PDA

View Full Version : Any permits required/suggested for Large Format in Hawaii

Barry Thelen
10-Jul-2007, 11:45
I will be taking my 4X5 to Oahu, Kauai, Maui, and mainly to the Big Island. While my trip is purely for recreation (10th wedding anniversary) I was wondering if anyone there might ask for a commercial photo permit. Occasionally this has happened other places when I set up my camera. I expect that all (or most) of my photos will be taken on public land, such as Volcanoes National Park.

David A. Goldfarb
10-Jul-2007, 11:50
I've never needed a permit anywhere in the islands. There are some places where you might need a guide, because a trail crosses private land.

bsimison
10-Jul-2007, 13:42
Just curious, but where have you been asked to have a permit? In all of my many encounters with US NPS employees here in the Lower 48, I've never been asked to show or instructed to obtain a photography permit.

Judging from the information available at http://home.nps.gov/applications/digest/permits.cfm?urlarea=permits, it sounds to me like permits are meant for special park access and/or large film crews. Walking around by yourself (or even with an assistant or two) in public areas lugging your pack full of LF gear doesn't seem to warrant a permit.

Or am I mistaken?

Kirk Gittings
10-Jul-2007, 18:02
I have been asked many times by pathetically uninformed NPS employees for a permit, which is why I carry a copy of the regs with me when shooting in the parks.

roteague
10-Jul-2007, 21:53
I've shot 4X5 quite a few times in Volcanoes, and never been asked for a permit. The only place I know you can't use one is the Arizona Memorial or USS Missouri. If you have any specific questions about photographing here, feel free to ask. I've lived on Oahu for almost 10 years so I know my way around the island.

Barry Thelen
12-Jul-2007, 09:31
Brett,
The places I can remember that I was hassled about setting up a 4X5 are
1. At the top of Cadillac Mountain in Acadia National Park. The guy had no idea what a large format camera was and eventually left me alone.
2. At Sand River in Ontario's Superior Provincial Park. Apparently they had an unregistered large format photo workshop there earlier in the week. He also left me alone after a while.
3. Mayan ruins at Tulum in the Yucatan. I know, I should've checked that out before I went. That's what I'm doing now for Hawaii.

I think I will use your link to be prepared with the rules, as mentioned by Kirk.

Robert, I do have a couple of questions about photographing the telescopes/observatories on Mauna Kea. Is it practical to use a 4X5 up there or is it usually too windy? Is there a decent way to get to the top where I would have a couple of hours instead of being with a fast moving tour.

Thanks, everybody for your responses.

roteague
12-Jul-2007, 22:18
Robert, I do have a couple of questions about photographing the telescopes/observatories on Mauna Kea. Is it practical to use a 4X5 up there or is it usually too windy? Is there a decent way to get to the top where I would have a couple of hours instead of being with a fast moving tour.

I've photographed from the top of Haleakala on Maui with 4x5, so it can be done. The biggest problem you will face is getting there. Most of the rental car agencies won't allow their cars to be driven up there (or on Saddle Road). There are some local agencies that might. I'll ask one of my coworkers tomorrow (he lives in Hilo).

John Kasaian
13-Jul-2007, 21:01
I just got back from Oahu this morning at 2:00AM and while this time wasn't a "photo-op" trip, I've taken my 4x5 to Hawaii in the past. The only difficulty I had was at an ultra modern shopping mall where I asked a security guy if I could take some photos and was told absolutely not (apparently he was unaware of the 200 or so Japanese tourists happily snapping away with digis as he was 'inspecting' my 1950's Crown Graphic!) Have a great trip!

roteague
13-Jul-2007, 21:25
I checked with my friend, he doesn't know anyone that will rent a car to go up Mauna Kea. You will violate your rental car if you drive up Saddle Road, so your best bet would be to take a tour bus. Sorry. If you happen to go over to Maui, you can drive to the top of Haleakela and photograph the observatories there.

John, I wouldn't have bothered to ask. I work about 3 blocks from Ala Moana (I assume you were referring to this mall). If I had known you were around, I would have met you over there. The manager of the Ritz camera store there at the mall is a 4x5 photographer as well.

Edwin Beckenbach
13-Jul-2007, 23:07
If you want to go to Mauna Kea or the saddle road you will have to violate your rental agreement (I did many times when I was there but I have very good insurance outside of the rental contract). If you decide to do it I'd recommend renting a 4wd Jeep. Neither road is all that bad but I wouldn't even consider attempting Mauna Kea with a sedan. The Road up is very steep but is well maintained asphalt and very well graded gravel. The saddle Road has a good deal of potholes but it's no big deal if you keep the speed down and be aware that it is often raining very hard toward the east end. If you get a jeep you can also explore the south tip of the island which is very scenic.

Mauna Kea is really not to be missed even though it can be prohibitively windy for LF photography. It is worth it just to see the view not to mention having the experience of going from sea level to 13,000ft in an hour. Bring some warm clothes.

Barry Thelen
14-Jul-2007, 16:19
Thanks for the information. I think I will take a tour and carry my little Fuji 645 "point N' shoot" with my monopod instead of my 4X5 and tripod. I suppose going up in elevation that far I don't want to overexert myself, anyway.