have time to print up all those negs and transparencies of the fabulous view we'll be giving up by cutting down a bit on the setup time.

The new view isn't as grand, but there is lots of interesting stuff to photograph in the neighborhood.

Flexnib
25-Jul-2007, 20:27
Hello all,
Any specifics as to date, time and location?
thanks
Arthur,nyc

Sanjay Sen
25-Jul-2007, 21:29
Well, we'll have more space, which includes a larger dark/bathroom, so maybe I'll have time to print up all those negs and transparencies of the fabulous view we'll be giving up by cutting down a bit on the setup time.

The new view isn't as grand, but there is lots of interesting stuff to photograph in the neighborhood.

Did you get one last with the 7x17? Would love to see that famous view on your "new" camera, unless I missed it already! :)

David A. Goldfarb
26-Jul-2007, 04:11
Yes, but haven't had time to print it yet. I may get another one or two before we move, since the clouds have been nice lately.

We're going to be moving up near the Cloisters, which allows tripods for non-commercial photography, and there are some nice vantage points for the GWB up there, as well as some very lively street life, so if we end up staying there long term, I might start doing some street shooting again, which I haven't done much of for years.

MenacingTourist
26-Jul-2007, 07:32
David,

I wondered if your (mostly) new baby had anything to do with your move. Amazing how much room they seem to take up :) and don't even get me started on the laundry...

Alan.

David A. Goldfarb
26-Jul-2007, 08:52
Yeah, I'd think he'd like a little more space as he's starting to crawl a bit.

alec4444
26-Jul-2007, 20:06
Hello all,
Any specifics as to date, time and location?
thanks
Arthur,nyc

Not that I'm aware of. Guess we'd better figure that out soon. Could run the same itinerary as before.....though our food options are a bit larger this time of year.

When we nail the time & location for the meetup I'll broadcast a note on the northeastlf mailing list.

--A

John Voss
27-Jul-2007, 05:02
I'm in the midst of moving to a new apartment, so I probably won't make this one, but have fun!

Unless there's a lottery or the like, I can imagine a steel cage death match to get your 'old' apartment. It could be a very entertaining battle! :D

David A. Goldfarb
27-Jul-2007, 05:38
Unless there's a lottery or the like, I can imagine a steel cage death match to get your 'old' apartment. It could be a very entertaining battle! :D

Heh. It's worse than that. It's Columbia University housing. The real competition, though, is for large apartments in the older buildings on Claremont Ave. and Riverside Dr.

Scott Davis
27-Jul-2007, 07:35
Not that I'm aware of. Guess we'd better figure that out soon. Could run the same itinerary as before.....though our food options are a bit larger this time of year.

When we nail the time & location for the meetup I'll broadcast a note on the northeastlf mailing list.

--A

Please post it here as well- not everyone who is interested in attending this event is on that mailing list.

J_Tardiff
27-Jul-2007, 07:45
I'm a tentative if I can get a little work coverage. I'm a rank newbie but I would certainly gain from some quiet observation.

JT

davidb
27-Jul-2007, 07:49
I was thinking Sunday August 5th at the Belvedere Castle.

eddie
27-Jul-2007, 08:41
I'm a tentative if I can get a little work coverage. I'm a rank newbie but I would certainly gain from some quiet observation.

JT

jt.

definitly come and bring your camera if you have one. it is a great time to see everyones stuff and to talk LF!

it was davids idea so lets meet where he wants to. i am in. keep the posts coming both here and the other mailing list.....my memory is bad these days.

eddie

Scott Davis
27-Jul-2007, 13:38
With a bit of luck and timing, I might have my 11x14 to bring with. I'll have to see how heavy it is (it should arrive sometime this week). For even bigger giggles, I'll be trying out dry-plate with it. Could be VERY interesting.

alec4444
27-Jul-2007, 15:14
I was thinking Sunday August 5th at the Belvedere Castle.

Sure. Time? Last time we met at 9:00am. We probably should have stuck around for a few mins more because we missed (but later caught up with) some people that came in around 9:20. Was early February, though, so we wanted to keep moving to keep warm! Later on that day we had arranged another meeting spot at 11:00am to catch up with the people that came from further away. That worked out well, and we gained some more folks.

