PDA

View Full Version : How do you carry your Quickloads?

Aender Brepsom
17-Jul-2007, 08:22
Hello,

how do you carry your Quickload holder and sheets when out in the field? Any suggestion for a nicely fitting pouch?
Thank you very much for your help.

Regards
Aender

eric black
17-Jul-2007, 08:39
Gnass makes several nice solutions for this- my personal Gnass holder allows me to neatly carry a quickload holder and about 30-40 quickloads into the field.

davidb
17-Jul-2007, 08:40
I carry the holder in my back pack and then use a receipt holder from Office Max for the film. It is a perfect size, costs about $8 and will hold 20 sheets.

Jeffrey Sipress
17-Jul-2007, 08:50
That Gnass three pouch holder is about the handiest of all my camera accessories.

Brian Vuillemenot
17-Jul-2007, 12:51
I just use the foil pouch and box that the Quickloads come in! Much cheaper and simpler than buying a seperate holder...

mike kwiatkowski
17-Jul-2007, 14:01
I put the holder in my pack and I carry the film in the foil and box. I then put the film box in an accessory pouch that fastens on the side of my pack.

David_Senesac
17-Jul-2007, 14:16
I use the green Fuji 20 sheet boxes of Quickloads they come in. Don't understand why someone might want to remove them into some other case since the manufacturer's card paper box is the minimal dimensions and bulk for the number of sheets. For use I use a fingernail to slit the seal tape. Then with the Swiss Army knife on my keychain, cut away a section of the corner of the foil bag large enough to easily pull sheets out or push them back in with my fingers.

For the sake of showing how smooth working with the original box is for me in the field: When needing a sheet for my view camera, I:

Grab my custom Quickloder case from the top of my daypack and remove the Quickloader from its case.
Grab the Quickload film box from the top of my daypack, remove the foil bag from the box, and place the Quickloader sandwiched atop the foil bag.
Reach in with my fingers and remove a sheet from the top of the stack inside the foil bag then immediately push it securely into the entry of the Quickloader.
I put down the foil bag with excess foil folded under atop its box on the ground.
I continue to push the Quickload sheet fully into the Quickloader then gently push it behind my ground glass into the camera.
I expose the sheet, then go through the Quickloader sheet re-seating and removal process.
From the film box apply one of the exposed stickers sealing the top of the sheet and push it back in at the bottom of the foil bag stack.
Fold under the excess foil bag, slip it into the box, put the lid back, and store it at the top of my daypack.
Grab the empty Quickloader, push it back into its case and put it back at the top of my day pack and I'm done.

David Senesac

Harley Goldman
17-Jul-2007, 15:39
The Gnass holder is da' kine. It is truly a great accessory. You can hang it from your ballhead and you have your holder and your film ready to go. Want to recompose? Just slide out the holder, put it back in the Gnass hanging there and your are there. You don't have to set anything down. It fits a holder and about 40 sheets in a handy little package.

Jeffrey Sipress
17-Jul-2007, 20:46
I knew you'd like it, Harley!

Andrew_4548
18-Jul-2007, 04:37
If you've a Lowepro bag, the add-on side pockets will hold 40 sheets nice and snug in their foil wrappers. I use them as replacements for the ones I have open inside the bag itself. Extra weight, I know, but on occasion I have been known to get into motor-drive mode ;

The Q/L holder is stored in it's bag on the top of the camera with the darkcloth in between and is held in with the little elastic stretcher. I don't have anything to hang it on the tripod as I use the bag on the floor as the "work table."

Gordon Moat
18-Jul-2007, 10:30
Which Lowepro Sliplock bag are you using? I have an AW60, which I think is the largest, but it is not tall enough for Quickload/Readyload films.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat
A G Studio (http://www.allgstudio.com)

Andrew_4548
18-Jul-2007, 12:05
Gordon,

Mine came out before Sliplock was thought about / released.

There isn't a number on the outside and the only thing on the inside is a ring round "64k" on the "Made In Korea" label. I guess this was the internal part number. It was bought around the time of my trekker and mine is the older style green and black rather than the graphite / black as they are now.

The pocket measures 10" H x 5" W x 3" D, fastens onto the side loops with straps and nicely takes 2 packets of quickloads.

There isn't any padding to it but it does seem to be water resistant with a rubberised inner and flap over the zip.

There doesn't seem to be anything too similar on the Lowepro site to buy as a separate item but the Super Trekker and Pro Trekker now include an "Accessory Pouch" and a "Lens Pouch" that may be the modern versions although the zip looks to be in a different place. My zip is across the upper end whereas these look as though they could be lengthways (strange way but heyho ;) ), i.e.

http://www.lowepro.com/images/products/large/SuperAWII_cl_day_pouch_2.jpg

Andrew

Gordon Moat
18-Jul-2007, 13:15
Thanks Andrew. Seems Lowepro only sell those items with those two backpacks. The closest separate item seems to be their Lens Case 4, which is close in dimensions. Unfortunately, I think the round shape and rigid construction would not be very useful as a film holder.

I am currently using a CompuTrekker AW, with the laptop slot as my Quickload/Readyload compartment. It actually works fairly well, and is close to maximum for some airline carry-on requirements. Still, it is a shame Lowepro do not make a dedicated Quickload/Readload holder in Sliplock style.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat

Eric James
18-Jul-2007, 13:29
I agree with Gordon, these long cylinder-shaped cases aren't well suited for Quickloads or their holder. FWIW, I contacted a LowePro US sales rep. a few months ago to inquire about the long Sliplock cases for the SuperTrekker. I was informed that they (at least the unpadded version) are available and go for $30, ordered directly from LowePro. I don't remember the reps. name but he frequents photo.net. - you might find him with a few searches.

About two months ago the guy from photobackpacker was inquiring about "green box" dimensions - he might have something on the market soon.

Andrew_4548
18-Jul-2007, 14:19
There's always a chance of someone like Kevin Saitta / http://www.saittabags.com/ who could possibly knock something together and add it to his sales lines...

A while back I had several conversations via email with Kevin about designing a filter holder but it eventually fizzled out at our end due to lack of interest in the group and too many people wanting too many variations so it wouldn't have been feasible :(

A Quickload storage bag should be relatively straight-forward (famous last words ;) ) once you decide how many you want to carry at a time...

Gordon Moat
18-Jul-2007, 18:07
I have a feeling that the guy behind PhotoBackpacker is working on a Quickload/Readyload holder. Might be interesting.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat