PDA

View Full Version : New Book on CD-ROM

Bruce Barlow
10-Jul-2007, 08:25
Finely Focused: a Guide to Traditional Photography is now available on CD-Rom from www.circleofthesunproductions.com (http://www.circleofthesunproductions.com). $25 includes First Class Postage worldwide.

Adapted from the highly-rated materials from Fine Focus Workshops, this 181-page book covers an introduction to large format photography equipment, materials and traditional processes. Based on the idea that techniques should be simple, reliable, and repeatable, the book takes the mystery out of large format photography, the Zone System, and other tools photographers use. Exercises are designed to form good habits when doing mechanical tasks, and can enable any photographer to be familiar and comfortable with large format stuff.

But more than that, author Bruce Barlow (Hey! That's me!) wades into picture-making, discussing composition, Head, Hands and Heart in photography, and gives many exercises for improving one's seeing. In fact, the exercises are at the heart of Finely Focused, and those who do them will see their images improve. Most of these exercises are applicable to any photographic format, even digital image-making.

Finely Focused is distributed on CD-ROM in .pdf format, requiring Adobe Reader 6.0 or higher. It's up to you to print any or all of it.

Finely Focused also includes the procedures, .1 ND filter and Zone VIII example used in my Film Test Kit, so if you buy Finely Focused you do not need the Film Test Kit. The inclusion of the .1 ND and Zone VIII example are what keeps me from making Finely Focused available as a download.

John Bowen
10-Jul-2007, 20:23
If this is the same information that Bruce handed out at last year's Fine Focus Fall Foliage workshop then it is certainly worth much more than the $25 price tag. The information contained in that handout is "Priceless." Bruce does an outstanding job of combining "Zone System" technique with exercises that would challenge and improve even the most experienced of photographers.

Anytime I find myself needing a good swift kick in the pants to "get out there and photograph" picking up this little gem and selecting one of the exercises to perform is just what the Dr. ordered to get the old photographic juices flowing again.

Needless to say this is highly recommended.

John

Steve Kefford
11-Jul-2007, 09:29
.....Needless to say this is highly recommended.

John

Whilst the content might be very good indeed, the idea of a "book" on a cd-rom is not one that takes my fancy. Whilst there are undoubted advantages to the author in producing a cd, there are masive disadvantages for the reader. There must be other options availabale for limited quantity print runs. I do believe that there are print-on-demand services available.

Steve

Bruce Barlow
11-Jul-2007, 13:00
Whilst the content might be very good indeed, the idea of a "book" on a cd-rom is not one that takes my fancy. Whilst there are undoubted advantages to the author in producing a cd, there are masive disadvantages for the reader. There must be other options availabale for limited quantity print runs. I do believe that there are print-on-demand services available.

Steve

There are advantages to CD ROM. For one, it's much easier and cheaper to mail. Were I to print it, it would cost a minimum of $13 per copy with no minimum number of copies, and a minimum of about $4,000 for a "limited print run," which exceeds by far the projected gross revenue from sales for the book. Either option would have resulted in a far higher price, which I also feel is disadvantageous to the buyer.

On the other hand, I fail to see the "masive" (sic) disadvantages for the reader, and can think of distinct advantages, such as printing only the exercises and putting them in a binder for easy reference, printing it smaller (and using a magnifying glass, I guess), or not printing it at all. Should I revise and update it, who knows? Maybe I'll send a copy of the revised CD to all prior purchasers for free. Finally, distribution on CD ROM saves trees, and that in itself is an advantage for us all.

I do understand your reluctance, and respect your opinion. I shan't expect an order from you.

As for Mr. Bowen's kind words, please everyone understand that he is a multiple-time victim of Fine Focus Workshops (with another one about to be inflicted on him!), which means by this time he is a good friend. By the way, he's also a crack photographer and an owner of mutual-friend Richard Ritter's 7x17 camera. So his opinion is biased, methinks, but credible. And greatly appreciated.

Blacky Dalton
11-Jul-2007, 16:49
An interesting topic indeed. . . I have to agree that I really do not care for books in PDF format either, especially a technical book. . . there is something about having print in hand. As far as limited run printing of technical books is concerned, I have an old friend that has been producing his own books for over 12 years now!

For him, printing a book of 50-150 pages is accomplished using a laser printer, comb binding machine and a laminator to make the covers. If you are supplying written and bound material to a limited audience, this is really quite a doable project. If I recall correctly, my friend told me once that his largest order was 150 copies at one time. And he usually prints 12-24 copies at a time and seems to keep up with his demand without that much of his time devoted to running his own print shop.

If I were to write a technical book on photography I certainly would look into doing my own printing. Let's face it, the demand for such books should not outstrip one’s capabilities to produce. Just a thought from the hills of West (by God) Virginia???

B Dalton

John Bowen
11-Jul-2007, 17:45
Bruce,

Perhaps you should offer it for $25 on a CD or $40 for a printed book and let your customers decide how they want to purchase it. Either way, it will be $$ well spent.

And yes, I've attended 4 Fine Focus Workshops, and if they weren't worth the time and $$, I would NEVER continue to make the 1100 mile round trip drive from Richmond. I think of Bruce, Richard and Ted as my personal mentors. Between the three of them they have an extremely diverse body of knowledge and are always willing to share their collective wisedom.

I look forward to our next meeting,

John

Jiri Vasina
12-Jul-2007, 01:09
I can see the points on both sides. I too think that a printed book on such technical issues is better. On the other hand, I'm in Europe and the cost of shipment of a book from across the ocean would make the price higher. Not unbearably, but enough to make me think about the purchase more (I ordered the CD already). So in the end I was glad that I could order it on CD (even better would be a direct download, but there is some "hardware" included with the CD) and I will print parts or the whole book myself. And doing basically what Blacky Dalton proposes with binding and laminating...

I think the best idea is to provide both ways of obtaining the book - electronically (preferably a download), which would be cheaper, and a printed one.

Btw. the proposed book of photos by contributors of this forum will be done by LuLu.com - could this book be also prepared in such a way as to be printed on demand with similar service?

John Hannon
12-Jul-2007, 02:18
Just ordered my copy. I have many manuals and publications in PDF form. Sections of interest or exercises can be printed out without hauling a book around.

I am hoping it is the next best thing to attending the workshops. My work schedule has been conflicting with many of the dates.

--John

Steve Kefford
12-Jul-2007, 04:40
There are advantages to CD ROM. For one, it's much easier and cheaper to mail. Were I to print it, it would cost a minimum of $13 per copy with no minimum number of copies, and a minimum of about $4,000 for a "limited print run," ......

On the other hand, I fail to see the "masive" (sic) disadvantages for the reader, ....

Finally, distribution on CD ROM saves trees, and that in itself is an advantage for us all.

Bruce,

As I said, I don't doubt the advanatges to the author. However, as I mentioned in my initial post, I do belive that there are other options that are geared directley to small intermitent print runs, that require no initial up front investment on the authors behalf. I have no experience of them, but it is an option that I thought an author would be interested in.

The massive disadvantages are that reading large amounts of text on a screen is very bad for eyes. In addition spending too long in front of a computer screen is bad for posture, and some other specific health condition. Many people, myself included, want to pursue passtimes that involve less time in front of a screen, not more. In addition, it is an awful way of reading large amounts of text. The reader is less able to to take it all in, even more so if the subject of the text is of a complex nature.

Also, to optimise for on-screen reading, the layout has to be modified compared to what is best for print. E.g. a lot more white space is required for good on-screen design. For anything other than small amounts of data, there has to be a significant compromise between on-screen layout and print layout. I.e. if it is good for print, it is bad for on-screen, and vice-versa. These are not revolutionary ideas, but very well accepted principles. Any graphic designer worth his or her salt will confirm this.

And as an aside, there is the major inconvenience of having to have a computer to read the book. If the reader was to print it out, depending upon many pages, the cost of the book would increase significantly.

AFAIAC, these disadvantages are massive.

I have been working in IT for a number of years, and have often heard the idea of migrating to the "paperless office". for many reasons, including those above, this concept is generally a myth.

I do accept that there are advantages to electronic format, specifically searching. This is a very major advantage. Also, hyperlinking, if done well, can also be an advantage. However, to do this well, requires a very different document structure.

Concerning the tree issue, I passionatley believe in conservation, but using paper from a well managed source, can be beneficial to the environment.

I wll not be purchasing a copy, and this is in no way based upon the content. If it was available, at a reasonable price, in hardcopy format, I would then look at it again.

Steve

Bill Kumpf
12-Jul-2007, 04:42
I received the CD at the Intro Workshop during the View Camera Conference in Louisville. We did several of the exercises during the workshop and since returning home I have continue them.

I like the printable format. I print a copy, use it during the exercise, write notes on it, and utterly trash it. Back in the office, I print a new copy, transfer my notes and file a clean copy. This is a very usable CD and Bruce presents the topics in a readable form.

I personally like the CD-ROM format and would recommend it.

Bill

j.e.simmons
12-Jul-2007, 05:07
I don't have a problem with the pdf format. I have a lot of music software and the manuals are all pdf format now.