Scott, definitely bring the 11x14! Which model is it? The new luggage cart I ordered for mine came in the mail this week and it looks like it'll be great. I'll still have to carry the tripod by hand, but that's ok. Was easy to get my stuff around last time, with the possible exception of (hahaha) all the steps at Belvedere Castle! But even then I made it.

Cheers!
--A

Scott Davis
28-Jul-2007, 04:52
the 11x14 is a Folmer & Schwing. Big beast- takes a 9" lensboard. It was quite the deal - camera, three holders, a triple-convertible Rapid Rectilinear, and the original F&S carrying case, in exchange for an Xpan.

alec4444
28-Jul-2007, 05:28
If you bring that, Scott, bring a couple extra lens boards for Copal 3. I have a new (to me) 355 G Claron and a Nikon 450M I'd be willing to share. And if you have a board that'll take a Compound #5 shutter I have a usable 360 f5.6 Symmar convertible.

You got that for an Xpan? That is a deal!

--A

davidb
28-Jul-2007, 16:18
Hey Guys,
I just learned that I can't get into NYC until Sunday night, so I can't make the gathering.

Sorry.

alec4444
29-Jul-2007, 05:26
Errrr, that's a bummer....sorry to hear that, David. Is everyone else still game? Anyone care to move this to Saturday 8/4? Saturdays have always been better for me - gives my sore body a chance to heal on Sunday.... I'm game on either date, though.

--A

Scott Davis
29-Jul-2007, 08:30
I'm up for either also- just need to know so I can plan to drive up there from DC, and how to attempt to arrange accommodations.

Scott Davis
30-Jul-2007, 06:40
Do we have a date/time confirmed yet? I'm voting for Saturday, as a friend of mine and I want to drive up from DC.

alec4444
30-Jul-2007, 07:41
No, haven't heard from anybody. I say we just nail it down. Let's meet at 9:00am on Saturday, August 4th at the Bethesda Fountain (see attached pic). The area is wide open, and pretty easy to spot people. It's also recognizable.

As before, let's meetup again at 11:00am to pickup those traveling longer distances. To avoid confusion we'll meet at the Bethesda Fountain again.

Aside from the meeting places, I'm up for going wherever. Those coming from further distances should plan the places they want to see...many of us can come back quite easily.

Cheers!
--A

PS: Rain date being Sunday, August 5!

eddie
30-Jul-2007, 08:25
Hey Guys,
I just learned that I can't get into NYC until Sunday night, so I can't make the gathering.

Sorry.

WHAT!?!?!?!? too bad for you! i am in still....who needs dave? ::)))))
keep me posted on what works for you all. i can do either.

eddie

Scott Davis
30-Jul-2007, 09:37
Ok- we (or at least I) will be there on Saturday morning.

eddie
30-Jul-2007, 14:24
i forgot i am supposed to be at a p[arty on the 4th. the 5th would be better for me. lets see what the group is doing. i will try.

eddie

alec4444
1-Aug-2007, 07:07
Oh come now, Eddie - we all know where the party is going to be on Saturday! Weather forecast thus far looks good. We need you to do the lunch photo again!

Anyone wondering what this is like can read here about our last adventure:
http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?t=22203

Was even fun in 28 degree weather.

LOL: Don Ciccone pointed out to me that we'd best try to find some more temperature-level months for this next year....something other than February & August! :p

Cheers!
--A

Scott Davis
1-Aug-2007, 07:23
I vote for may or early June for next year.

Flexnib
1-Aug-2007, 21:28
I am all set for Saturday morning.

Arthur, NYC

Alex Wei
1-Aug-2007, 23:10
I am good for Sat. morning, see you guys there.

The lunch photo is really fun :)

eddie
2-Aug-2007, 05:27
yeah yeah yeah! i can come! again i say come to kingston NY! great non NYC stuff, with plenty of catskill mountain stuff. obviously october is the best but yoiu have to fight with all the other leaf peepers.....unless we go during the week!

eddie

alec4444
2-Aug-2007, 07:49
Hey Eddie,

Glad you can make it! Arthur and I were talking about trying for sometime in September to get up there. In the meantime this weekend's going to be great. See y'all there!

--A

Bruce Osgood
2-Aug-2007, 12:36
9:00am on Saturday, August 4th at the Bethesda Fountain

Be there!

alec4444
2-Aug-2007, 20:50
9:00am on Saturday, August 4th at the Bethesda Fountain

Be there!

(or 11AM...your choice. We'll be there both times.)

:D

eddie
3-Aug-2007, 04:15
anyone gopt an extra bulb and hose so i can try my "new to me" packard shutter out with some of my barrel lenses? please! i promise to give it back.

eddie

MenacingTourist
3-Aug-2007, 07:25
See.
If you guys did this last weekend I could have brought you a bulb and hose :)
Are you using this on your 2D? I'm hauling mine to Utah today and will be making use of the wood shop out there and making lensboards. Let me know if you need spares.

Alan.

alec4444
3-Aug-2007, 07:27
anyone gopt an extra bulb and hose so i can try my "new to me" packard shutter out with some of my barrel lenses? please! i promise to give it back.

Sorry, don't have one. Bummer because I want to get a packard and I'd love to see how it works. You're near the Hudson...can't you go to a marina and snag a hose and bulb used on those smaller gas tanks? I bet that's about the right size.....

--A

eddie
3-Aug-2007, 13:04
See.
If you guys did this last weekend I could have brought you a bulb and hose :)
Are you using this on your 2D? I'm hauling mine to Utah today and will be making use of the wood shop out there and making lensboards. Let me know if you need spares.

Alan.

sure! why not? i found if i round the corners a bit on my 2D lens boards they will fit my green monster also!

where are you going in utah? coming back? i iwll be in idaho and the tetons/yellowstone in mid oct.

eddie

alec4444
3-Aug-2007, 17:10
Crap. I'm going to be a few mins late - checked the lightmeter and the damn battery is dead. There's a Radio Shack sorta on the way...72nd and Broadway, but it doesn't open until 9:00. Can someone PM me their cell # so I can catch up with you guys?

Thanks!
--A

eddie
4-Aug-2007, 03:04
Crap. I'm going to be a few mins late - checked the lightmeter and the damn battery is dead. There's a Radio Shack sorta on the way...72nd and Broadway, but it doesn't open until 9:00. Can someone PM me their cell # so I can catch up with you guys?

Thanks!
--A

NO! new game....hide and seek!

eddie has no mobile phone but i do have a rotary dial........

David A. Goldfarb
4-Aug-2007, 05:43
Heh. Who's that guy hiding under the darkcloth?

eddie
4-Aug-2007, 19:42
great time ya' all!

thanks for the film holders Art! you are the best!!!

scott. great to put a face to the name! thanks for all the info.

alex and alex, good to see you again.

i have forgotten scott's friend....but what a great 4x5 camera and all that useful build info. cheers

eddie

alec4444
4-Aug-2007, 20:51
Yes, great time guys! Group pic attached. From left to right:

Alex with his 4x5 Shen Hao.
Alec with his 11x14 Wisner
Eddie with his Zero Image 4x5 pinhole camera
Scott with his 5x7 Canham
Arthur with his 4x5 Crown Graphic
"Scott's Friend" (apologies for forgetting his name) with his (not pictured) converted-to-4x5 Polaroid Land Camera.

Less shooting today and more chatting - which is the fun of it anyway. Lots of $2 waters. Next trip planned is to somewhere in Kingston, NY sometime in September!

Cheers!
--A

PS: Hey Bruce, what happened to "BE THERE"???? :)

Bruce Osgood
5-Aug-2007, 06:56
PS: Hey Bruce, what happened to "BE THERE"???? :)

Ahh, thank you for noticing.... A small family situation needed attention and I was on L.I. most of the day. But Kingsington sounds good too.

Alex Wei
5-Aug-2007, 22:03
It was a time well spent that day! We became sort of tourist attraction in the park that day :)

Very nice talk to all of you guys, thanks Eddie for sharing his wonderful Thailand pictures. Got my hands on Canham a little bit, truly a beauty! Thanks to Scott who give us one of his nice portrait work print. Of course everybody has something to show for. Scott's friends modified Polaroid camera, an old Russian panorama camera, and Alec’s little lens which has a serious coverage with a pipe-wrench mark on the ring (ouch) and finally we played around with Arthur's crown graphic.

All in all a good day, nice to see and talk to everyone.

davidb
6-Aug-2007, 13:32
Sorry I missed it but I am "stuck" in the Adirondacks where it has been wonderfully cool in temperature.

Scott Davis
6-Aug-2007, 13:37
My friend's name is Diwan. We both had a great time meeting y'all and hanging out in the park shooting. I'm going to try and get the film processed this week, and hopefully have a couple of pt/pd prints to show for it.

Flexnib
6-Aug-2007, 20:51
Hello all,
Wanted to thank all that attended. I had a great time and learned alot. Hoping to see you all in September.

Be well
Arthur

eddie
7-Aug-2007, 04:55
Sorry I missed it but I am "stuck" in the Adirondacks where it has been wonderfully cool in temperature.

david, stop by kingston on your way by if you come this way. i am on exit 17 on rt I87 the NY state thruway.
eddie
845 336 5106
845 704 7208 call me.

eddie
7-Aug-2007, 07:13
david, stop by kingston on your way by if you come this way. i am on exit 17 on rt I87 the NY state thruway.
eddie
845 336 5106
845 704 7208 call me.

WHAO! that should be exit 19!!! i must have not had enough coffee when i wrote the above.

EXIT 19

eddie

Alex Wei
15-Aug-2007, 23:13
Guys, here are some pictures I took last time.

Alex Wei
15-Aug-2007, 23:18
more,

http://www.pbase.com/image/83975495.jpg

http://www.pbase.com/image/83975989.jpg

eddie
16-Aug-2007, 04:19
nice shots alex. i still need to soup mine......DOH!

eddie

Scott Davis
16-Aug-2007, 06:21
Same here. I've just been too busy... And then I got the 5x12 and had to put some film through it too...

Alex Wei
16-Aug-2007, 10:54
Scott, you have way too many cameras :)

Thanks Eddie.

Scott Davis
16-Aug-2007, 14:21
Alex- you don't know the half of the inventory -

In 35mm - Contax G1, Contax RX.
In 2 1/4 - Graflex 22 TLR
In LF - Shen-Hao 4x5, Canham wood-field with 5x7 and 5x12 backs, Seneca Whole-plate field camera, Century Master studio camera with stand and 5x7 and whole-plate backs, Folmer Graflex 8x10 field camera with 8x10 and 5x7 backs, Zone VI Ultralight 8x10, Gundlach Wizard 11x14. And I've got lenses and film holders for all of them, in all of their formats. I think that covers most of it, not including the Olympus E-1 digital and some other small format more-or-less collectible stuff I don't use. Someday I'll get all of them set up together and take a group portrait. Probably with the iPhone :D

eddie
17-Aug-2007, 11:32
two photos.
one is a group shot. everyone held still nicely. i am the ghost.
sorry about the scanner artifacts.

i forget where the second shot was....

all done with my 6x6 ansco folder f190 NPS 160 film. B&W to follow shortly.

eddie

Scott Davis
17-Aug-2007, 11:36
Eddie- that looks like the bottom of the flagpole at the edge of the Bethesda Fountain.
Those were with your little pinhole, the one you almost lost? Cool.

eddie
17-Aug-2007, 13:17
Eddie- that looks like the bottom of the flagpole at the edge of the Bethesda Fountain.
Those were with your little pinhole, the one you almost lost? Cool.

oh yeah! the flag pole. yes, that is the one i almost lost. thanks to alec, i still got it. i am sure that no "tiny digital user" would want a 60 year old film folder....

eddie
20-Aug-2007, 08:13
okay! i souped my negs. let me say this.....i did too many negs at once (12) and a mix of 5x7 and 4x5 so as you can see from the scans i scratched the shit out of my good neg! damn! always works that way.

anyway......