PDA

View Full Version : 4x5 Flash Brackets, Units

Vincent Alpino
11-Jul-2007, 22:11
Hi Everyone,

I've been shooting 35mm for about ten years now, and just got my first 4x5 about six months ago. I love it and haven't picked up my 35 since then. I've been carrying around a tripod most of the time, but about a month ago started using my Linhof Technika IV handheld, and have had a lot of fun with it.

Recently I've been wanting to bring it with me into interiors around Los Angeles at night, i.e. small concert venues, abandoned buildings, etc. I'd like to put together some kind of bracket and flash unit so I can start experimenting with it, but haven't come across much info on the net about it. Most of the brackets I see are for smaller cameras and not much else. Additionally, I'm very familiar with studio flash, but have never really used any kind of mobile flash units.

I was hoping to get some advice on the topic from more experienced large format photographers. Any advice/info would be really helpful. Thanks-

Greg Lockrey
11-Jul-2007, 22:42
I use a Metz 45CT-4 that has it's own flash braket and it works just fine on my Speed Graphic.

David A. Goldfarb
12-Jul-2007, 05:16
A simple bracket like the basic Norman flash bracket or something similar is what works best, if you don't have a flash with a round handle and e-clips that clips to the original flash mount on the rangefinder.

I sometimes use the bracket also to hold the camera, but more often I prefer to attach the bracket to the camera bed and use the ergonomic grip to hold the camera.

Wayne Crider
12-Jul-2007, 17:20
I had some legs off an old aluminum tripod that I adapted as a flash bracket for my Graphic. Original flash brackets clips were used around a leg. At the top I added a cheap right angle bracket for a 35mm camera and on top of that the flash sits. It's a great unit. You might also just infrared strobe a flash held by hand and triggering the shutter by pneumatic. That way at least you can put the flash were you want without using a light stand.