Perhaps, Bruce, you might look at one of the printing outfits like lulu.com. I know some folks have been unhappy with them for printing photo books, but they might be perfectly acceptable for a technical book.
juan

paul stimac
12-Jul-2007, 05:43
Bruce,

Perhaps you should offer it for $25 on a CD or $40 for a printed book and let your customers decide how they want to purchase it. Either way, it will be $$ well spent.

John

You can put the printed version up on Blurb.com and increase the price by whatever blurb charges. This will cost you nothing except a little time to rebuild the book with Blurbs software. This can be a very easy process if it's already in pdf format.

There are other "one book at a time" print services like Blurb. I like blurb because they are cheap and the quality is pretty good as long as you have all your images in srgb before bringing them into the book. Blurb will post your book online and handles all your sales and shipping.

Jay Wolfe
12-Jul-2007, 07:23
I fail to understand why people cannot understand that they can print the entire book themselves unless they don't know how to use a printer! Seems to me it's a good medium for this sort of work.

Mark Stahlke
12-Jul-2007, 08:52
I love the irony of a "Guide to Traditional Photography" that's only available in digital format. Delicious.

A.C.
12-Jul-2007, 11:29
I'd like to offer support for your efforts - and I've ordered it as a gift.
Let me know when to expect it.
Cheers,

A.C.

Tim Hyde
12-Jul-2007, 12:08
I suggest that people who refuse to buy books and manuals in electronic format are going to find their hozizons narrowed in years to come. For crying out loud! It's even easier than Jay suggests: take the damned thing down to the corner PIP or Quick Print or Mail Box and have them print it.

This is very good value for 25 bucks, by the way. It includes a lot of information.

Bruce Barlow
12-Jul-2007, 14:29
I'd like to offer support for your efforts - and I've ordered it as a gift.
Let me know when to expect it.
Cheers,

A.C.

Thank you, AC. I got waylaid by having Richard Ritter repair my 4x5 today (traded him for brownies and some other goodies), so it will get air-mailed tomorrow. How long does it take to cross the Big Pond? Don't know.

To the rest: for the cost of paper and a little ink, print it yourself, or better yet, only parts of it. Yes, save your eyes and back from screens and awful chairs (I'm sitting in one right now), but maybe save a tree, too! It's formatted to be easy to read on standard paper (big margins), and printed two-sided (mirror margins).

Lulu.com's entry-level price is way beyond lifetime projected sales, and on-demand printing isn't cheap. These other alternatives for printing and fulfillment raise the price beyond what I want to charge. Right now, if I sell 1,000 copies I will have battled my way up to the current minimum wage, having tracked how much effort has gone into developing it. 1,000 is several times what I project to sell. I ain't in this to pay the grocery bill.

Rather, I'd like it to be used to help folks improve their photography. If I can keep it inexpensive, that's great.

Thanks to those who have offered support, especially esteemed workshop alums!

PhotoHistorian
12-Jul-2007, 15:08
I have not had a chance to review "Finely Focused: a Guide to Traditional Photography" as yet. I look forward to reviewing it in the very near future.
That said, the best photography book I have reviewed of late is a series by photographer J.B. Harlin. Mr. Harlin's four book series include the titles: "Fine Art Black and White Photography"; "The Film Exposure Workbook"; "Fine Art Black and White Printing" and "Using the Wooden Field Camera."
All the books are most informative and very well written. They can be enjoyed by the seasoned large format veteran or the rank beginner.
Here is a link to more info about the books: http://www.jbhphoto.com/jbhbooks.htm

I would highly recommend the series to anyone who is serious about large format, fine art photography,

Walker Edmondson

jwaddison
12-Jul-2007, 16:19
Sounds good to me. I just ordered a copy. I'll either print it myself or take it to the local Mailboxes Etc. (or whatever they call themselves now) and have them do it. I don't mind reading from a computer screen, but my brain has trouble retaining the info.

Ken Schroeder
13-Jul-2007, 04:16
I like the idea of the CD format. I have an extensive personal library which I treasure. However, I find myself doing more study online lately. I don't think most beginning technical information needs to be in book form. I applaud Bruce's effort.

I think Bill Troop has really made very good use of the different media. His Film Developing Cookbook (cowritten with Steve Anchell) should be in all our libraries. The spiral binding makes it very handy to leave open in the darkroom. Bill also gets around Fred Picker's comment, "time makes fibbers of us all" by posting "errata" on his website. Congratulations, Bill, for realizing we all make mistakes and typos and having the courage to make corrections readily available.

The $25 pricing puts the cost where it should be. The actual CD can be reproduced inexpensively in numbers. The fee should go largely to the author for the intellectual part of the product. The CD format helps this. Keep up the good work, Bruce.

