PDA

View Full Version : tachihara 8x10 models??

figaro
15-Jul-2007, 08:35
hello ,
i am at the verge of buying a 8x10 Tachihara.
Can somebody explain to me the difference between messing/gold coloured metal and the ones with silver coloured metal.
Is it just the metal,our are those camerras different? (i know only to different models;the double and triple ext)(and the new plastic rings between knobs on the new ones)
by the way;does the Tach 8x10 always have 2 knobs on the rear?

thank you !

Brian Ellis
15-Jul-2007, 11:23
If the 8x10s are like the 4x5s the one with the nickel plating (I think that's what it is) also has a different finish on the wood (or perhaps has a different wood entirely) and so between the metal and the wood they look different than the traditional Tachiharas and they cost more. But they're otherwise the same camera. This is just my understanding from when I was looking for a 4x5 Tachihara, I'm not up on all the latest stuff from Tachihara so someone can correct me if I'm wrong. I don't know anything about the 2 knobs on the rear. MidWest Photo Exchange's web site (www.mpx.com I think it is) used to have a lot of information about the Tachihara cameras, you might check there to see what you find.

Ted Harris
15-Jul-2007, 11:27
Brian is right but beetter yet just call Jim at Midwest 614-261-1264. He goes to Japan 4-5 times a year and sees Mr. Tachihara on several of his trips.

Ed Spence
15-Jul-2007, 14:21
I have owned two 4x5 Tachihara cameras, one with gold brass fittings, the other with bright silver. Operationally they were identical. I believe that's always the case, unless you go way back to an earlier design.

I believe, also, that 8x10 and 5x7 models always have the two knobs, to allow moving the film stage forward, and also, by moving the two sides an uneven distance, to achieve a swing. The 4x5 models are different--you slide the film stage forward and lock it, then use a separate swing control. I didn't find it to be a difficulty 0n my 8x10, but I sold it to a friend, and he wants to sell the camera because of that. I guess that's why Baskin Robbins makes all those flavors.

Hope this helps.

figaro
16-Jul-2007, 06:10
thanks for the help everybody!!
figaro

Ralph Barker
16-Jul-2007, 08:01
The "double extension" 8x10 Tachi, which I have (brass colored hardware), uses the two-knob method for moving the rear standard as Ed describes. Note, however, that the rear swing it provides is quite minimal. My understanding is that the "triple extension" model has a separate rear-swing mechanism, allowing greater movements.