PDA

View Full Version : Another Traditional Lab Calls it quits

Mark Carney
12-Jul-2007, 16:22
The Film Lab in Lexington KY is calling it quits after 25 years. They were the areas only full service lab and held out as long as they could. They were a tremendous resource to the area.

They'll be missed.

JPlomley
12-Jul-2007, 16:50
I can sympathize. As far as I am aware there is really only one full service lab left in Montreal. After that's gone, I guess everything will have to be shipped to Toronto. And after that, I guess I will need to start shipping south of the border...and after that...I will also be herded to the digital pasture. That is the master marketing plan after all :(

Wayne Crider
12-Jul-2007, 17:01
There's a lab down here in Davie Florida that process E6 in 4x5 and even 3&1/4 x 4&1/4. I'll look up the address and post it here if anyone is interested. The prices were good from what I remember.

Bill_1856
12-Jul-2007, 17:53
By Gosh, it can't be all bad! Looks like some "real photographers" will have to start doing their own work again. Oh the agony, oh the pain, oh the humanity!

Brian Ellis
12-Jul-2007, 18:10
By Gosh, it can't be all bad! Looks like some "real photographers" will have to start doing their own work again. Oh the agony, oh the pain, oh the humanity!

Oh the humanity?

JPlomley
13-Jul-2007, 05:54

I consider Jack Dykinga and David Muench "real photographers", and I'm quite sure they don't process their own E6 trannies.

Jrewt
13-Jul-2007, 06:00
e6 of atlanta is a lab that's been around for 25 years as well. They package the film and mail it out quickly. So they are also an option.

DavidFisk
13-Jul-2007, 10:34
Oh the humanity?

It comes from Herb Morrison's broadcast of the Hindenburg when it caught fire, remarking on the tragedy.

Michael Jones
16-Jul-2007, 18:02
It comes from Herb Morrison's broadcast of the Hindenburg when it caught fire, remarking on the tragedy.

I think that was the point.

Mike

Marko
16-Jul-2007, 18:20

I think that was the point.

Mike

The point could be also that 70 years later, the zeppelins - blimps - are still in use, at least here in LA. Not for their original purpose, of course, but those among us who think that planes and helicopters just do not convey enough of the romance and adventure can still take solace each time they look up during a ball game or simply while sitting in traffic... ;)

Michael Mutmansky
17-Jul-2007, 10:39
Zepplins are not blimps...

Michael Graves
17-Jul-2007, 11:09

Especially Led Zepplins.

Arne Croell
17-Jul-2007, 14:21
Correct.....but real Zeppelins are back too:

http://www.zeppelin-nt.de/pages/E/luftsch_u_zepp.htm

And you can even open a window for aerial photography without glass when you're in one.

Ted Harris
17-Jul-2007, 14:48
Arne, where can I buy a ticket and it doesn't look like they are flying any commercial routs with passengers yet :(:(:(

Arne Croell
17-Jul-2007, 14:56
Arne, where can I buy a ticket and it doesn't look like they are flying any commercial routs with passengers yet :(:(:(

Ted, they are not doing commercial routes going from A to B. They do tourist routes around Lake Konstanz from their base in Friedrichshafen, for 30min to 1h. You can book it here:
http://www.zeppelinflug.de/pages/E/haupt.htm

Its expensive for the short trip, 8-10 passengers max.; I did a short one with my wife 3 years ago and it was definitely different from any plane experience I had before (I've never tried a hot air balloon, that might be similar, but is of course not a dirigible).

Arne Croell
17-Jul-2007, 14:59

I forgot to mention, they do use Helium nowadays...

gregstidham
18-Jul-2007, 08:48
Did the Film Lab start including digital services in their business? Labs that seem to survive offer both traditional and digital.

Just curious. thanks