PDA

View Full Version : Calumet shutter tester

Rider
11-Jul-2007, 06:27
Does anyone know whether the Calumet Shutter Tester is still available new?

jann
11-Jul-2007, 07:30
they show it on their website. $109

BrianShaw
Err, umm, how about asking Calumet?

http://www.calumetphoto.com/ctl?ac.ui.pn=search.Search&query=shutter+speed+tester&x=7&y=28

BrianShaw
You'll want to find out what "on order" means.

Walter Calahan
11-Jul-2007, 08:01
I'm still waiting for mine from Calumet.

I saw one sell on eBay used for more than Calumet sells them new. That might mean something.

John Bowen
11-Jul-2007, 17:27
I ordered one of these new from Calumet about 4 months ago. They said it was back ordered when I placed my order. After about 3 months, I received an e-mail that something was being shipped to me from Calumet. For the life of me, I couldn't remember what I had ordered. To my surprise a shutter tester arrived. So, yes they still make these things new, but you have to be patient.

Best,

John

cblurton
11-Jul-2007, 18:24
I ordered mine March 23, 2007, and haven't received it yet. I've contacted them several times and, the last time, was told it would ship in two weeks. That was at least three weeks ago, and still no product.

Jack Flesher
11-Jul-2007, 18:48
I ordered mine about 3 months ago and got a note it was back-ordered with expected delivery in September. I cancelled that one and just paid almost new for an obviously used one on eBay...

Frank R
14-Jul-2007, 05:49
It took a couple of months to get mine; I think they are custom made in small batches.

It was worth the wait; very easy to use.

Rider
14-Jul-2007, 08:41
It's great to get everyone's personal experience.

I also asked Calumet. I got an email from them saying the delays are due to part shortgages. I put an order for one (the last one that sold on eBay went for very close to the new price.)

Ken Lee
14-Jul-2007, 10:24
Perhaps you could share where you live, and someone in your area might lend you theirs.

cblurton
3-Aug-2007, 16:25
After months of waiting patiently, received this message from Calumet today concerning the availability of the shutter tester as a product:

-----------------------------------
date Aug 4, 2007 1:57 AM
subject Your Calumet backorder

We have been advised that the Calumet Shutter Speed Tester (AA8075) has been discontinued by the manufacturer.

The issue was regarding parts used in manufacturing the item- an essential part could no longer be manufactured by the supplier due to environmental hazards.

Replacement parts were tested, however the failure rate during final testing was too high to continue production.

Our apologies for the delay, and for any inconvenience this has caused.

Michelle Biesiadecki
Direct Sales / Internet Sales
Calumet Photographic, Inc

-----------------------------------

Does anyone know of other sources besides used ones on eB*y?

Craig

erie patsellis
3-Aug-2007, 16:38
The insanity of ROHS strikes again

erie

John Hannon
3-Aug-2007, 18:03
It must be the display module. I can see a single CA339 IC and all of the other components are resistors, capacitors and the photo transistor. All available from electronics supply stores. The display module is on the other side of the board and I can't see it. They have hot glued the board to the case. :rolleyes:

I was lucky to get mine at a flea market $5.

Ed Richards
3-Aug-2007, 18:08
I also gave up after about 3 months and went for an ebay model.

BrianShaw
3-Aug-2007, 18:53
It must be the display module.

or the solder.

John Hannon
3-Aug-2007, 20:02
or the solder.

They referred to replacement parts. If it is the solder, isn't there solder that conforms to ROHS? How is stuff being built now?

erie patsellis
3-Aug-2007, 20:13
Not very well, I'm afraid. High Tin solders that whisker really bad, components that can just refuse solderability, it's pretty scary to be in electronic mfg. right now.

erie

BrianShaw
3-Aug-2007, 20:18
They referred to replacement parts.

or the plastic case???

I agree with you, John... this is quite the mystery... there really doesn't appear to be much in those things that might be environmentally hazardous in nature.

John Hannon
4-Aug-2007, 07:35
Not very well, I'm afraid. High Tin solders that whisker really bad, components that can just refuse solderability, it's pretty scary to be in electronic mfg. right now.

erie

I have been a repair tech for almost 35 years. Been out of the business for a few years now so I missed out working on stuff that is ROHS. I guess about the only thing electronic worth fixing now is the vintage stuff--old tube amps (guitar) and vintage music keyboards. That is what I worked on for years.

Too bad about the shutter tester, it's a good tool. Now that they are discontinued, I guess they will get a high price on the Ebay market.

--John

erie patsellis
4-Aug-2007, 07:53
I've been out of it for years, other than my own projects. However I have a friend that is a manufacturer, on a small scale. The change to ROHS nearly cost him everything, if he didnt' change over, he can't sell worldwide and by time it was all said and done, it cost him close to a years revenue between lost production time and scrap getting the smt solder issues resolved. (and he averages >$1m/ year in sales) The small guy is getting slowly squeezed out of the picture.

erie

(for those that don't know, ROHS stands for reduction of hazardous substances. basically take everything you know about solder, component leads, etc. and throw it out the window, nearly no lead, no beryllium or rhodium, as well as a million other details. Pretty much turn the entire electronics world upside down. It could be any # of reasons, from the micro that they are using not being available in a ROHS version (end of life issues) to any other little part. It's frustrating to those of us who occaisionally build things. )

BrianShaw
4-Aug-2007, 08:12
It's frustrating to those of us who occaisionally build things.

Its frustrating to those of us who occasionally have to throw these things away, too! Disposal of small-quantity hazardous waste is a bit of a problem.

Bruce Osgood
4-Aug-2007, 08:27
Living in NYC I was able to walk in to Calumet but they said, at that time (two years ago), they only had one and it was in their LA store. They would ship it to me but I still had to pay NYC sales tax.
But I did get it and it works fine.

BrianShaw
4-Aug-2007, 08:48
Oh, you got it already. I guess I should turn off my engine. I was going to rush over to the LA store to get the last one!

Tax is a (not so) funny thing: stores need to charge tax on mail orders if they have a brick-and-mortar store anywhere in the state in which the merchandise was delivered. I hate having to pay both shipping and sales tax, but what's a guy to do? Sometimes there is no choice. Don't ya hate it??

Gene McCluney
4-Aug-2007, 09:02
If there is enough demand, this simple product could be manufactured with a fresh design that would meet the ROHS requirements. I mean, after all, there are plenty of very complicated electronics (computer, TV, stereo, etc.) that are made.

Will Thompson
4-Aug-2007, 10:43
I have 2 and was thinking of renting them out with a deposit so high that they would be sure to come back or I would not care if it did not!

erie patsellis
4-Aug-2007, 14:29
There's really not that much to them, an oscillator, a photo transistor that gates a counter, I'd imagine it could easily be done as a PIC or AVR project. (not volunteering, as I have too many projects on my plate already)

erie

Carsten Wolff
4-Aug-2007, 17:12
I made one last year using instructions off the web; works a charm and cost me about $10 in parts. http://www.geocities.com/Yosemite/2131/. The one I use plugs into the mic input of your PC and connects a simple phototransistor circuit to your soundcard.

cblurton
4-Aug-2007, 17:59
for those that don't know, ROHS stands for reduction of hazardous substances. basically take everything you know about solder, component leads, etc. and throw it out the window, nearly no lead, no beryllium or rhodium, as well as a million other details.

Thanks for explaining ROHS. I didn't have a clue.

Craig