PDA

View Full Version : How interchangeable are dark slides?

Roy Gold
16-Jul-2007, 10:04
I have an older wooden 8 x 10 holder that needs a new darkslide. Can I replace it with a generic one or do I need to find a darkslide for that particular holder?

Gene McCluney
16-Jul-2007, 10:40
You may or may not be able to use a modern darkslide. Most wood holders have darkslides that are shorter, meaning that a modern darkslide will stick out a bit more. Some holders used wider or narrower slides. You will just have to test to find out. Even within the modern plastic film holders there were differences. It is not a major issue to cut down an overly large dark slide, but of course you can't add material to one that is too small.

Glenn Thoreson
16-Jul-2007, 10:43
I think I have some extra slides for older 8X10. If you want to measure yours and leave me a PM, I'll check.

Robert A. Zeichner
16-Jul-2007, 16:07
In my experience, most film holders need the slides that were designed for them. You particularly need to pay attention to how far the end opposite the wire or plastic handle penetrates the light lock. While on this topic, I have a bunch of extra dark slides for the older style (aluminum, painted black on one side with wire handle) Fidelity 4x5 holders that I would trade for a couple of the newer plastic styles in 4x5 or 5x7.