PDA

View Full Version : Feisol 3301 for Shen Hao-not enough?

ecard1832
18-Jul-2007, 06:20
I'm a newcomer to LF, and I know enough to be dangerous, to myself anyway. I've been having a great time with my Shen Hao 4x5 and usually use it with a Feisol 3371 and a Manfrotto 410 geared head. I'm taking a vacation to RI, my home state, and just have to bring the camera. The Feisol 3371 is steady like a rock, but it would be convenient to travel with the 3301 instead. I'm short and the height is perfect for the Shen Hao when fully extended. (I usually use it for a Mamiya TLR and smaller).

I set up the Shen Hao on the 3301 with a Grandagon N 90mm 4.5 (my heaviest lens), and it seems steady enough to me, but nothing like the 3371. Because it's a little top heavy with the 410, it seems a little too easy to knock it over. The weight of camera, lens and gear head is around 10 lbs. Max rating on the 3301 is about 15 lbs.

Because of my lack of experience, I don't know if I'm being paranoid, or if my sense that I'll be "on the edge" with the 3301 is correct, especially if I'm on less than flat ground. What do you think?

Ed

Greg Lockrey
18-Jul-2007, 06:26
It's enough. I'm also hearing the small compact 3442 is also adequate for travel purposes. The 3371 like my 3471 is really a monster in comparison.

Jeff Berman
18-Jul-2007, 08:14
I just ordered a 3471 and hoping it's here before the weekend. Is it really too heavy to travel around with easily?

ecard1832
18-Jul-2007, 08:41
Jeff,

I wouldn't say that the 3371 is too heavy at all-just compared to the 3301, overall it's a bigger package bulkwise to carry around traveling. I shoulder my Shen Hao on the 3371 and it's no problem. I'm going on vacation with my two sons (14 & 19 yrs. old), and space will be at a premium. Also, because of it's smaller size, it'll be real easy to strap the 3301 to my backpack, and trek around completely self contained-a picture taking machine!:D

You will love your Feisol tripod.

ecard1832
18-Jul-2007, 08:47
Greg,

I don't want to hijack the thread I started, but had to tell you that "Morning Dew With 3 Trees"-very nice job. Is that a hand tinted B+W print?

Greg Lockrey
18-Jul-2007, 13:46
Greg,

I don't want to hijack the thread I started, but had to tell you that "Morning Dew With 3 Trees"-very nice job. Is that a hand tinted B+W print?

:) :) Well thank you for taking the time to look and comment. Boy am I tempted to say yes, but no. It's just an image from a 2.1 mp Olympus C-700 that was my first digital camera. (I sold quit a few copies of that image BTW.) I bought it to carry with me on my bike rides and it has a 10X optical zoom. The view is in my backyard shot about 8 years ago.

Yes, the Fiesol 3471 is easy to carry around. (To get back on topic.):)

ecard1832
18-Jul-2007, 14:25
I think I'm going to try out a Giottos MH-1000 ball head with the 3301 in place of the Manfrotto 410. The ball head is supposed to be a little shorter, but weighs a full pound less than the 410. I think that might make a significant difference as to the "top heavy" feel of the set up.

Greg Lockrey
18-Jul-2007, 15:05
I'd like to see someone take the plunge and get one of those Feisol ball heads and report back. They appear to be adequate.:)

Jeff Berman
18-Jul-2007, 15:18
ecard1832,

(that makes me think of THX 1138)

Thanks for your earlier message. So what do you think of the Feisol ball heads? I ordered a 50H head to go with the 3471 -- I've never used a ball head before and would be inclined to use a geared head like the Manfrotto 410/Bogen 3275 except that I kept seeing all these LF shooters swearing by their ball heads so I said WTF and went for the ensemble Feisol kit.

Jeff

ecard1832
18-Jul-2007, 19:08
Jeff,

Sounds like a good decision. I gave the Feisol ball head's a lot of thought, and the 50H looks like the one to get. I went with the Giottos because I needed it in a hurry, and it won't be my primary set up for the 4x5 (unless I really like it a lot). Most of my shooting I'm working maybe a couple of hundred feet from my car, so weight and size isn't usuallyproblem, and I'll have plenty of use for the ball head with medium format and 35mm.

I know a lot of folks will be curious about the Feisol ball heads. If the quality is anything like their tripods you won't be disappointed.

Ted Harris
19-Jul-2007, 05:22
IMO tthe 3301 will be fine for a travel 'pod. I use the 3441 for travel beause it folds up so short. I use it with a Toyo AII and use a Novofle Classic 3 ballhead. The combo is definitely solid and stable, even on uneven surfaces. Do you need to exercise a bit of care, sure. I don't recommend the combo for everyday (everyday 'pod is a Linhof 3414) but it is the absolute best when you need to tracel by air and/or want something very lightweight. I have beent hrough a number of so called travel tripods over the years and this is the firt one that passes the size, weight, max. height and stability tests with ease.