Ken

Jim Grimes
14-Jul-2007, 13:37
I have been through several of the Fine Focus workshops and have read and reread the information that Bruce has compiled on this CD. It is valuable and USEFUL information and should be in the library of all LF shooters. What's wrong with taking the CD to Staples and having them print it for you? The owner would then have a hard copy as well as the electronic copy. Either way, it's a bargain at the price. Stop quibbling and just order it.

James

A.C.
15-Jul-2007, 15:32
Thank you, AC. I got waylaid by having Richard Ritter repair my 4x5 today (traded him for brownies and some other goodies), so it will get air-mailed tomorrow. How long does it take to cross the Big Pond? Don't know.
Bruce
No worries, sounds like a good reason for a delay to me...
There's been that much rain here lately its questionable whether you should just float it across the pond :)
USPS takes a week or so normally.
I wish you success. I'll try a workshop if I ever get there at the right time!
Cheers
A.C.

windpointphoto
15-Jul-2007, 16:22
I love the irony of a "Guide to Traditional Photography" that's only available in digital format. Delicious.

Yeah Bruce. You should write it with a fountain pen or even a quill.

Ted Harris
15-Jul-2007, 17:24
A.C. almost anytime is a good time for our workshops. We usually have them in February, May, August, October in New Hampshire/Vermont and may also have one to three workshops in New Jersey and Kentucky in 2008.

Bruce Barlow
16-Jul-2007, 05:31
Yeah Bruce. You should write it with a fountain pen or even a quill.

I love my fountain pens, and yes, much of it was written with a Mont Blanc before entry onto the Big Screen.

I am indebted to Mark, however, because his comment prompted me to rethink the title for any revised version that may surface, and the subtitle will change to "Mechanics and Creativity in Traditional Photography." Thanks, Mark!

Wendell Berry, a wonderful writer, wrote an essay titled "Why I Will Never Own a Computer," in which he rejoices in drafting his work with #2 pencils and a legal pad, in part because he loves the tactile sensation of pencil scratching paper.

Here's a Berry quote for landscape photographers from his book Jayber Crow:

"What I had come to know (by feeling only) was that the place’s true being, its presence, you might say, was a sort of current, like an underground flow of water, except that the flowing was in all directions yet did not flow away. When it rose into your heart and throat, you felt joy and sorrow at the same time, and the joining of times and lives. To come into the presence of the place was to know life and death, and to be near in all your thoughts to laughter and to tears. This would come over you and then pass away, as fragile as a moment of light."

Wish my pictures could express it that beautifully.

windpointphoto
16-Jul-2007, 07:18
I shouldn't have taken a shot at Mark but really...It just doesn't seem to matter how much work and effort someone makes, (181 page book for goodness sake) there are always people here that will find reason to nit pick. Reminds me of being in a camera club. Good for you Bruce. I applaud your time and energy. Fred would be proud.

Jim Grimes
18-Jul-2007, 13:16
...and may also have one to three workshops in New Jersey and Kentucky in 2008.

New Jersey????? what, when, and where exactly?

James

RichardRitter
18-Jul-2007, 15:08
"Fred would be proud."

Yea right!

A.C.
20-Jul-2007, 10:06
Ted - thanks for the workshop dates & info.
Bruce - package not yet landed, will update you when it does
A.C.

A.C.
24-Jul-2007, 02:11
Bruce - package not yet landed, will update you when it does
A.C.

...and here is that update! - landed safely today, and I will be enjoying the contents very shortly.
Best wishes
A.C.

Bruce Barlow
24-Jul-2007, 05:58
...and here is that update! - landed safely today, and I will be enjoying the contents very shortly.
Best wishes
A.C.

Hooray! Nice to know that the mail DOES go through. Hope it didn't get wet crossing the Big Pond.

A.C.
24-Jul-2007, 14:24
Bruce
Dry and sound, thanks.
I'm enthusiastically reading through the document for the first time to get an overview; I find so far that it offers a very rounded, helpful, practical approach that appeals to me.
I rather think that I will enjoy working with you (it) to improve my own creative thought processes. Being a left-brain type, it seems that I have some additional reading to do, too...
On first impression, then, I believe that I can commend it to LFers and LFPF readers (whether they like the CD idea or not!) It covers all the relevant issues from the base level.
Don't know what that recommendation is worth, but there you are!
A.C.

Bruce Barlow
31-Jul-2007, 10:08
Whoa! It's been a while since I checked in here, and so I am tardy with my thanks, A.C., for those kind words! Since an undertaking like this is ultimately a purely narcissistic enterprise, my ego thanks you for the stroking!

Hope you continue to enjoy it, and let me know of any questions you may have.

Thanks again!

Bruce